OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
The Joe Rogan pictures in another thread clearly show that the Sail Panel storage lids are gone.

And the pictures suggest that the Vault's bed material may be injection molded plastic.

I would say that the sail panels are gone because the bed is now plastic. The stainless steel vault was probably structural because of the sail storage. Now, the sail and rear fender are one piece, moving the structural strength to the exoskeleton skin.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
The Joe Rogan pictures in another thread clearly show that the Sail Panel storage lids are gone.

And the pictures suggest that the Vault's bed material may be injection molded plastic.

I would say that the sail panels are gone because the bed is now plastic. The stainless steel vault was probably structural because of the sail storage. Now, the sail and rear fender are once piece, moving the structural strength to the exoskeleton skin.
I think getting rid of the sail panels makes sense as it would have been very limited storage and added cost, complexity, and fragility for not much benefit. The frunk is plenty of none bed storage IMO

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

I would say that the sail panels are gone because the bed is now plastic. The stainless steel vault was probably structural because of the sail storage. Now, the sail and rear fender are once piece, moving the structural strength to the exoskeleton skin.
I always wondered how they would get the sail pillar working without compromising the exoskeleton. It is a feature I would very much like myself. Semi organizable storage for tools and small riding supplies would be fantastic.

Still holding out hope. There are a few other features which I think will be in the final which are not in this version the ramp being the biggie.

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have been sooooo excited for the sail pillars... Never officially announced, so gives them opportunity to put them on the complexity/cost chopping block ?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have been sooooo excited for the sail pillars... Never officially announced, so gives them opportunity to put them on the complexity/cost chopping block ?
They were mentioned in the product launch page. “Over 100 cubic feet of storage in the frunk, vault and sail pillars” I think is what it said.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I assumed the sail storage space went down into the bed walls. I also assumed the walls were fairly thick because there are no wheel wells in the bed like most trucks. If my assumptions are correct, that seems like a lot of empty space. Maybe the air compressor is in there. Maybe the 120V/240VAC inverters for the outlets, but otherwise ???

Am I missing something in my assumptions?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I assumed the sail storage space went down into the bed walls. I also assumed the walls were fairly thick because there are no wheel wells in the bed like most trucks. If my assumptions are correct, that seems like a lot of empty space. Maybe the air compressor is in there. Maybe the 120V/240VAC inverters for the outlets, but otherwise ???

Am I missing something in my assumptions?
I thought they were about 6” wide and perhaps a foot deep. Big enough for small tools and gear. Maybe: Helmet, Shoes, hydration pack, and Gloves… the sort of small stuff which I need every ride and ends up getting dropped on the back seat covered in mud because it’s easy to get into the back seat when I wrap up a ride.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag

better be steel need some work to do!!!

Sails for?

Tesla Cybertruck Sail Panels vs Plastic Vault? cyber Trk missiles

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
... Helmet, Shoes, hydration pack, and Gloves… the sort of small stuff which I need every ride and ends up getting dropped on the back seat covered in mud ...
Same, I imagined the sail space is also perfect for off-road gear like tow straps, gloves, snatch block, clevices, winch blanket, etc.

It would be pretty awesome if it stuck around.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Same, I imagined the sail space is also perfect for off-road gear like tow straps, gloves, snatch block, clevices, winch blanket, etc.

It would be pretty awesome if it stuck around.
In my book, having the sail pillars is a necessary evil. They are annoying for a lot of truck type tasks.

Having storage inside of them turns that liability into at least a push, and possibly a net wIn.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
But we all know in reality that burger wrappers, half-consumed soda bottles, and balled up receipts will come tumbling out all over the street when we hit the "open" button.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But we all know in reality that burger wrappers, half-consumed soda bottles, and balled up receipts will come tumbling out all over the street when we hit the "open" button.
Another problem sail pillars introduce. How the hell do you roll down the driver’s window and toss beer cans into the back? Does the vault cover even roll down when driving?
Sponsored