g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
One press makes rears, another press makes fronts. They're different parts with different surface area, the rear requires the 9k because of a much larger surface area.

-Crissa
I wouldn’t be surprised if the front is 6k casted.

If 9k casted, bearish.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
So, I haven’t read all the post on here yet so I don’t know if it’s been discussed. Somewhere in one of the Idea videos I remember reading that the cycle time is about 2 minutes to cast a part in the gigapress. So if it ran nonstop all year that’s about 260,000 fronts or rears or 130,000 fronts and rears for a complete truck. Maximum. That’s a lot but it’s far from the production values that Tesla is aiming for. My bet is one of those is to cast the front and one is to cast the rear, which would put production capacity at 260,000 for now. Or they will use smaller casting presses for the front and those larger presses for the rear which would put capacity at 520,000. Obviously these are maximum numbers. The presses will certainly have some downtime.
Yes, these are maximums and those are reasonable guesses. And yes, this has been discussed here many times but not in this thread. It is possible that the front could be cast with a 6KT, but if another 9KT is delivered it will surely be for the front. They could surely do what they have done before and that is to make a bunch of rears, switch the dies, and make a bunch of fronts. So there are several ways they could go into production once they iron out any bugs in the new machine(s). It does all suggest a slow ramp on the gigapresses, but plenty of time to get to a reasonable number this year. I am still hoping that the components that @greggertruck has found evidence of are for a second 9KT gigapress and that we will see it delivered before June.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
One thing is for sure. All of the major auto manufacturers are going to be reverse engineering the first Cybertruck they can get their hands on.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
One thing is for sure. All of the major auto manufacturers are going to be reverse engineering the first Cybertruck they can get their hands on.
Maybe Sandy Munro and Team will be there first! Can't wait for their teardown! 🍿

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Doubtful it is "All" or even "most".

1. Only three major auto manufacturers ( Ford, GM, RAM) make almost all full-size pickup trucks.

2. Toyota & the other Japanese major auto manufacturers don't believe there is enough lithium in the world to make even compact sized full electric BEV cars so how could there be enough lithium to make the massive batteries needed for pickup truck EVs.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Doubtful it is "All" or even "most".

1. Only three major auto manufacturers ( Ford, GM, RAM) make almost all full-size pickup trucks.

2. Toyota & the other Japanese major auto manufacturers don't believe there is enough lithium in the world to make even compact sized full electric BEV cars so how could there be enough lithium to make the massive batteries needed for pickup truck EVs.
Although your comment about Toyota et al may be correct, I can see them wanting to tear the Cybertruck down nonetheless. We cannot count on them being stupid forever, nor to follow up on their public stupid comments and actions. They build trucks and they will try to protect their customer base. They will not have a choice in the long run.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
We cannot count on them being stupid forever, nor to follow up on their public stupid comments and actions. They build trucks and they will try to protect their customer base. They will not have a choice in the long run.
Past performance is no guarantee of future.

Quote attributed to economist John Maynard Keynes – “Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent”

Was it George Carlin who said: ''Think Of How Stupid The Average CEO Is, And Realize Half Of Them Are Stupider Than That''

Until we can make green hydrogen cheaply and at scale it not going to work as fuel for mass market transport.

I think green hydrogen cheaply and at scale might happen in distant future (over 40 years from now) but only as a result of the cheap and plentiful electricity derived from Tony Seba's Clean Energy Super-Power (solar/wind/batteries) concept has been fully implemented.
https://tonyseba.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/RethinkingEnergy2020-2030-LRR.pdf

-----------------------

In 2023, from Toyota and Toyota's new CEO Koji Sato:

Hydrogen Cars Remain Toyota’s Priority, Says New CEO Koji Sato
23 Mar 2023 by hydrogenfuelnews
https://www.world-energy.org/article/30441.html

Toyota's hydrogen-powered Corolla race car catches fire
15 mar 2023
https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/toyotas-hydrogen-powered-corolla-race-car-catches-fire

New Toyota CEO Koji Sato Reveals Hydrogen Combustion Engine | Shocks Industry!
Mar 23, 2023
Velocity

-----

-----------------------

Really, air polluting (exhaust is not just water), uses expensive fuel (green hydrogen), no home/work refueling (like charging), no regen from braking, unreliable, expensive to make, energy inefficient Hydrogen Combustion Engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
Maybe Sandy Munro and Team will be there first! Can't wait for their teardown! 🍿
I promise their Cybertruck videos will be their biggest videos of all time.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
100% agree. The video will break a record for the number of views.
… for them.

Baby by Justin Bieber is still a way better way to spend 3 minutes. ;)

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
Have they started unboxing these yet?
I personally believe those were actually the moulds arriving in Texas last week, but my BOL I posted for the press has yet to arrive on site
Sponsored