Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3316

Instead of a complicated PTO off of one of the drive motors, why not just a smaller motor that mounts to the front or back that handles all of these PTO functions? Tesla can certainly make little motors with the correct rpms/gear ratios needed for compressors or winches. This motor could even plug in via the ethernet bus to the main pc of the car if it needs to be controlled at the driver's seat for plows, etc. They say that the main drive motors cost $1K each so it's anyone's guess what this may sell for.

I only say this to get folks spun up about 5 Motor Cybertrucks, which makes quads look sensible. :p
Yes dedicated equipment powered by 240v is likely the more sensible approach but it does require purchasing new equipment, having a spinning shaft allows for use of existing equipment and solutions.
Sponsored

Deleted member 3316

I am only on page 3. Anybody know if the heat pump will be 48VDC? Solar will be a little easier at 48VDC. There are lots of 24VDC panels that can be placed in series.

Even if there wasn't a super efficient way to get power back into the traction pack you would still gain range with less battery going to HVAC and other drains.
Everything other than drive train and 110/240 outlets will be 48v.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Storage racks for the rear quarter panel storage (which I hope exists)

1678520803441.png

• Winch
  • Shelving to replace rear seats.
  • in cabin camping accessories (bed for back seat for example)
I think that area will be is stuffed with RWS components.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Depending on the exact mix and grade of 30X stainless the CT uses you might not be able to use magnets, because good non-oxidising types of stainless are also not magnetic. Also the roof is glass and not steel, so you will be probably better off with a suction cup, or g-clamp construction that goes over the edge of a panel. The biggest issue is that there is no horizontal level ground plane, so finding the best location might be a matter of testing a few with a SWR meter.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think that area will be is stuffed with RWS components.
A steering rack has no parts on the sides of the wheels, it's all inbetween the wheels parallel to the axle and barely takes up any space. The side sails likely fold upwards like a hatchback.

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 1679794047901

Kingleo

First Name
Leonard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Mail man
Country flag
It should be possible to have a “roof top tent” that tucks under the vault cover out of the wind entirely. You should even be able to store stuff under it.
Wouldn’t that be the cyberlander?

Deleted member 3316

A steering rack has no parts on the sides of the wheels, it's all inbetween the wheels parallel to the axle and barely takes up any space. The side sails likely fold upwards like a hatchback.
Have a look at the slides from investor day. You can see that the side sails are largely taken up by a massive cast piece supporting the bed.

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 1679810204674

It appears the the bed hangs off these rather than sitting on a ladder chassis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 3316

I’m pretty sure this will be one of the first Tesla accessories (sans fuses). I’m guessing you’ll have a software limit on the amperage, programable for each device you wish hook up. If it’s a smart device it should be able to communicate directly with the UI also.

This was on my list also .
With the deletion of the centre console seat there’ll be plenty of room for radios under there or in the vast expanse under the dash board.

I’d hazard a guess the difficulty undoing will be significantly less arduous than a vehicle with pai

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

1679794047901.png
I don't think the rear-wheel steering on the Cybertruck will use a traditional steering rack. I think it's more likely that the steering will be driven by independent electric motors, one for each wheel. There is a lot of potential for clever engineering here and we have no idea how Tesla will implement it. Rather than rack my brain and figure out ways Tesla could come up with innovative solutions, I think I'll just wait until the first tear-down is published. If I had to guess now, I would say they might use linear actuators that they manufacture in-house for the specific application.

On every new model, Tesla is becoming their own supplier for an increasing percentage of the entire vehicle. That's less parts to spec out to suppliers, less parts to ship, and less parts to purchase. This is a primary reason why Tesla is able to offer new vehicle buyers more value than any other manufacturer. None of the rest are willing to innovate in such a bold manner.

Deleted member 3316

On every new model, Tesla is becoming their own supplier for an increasing percentage of the entire vehicle. That's less parts to spec out to suppliers, less parts to ship, and less parts to purchase.
It also allows them to work up and optimise a design then provide exact specifications if external suppliers need to be engaged to accelerate a ramp.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Have a look at the slides from investor day. You can see that the side sails are largely taken up by a massive cast piece supporting the bed.

1679810204674.png

It appears the the bed hangs off these rather than sitting on a ladder chassis.
The main support for the bed was always the inside bed wall, not the outside wall of the CT. So even now with the cast it can open storage outwards. There's about 3-400l on each side that they can't use for anything else. Regardless, the storage is not gone because of the steering parts, there are absolutely NO steering parts in the sail areas, and I can't imagine technically any reason to put the steering in there at all, there is no geometry that works to actuate the wheel steering from there. A simple rack and pinion, likely drive by wire, will suffice and be the cheapest option by far.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I don't think the rear-wheel steering on the Cybertruck will use a traditional steering rack. I think it's more likely that the steering will be driven by independent electric motors, one for each wheel. There is a lot of potential for clever engineering here and we have no idea how Tesla will implement it. Rather than rack my brain and figure out ways Tesla could come up with innovative solutions, I think I'll just wait until the first tear-down is published. If I had to guess now, I would say they might use linear actuators that they manufacture in-house for the specific application.

On every new model, Tesla is becoming their own supplier for an increasing percentage of the entire vehicle. That's less parts to spec out to suppliers, less parts to ship, and less parts to purchase. This is a primary reason why Tesla is able to offer new vehicle buyers more value than any other manufacturer. None of the rest are willing to innovate in such a bold manner.
There is no reason whatsoever to have a non-Ackermann geometry and linkage and go with individually steering wheels. There's also not enough wheel clearance inside the wheel wells for enough angle to do diamond steer or any other fantasy people might have.

There is also no way to actuate the wheel steering from around the corner from the sail area, without using a steering rod that has the right geometry to follow the suspension stroke precisely, to avoid bump steer. If a steering mechanism is incorporated in the wheel hub on the wheel itself, it will add to the unsuspended mass and be subject to more ride harshness, so would have to be built even tougher. Besides both wheels need to track eachother, Wheel alignment is nigh impossible, let alone compensating for failures.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.