Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor CT, '06 Ford F250 Super Duty, '18 Model 3 Dual Motor, '08 Subaru STI
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
I really liked the ramp at the unveiling, but the more I see it, I don't like it as much. IMO, the steep angle of the ramp and then the "breakover angle" hump where the ramp meets the tailgate will make it less useful when put to real world use. It would work great for loading in high ground clearance off-road toys, but walking up it to get in the bed likely will be a bit tricky and loading something like a lawnmower would high center. I mainly wanted the ramp as a way to get in and out of the truck bed easier (walking in) while loading and unloading the bed for trips. Getting up into a high ground clearance truck bed without a step is no easy matter. If the ramp can't achieve a less severe angle, then I'd bet the walk up won't be as convenient as I had hoped. I'd almost prefer just a drop down step like the Ford or Chevy trucks have if the ramp angle can't be cut down. Maybe we could get both a ramp and a step and use whichever one you need at that particular time?
If you look closely there is a step built into both sides of the tailgate. That same step has been there from the unveiling, so there are lots of good shots of it. I am personally very impressed with how low that back end can squat. I don't think any other truck comes close to the functionality of this design.
Sponsored

Eddie_Catflap

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester SJ 2.5i
Occupation
Archaeologist
Country flag
Fingers crossed for a ramp angle similar to this... Would be great for loading our ride-on lawn mower...etc. ?

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck Lowered Rear Air Suspension and Drops Tailgate Ramp @ Giga Texas 1621381341333

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
I really liked the ramp at the unveiling, but the more I see it, I don't like it as much. IMO, the steep angle of the ramp and then the "breakover angle" hump where the ramp meets the tailgate will make it less useful when put to real world use. It would work great for loading in high ground clearance off-road toys, but walking up it to get in the bed likely will be a bit tricky and loading something like a lawnmower would high center. I mainly wanted the ramp as a way to get in and out of the truck bed easier (walking in) while loading and unloading the bed for trips. Getting up into a high ground clearance truck bed without a step is no easy matter. If the ramp can't achieve a less severe angle, then I'd bet the walk up won't be as convenient as I had hoped. I'd almost prefer just a drop down step like the Ford or Chevy trucks have if the ramp angle can't be cut down. Maybe we could get both a ramp and a step and use whichever one you need at that particular time?
I really like the GMC truck bed with the staircase that folds out from the tailgate. But for some reason I believe I will love the cybertruck like my firstborn.... lol

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Fingers crossed for a ramp angle similar to this... Would be great for loading our ride-on lawn mower...etc. ?

1621381341333.png
This is the one that made me like the ramp. I wonder if this is a render. Note that it does not have the gripping plates on the ramp that we've seen in the prototype ever since the unveiling. Every action shot I've seen has a steeper angle. If we got the angle that shows in the pic in real practice, that would be very helpful.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you look closely there is a step built into both sides of the tailgate. That same step has been there from the unveiling, so there are lots of good shots of it. I am personally very impressed with how low that back end can squat. I don't think any other truck comes close to the functionality of this design.
My issue with the step in the side of the tailgate is that it really doesn't offer much of a lower entry point than the tailgate. All other step designs drop the first step at least a foot lower than the tailgate. If the back squats quickly (like within 10 seconds) and drops down a foot, then I'd just step onto the tailgate rather than stick my foot in a slight indention that is only a couple inches below the actual tailgate. Preferably, the side indention would have a drop step that comes out of it. That would be helpful. I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on the design of the CT. There are just a few things I hope they improve on before it goes full production.

To give an example of why I'd like a drop step...let's say you have a pallet of feed in the back of the truck, or just a bunch of stuff back there that weighs a lot. You need to hop into the bed quickly to grab something but aren't parked for the long haul. I would think in that scenario, you don't have time to let the suspension raise and lower or to pull out the ramp. You might not even have space in a lot of cases to pull out a 5' long ramp. It would be much easier to drop a step out of the tailgate for something like that than to wait for the suspension to lower. I wouldn't use the ramp for something like quickly getting and item out and jumping back in the CT to go along my way. It would be too much effort compared to other options. Now, if the suspension lowered quickly (and low enough) and raised back quickly to not even need a step, then maybe a step isn't needed. I'd like to see it in practice some more times on a near production level CT. I might go back and watch the Jay Leno episode to see how quickly they got onto the vault cover and exactly how they did it.

Eddie_Catflap

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester SJ 2.5i
Occupation
Archaeologist
Country flag
This is the one that made me like the ramp. I wonder if this is a render. Note that it does not have the gripping plates on the ramp that we've seen in the prototype ever since the unveiling. Every action shot I've seen has a steeper angle. If we got the angle that shows in the pic in real practice, that would be very helpful.
100% @cyberhunter - I wonder if the ramp angle will be variable, i.e. a mix of rear suspension height, ramp length deployed, ground level...etc.
Cheers

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
The rendering has a flat ramp, so it‘s possible the production version will as well.
1579DCF0-78E1-42F0-A38A-CA03EBE618BB.jpeg
I hope they make it happen, the prototype ramp doesn't look as ergonomic for field work.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I hope they make it happen, the prototype ramp doesn't look as ergonomic for field work.
The biggest difference between the rendering of the ramp and the prototype is the tailgate in the rendering drops significantly past parallel with the floor of the bed.

I bet the prototype tailgate just doesn't have the production mechanism/hinge that allows it to drop past parallel to the bed.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I can barely get into the back of my Dodge Ram 3500 with the tailgate down. It's easier when its closed bc I can step on the bumper and simultaneously pull myself up from the top of the closed tailgate, then swing a leg over.

As much as I like the CT's tailgate ramp idea, that thing has a few negatives going for it:

Heavy. If it's SS it's going to weigh a ton (will it have an electric tailgate lift option?).
It'll bend. Yup, no doubt someone will bend it and then the thing will be stuck open!
Low capacity. Dirt bikes and push mowers only.

Personally I don't need the complexity of the tailgate ramp system. Whatever I move regularly is likely to bend it (save for the dirt bikes).

Maybe the pull out ramp will be a delete option.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just re-watched the Jay Leno's Garage episode. Elon took a large step onto the fully lowered tailgate (looked beyond 90 Deg open). The suspension did not look lowered and Elon took a large step to get on the tailgate. Elon is 6'2" tall. Taking these factors into account, I would expect/hope that if you add a lowering of the suspension, most people could step onto the rear tailgate without a drop step. I still need to see it in use more times, but I'm hoping a drop step isn't even needed. In real practice I would hope the suspension could lower fairly quickly and raise back up quickly enough that doing this won't be a PITA for someone needing quick access to an item in the bed. Maybe the ramp pulls halfway out to make that initial step much lower? For big trucks the ease of bed access is an issue. My 2017 Ram 2500 (lifted) is like someone else stated...a PITA to get in the bed. I don't drop the tailgate unless I want to jump up there. I either step on the lowered license plate region of the bumper, up to top of bumper, then straddle over, or I step on rear tire (grabbing the bed rail) and straddle over. Not near as convenient or practical as my friend's Ford or Chevy which have drop steps in the tailgate. Believe me, it makes a big difference.
One thing I did notice in the episode as I re-watched it is that Elon one-hands the tailgate, so the tailgate in the prototype is not that heavy or has enough hydraulic assist to be easy to operate.
Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck Lowered Rear Air Suspension and Drops Tailgate Ramp @ Giga Texas 1621429446233

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck Lowered Rear Air Suspension and Drops Tailgate Ramp @ Giga Texas 1621429565973

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks like the whole car was lowered. Both front and back.
I believe the Cybertruck can be adjusted in the menu to automatically lower when put in park.

To put it in "Ramp Mode" would probably require selecting that option when exiting the truck (or using the phone app).

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As much as I like the CT's tailgate ramp idea, that thing has a few negatives going for it:

Heavy. If it's SS it's going to weigh a ton (will it have an electric tailgate lift option?).
It'll bend. Yup, no doubt someone will bend it and then the thing will be stuck open!
Low capacity. Dirt bikes and push mowers only.
You have no idea what the capacity of the ramp will be. During the CT reveal a battery-electric Cyber-quad (with rider on top) was shown using the ramp. That would be at least 400 lbs. plus the weight of the rider. So, probably 600 lbs. or more.

Personally I don't need the complexity of the tailgate ramp system. Whatever I move regularly is likely to bend it (save for the dirt bikes).
Please tell us, what is it you move so regularly that's going to damage the CT's ramp? If I had something too heavy for the ramp I would just throw a sheet of plywood or something on top of the ramp to increase it's loading capacity.

Last edited:

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
You have no idea what the capacity of the ramp will be. During the CT reveal a battery-electric Cyber-quad (with rider on top) was shown using the ramp. That would be at least 400 lbs. plus the weight of the rider. So, probably 600 lbs. or more.

Please tell us, what is you move so regularly that's going to damage the CT's ramp? If I had something too heavy for the ramp I would just throw a sheet of plywood or something on top of the ramp to increase it's loading capacity.
I regularly move with my Dodge a John Deere X595 garden tractor, diesel, 4x4, with rear wheel weights (80 pounds ea), 6 suitcase weights (40 ea), and a JD 45 front end loader. Or, if no FEL, then a 47" snow blower.

Tractor is 1080 pounds, add 400 for counter weights, add 515 for the FEL. Sub total 1995, add 70 for fuel, hydraulic fluid and engine oil. Total estimated 2065 pounds.

For this to fit in the CT, I will need to remove the suitcase weights and quick-tach bracket. Wheelbase is 4.5' but the overall is 6.56' feet. Looks like I'll need my Dodge till the 8' Contractor CT is a thing. lol

Even the 1970 Gravely weighs 650 pounds

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck Lowered Rear Air Suspension and Drops Tailgate Ramp @ Giga Texas 32E5A2E9-BCF3-4FB1-88D7-CF2EA3E0439D

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck Lowered Rear Air Suspension and Drops Tailgate Ramp @ Giga Texas 34FA3662-A42E-463B-A456-CAA1549B9AA1

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck Lowered Rear Air Suspension and Drops Tailgate Ramp @ Giga Texas CDB29C65-AF29-47A7-91CB-30D36FE39B87
Sponsored

Last edited: