John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Wife just called, ”Hey, did you know Chevy is coming out with an electric Silverado?”

me pretending this is new news. ?

Her, “The bed appears shorter. Chevy is coming out with more models too. The Bronco will become electric…”

Me, “ARE YOU AT THE DEALERSHIP!“

She just received an email.

DallasCyberTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TOYOTA TUNDRA
Country flag
Because it wasn't an EV or that capable in hauling or towing as the Silverado is projected to be?

-Crissa
No. Midgate leaking issues were never fixed even after the 2007 redesign. The utility value never matched the Silverado which was sold at a lower price point Throughout the Avalanche’s production.
So unless they summoned some magic from their engineers, that midgate will start leaking on a $70K vehicle and “EV” and “hauling or towing“ would be moot points to the unfortunate buyer..(Unless they did away with it all together which makes the new EV just a “me too” in the arena.”

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well, they have roofs that leak, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised they have midgates that leak. ?

It's just a door, so why should it have problems with leaking?

-Crissa
It's the side of a tub which might be filled with dirt, water, gravel, sand, bark, or just random junk. Very easy for things to get into the seals when the midgate is open. It's one of my concerns about the midgate on the Cybertruck. Particularly since the Cybertruck adds in the complexity of the vault cover.

And before you say "Tesla will get it right"... take a look at the recurring issues they had with doors on the early Model X.

One of the nice things about the Cybertruck is the vault cover minimizes rain in the vault so should prevent a lot of those same leaks.

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
I sorta like it. Not as much as the CT - but, a lot more than the F Lightning and RV1.

But, really, the only thing I want really badly in the CT that the chevy has.... Is the HUD!

I bought a fairly expensive device from Kickstarter (the company that sold the device later went out of business as their product was too expensive). That thing was Awesome! They had a map implementation that was just so great to use!

My eyes never had to leave the road. I'm a recently retired Deputy Sheriff. I used that device for a couple years on patrol - it was so great using it to get to calls! It had a small attachment/dial on the steering wheel that could be used zoom in/out of the map while driving. I could zoom in for turn by turn or slowly zoom out to see the neighborhood, or farther to see the area map. So, traffic issues/alternate routes/etc were so easy to view/understand. Caught more than a few suspects leaving neighborhoods because of my almost instant knowledge of the area.

I could do all that while keeping my eyes out in front of my vehicle and without having to glance inside! Also, could change up my music, see who/what song was playing (didn't listen to music while working - but, other times it was great). You could see the caller ID for incoming calls (don't like voice announcements) and ID for TEXTS (not the actual text)! All while keeping your eyes on the road.

Your vehicle speed was in a light color in the corner and changed colors when you exceeded the speed limit - then again if you exceeded the speed limit by 5mph. Unobtrusive - but, usable. Such a great tool.

I wish Tesla would do something like that.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I sorta like it. Not as much as the CT - but, a lot more than the F Lightning and RV1.

But, really, the only thing I want really badly in the CT that the chevy has.... Is the HUD!

I bought a fairly expensive device from Kickstarter (the company that sold the device later went out of business as their product was too expensive). That thing was Awesome! They had a map implementation that was just so great to use!
Sounds like very Interesting device.

I understand the Kickstarter device is out of business but there may still be history on the Internet.

What was name?

What year did you buy it?

Do you have any links (even old not working links can check in Internet archive)?

Jstoltz54

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

They're dribbling them out, the articles haven't been written yet.

It looks like the photo from yesterday, but the bed seems small but maybe isn't? I still don't think they'll get the range they want, and it looks absolutely chonking useless big compared to the Cybertruck.

So:
Midgate
Unibody
Structural battery
Glass roof*
Four wheel steering*

*'Available'

-Crissa
4 who steer is optional I believe, box I very close to CT, seems like a really big battery pack, no details on chemistry. Nice rig but … not for me.

Jstoltz54

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

My eyes never had to leave the road. I'm a recently retired Deputy Sheriff. I used that device for a couple years on patrol - it was so great using it to get to calls! It had a small attachment/dial on the steering wheel that could be used zoom in/out of the map while driving. I could zoom in for turn by turn or slowly zoom out to see the neighborhood, or farther to see the area map. So, traffic issues/alternate routes/etc were so easy to view/understand. Caught more than a few suspects leaving neighborhoods because of my almost instant knowledge of the area.

I could do all that while keeping my eyes out in front of my vehicle and without having to glance inside! Also, could change up my music, see who/what song was playing (didn't listen to music while working - but, other times it was great). You could see the caller ID for incoming calls (don't like voice announcements) and ID for TEXTS (not the actual text)! All while keeping your eyes on the road.

Your vehicle speed was in a light color in the corner and changed colors when you exceeded the speed limit - then again if you exceeded the speed limit by 5mph. Unobtrusive - but, usable. Such a great tool.

I wish Tesla would do something like that.
I agree, love my factory Lexus B/W HUD but you can mount a phone on top of the dash with an app that looks pretty usable

Deleted member 859

Well, they have roofs that leak, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised they have midgates that leak. ?

It's just a door, so why should it have problems with leaking?

-Crissa
My 2004 Chevy Avalanche @ 190K miles has never had a midgate leak, but my Model S had water leaking into the tail lights before it was 3 years old. Go figure.
Sponsored