Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Ah, thanks for clarifying. CB will be my first electric/Tesla vehicle, so I'm still catching up with the lingo.

So Lifetime Connectivity is the service that Tesla provides its vehicles to maintain constant connectivity and that is presently 4G only. But one could use their cell phones to share high speed connectivity (like maybe Netflix, etc) if/when needed.
Not quite.
Tesla does not provide hotspot capability, period.

There are two parts to the connectivity issue, the stuff that's free and the stuff that's paid for (premium connectivity). And the "paid for stuff" is a little more than just connectivity.
Basically, if you want to watch Netflix, using the vehicle's cellular connection, that's the premium connectivity package. If you do not have lifetime connectivity/premium connectivity, then you have to use your own connectivity, ie. a cellular hotspot on your phone or Wi-Fi to watch Netflix.

There's also some other items, such as traffic shading that comes with the Premium Connectivity package.

Yes, it takes a little getting used to.
Sponsored

HAL GALLUS

First Name
HAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MODLE 3
Country flag
There are a couple of things at play here:
- Cost. Providers are charging more for 5G

- Signal/Peformance. 5G frequencies are shorter wavelengths than 4G (or even 3G) - meaning they are easily blocked resulting in slower speeds. A moving vehicle with hills, buildings, and other obstructions between them and the nearest tower equate to poor performance. Also, the shorter wavelength goes a shorter distance before fading compared to a 4G signal - the result are slower speeds when farther from a tower (even with a clear line of site). Anyone that has an in-car adapter with 5G (usually plugs into the ODBII port) has experienced this (myself as well). I get consistently better/faster/higher quality connections on the road on 4G vs. 5G -especially when away from the city.

- Hardware. There are normally hardware boards that act as the modem for wireless service. These can be swapped/upgraded in most cases. I had to do so when AT&T shutdown one of its older networks that Ford used and had to take the car in to have the modem swapped.

So, even though it may not have 5G today - that is not necessarily a bad thing. However, there is a better than not chance it can be easily upgraded when Tesla supports it and service price is right.
It is about time this be said. 5G is not so grate as some think.

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford F350 Plat, 22 F150 Plat, 20 Jeep Gladiator
Country flag
is there any new vehicles with 5G?
Yep… my Ford 2023 F350 has it. I subscribe to the net with it. It’s fast and it averages 70M. F350 2023 was the first truck to have it.

From Ford: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2022/09/27/2023-ford-f-series-super-duty-reveal.html

and I quote for tl;dr

The 2023 Ford Super Duty is the first pickup in the United States with embedded 5G capability. AT&T’s high-performance 5G network can deliver faster navigation, mapping and music downloads with higher quality than 4G. Super Duty’s 5G modem from Qualcomm Technologies can also provide a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to 10 devices†† to help keep workers and families connected on the go, and support Ford Power-Up software updates while driving to keep making the truck better over time.
I actually am a bit surprised the CT isn’t 5G.
Sponsored