Skibumak

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Cybertruck in 2023
Country flag
So if Elon says he needed to shrink the truck to fit into standard garage just how big of garage do I need?? I live in Alaska so parking outside is not an option really in the winter. So what are the dimensions of the garage to fit the truck i will need to have?
Sponsored

Roslyn

First Name
Roslyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Isuzu Tracker II 1988, Ford Explorer 1993
Occupation
Anthropologist
Country flag
So if Elon says he needed to shrink the truck to fit into standard garage just how big of garage do I need?? I live in Alaska so parking outside is not an option really in the winter. So what are the dimensions of the garage to fit the truck i will need to have?
What do you need a garage for ? Are you worried about rust ? Are you worried about hooligans damaging it ? That maybe your tush might not be warm enough ? What Are You Worried About ? Check out the videos of the Cybertruck driving in Alaska (yes), Norway, etc. As long as you have reasonable access to electricity, you should be just fine in cold weather. Just do the research. Several S3s in nearest small city (pop. ca. 70,000, w/chargers), and nothing but good reports. (This is from a little old lady (5'2", 70 yo) who's tired of nonsense vehicles, and looking forward to a vehicle to keep up with my northern British Columbia lifestyle.)

ev4me

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (single motor)
Occupation
Construction Estimator
Country flag
It's no fun removing snow around any vehicle, no matter if it's SS.

wiki dimensions: (I assume the 75" height is the max, before the self-leveling suspension is used)
Wheelbase149.9 in (3,807 mm)[6]
Length231.7 in (5,885 mm)[7]
Width~ 82.0 in (2,083 mm)
Height75 in (1,905 mm)

OP
OP

Skibumak

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No my concern is not my tush but the optimization of the batteries being left in the cold and having to be heated 24 hours a day. Seems like unnecessary wear to me.

Roslyn

First Name
Roslyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Isuzu Tracker II 1988, Ford Explorer 1993
Occupation
Anthropologist
Country flag
No my concern is not my tush but the optimization of the batteries being left in the cold and having to be heated 24 hours a day. Seems like unnecessary wear to me.
From Aron in Saskatchewan, in a thread on this site specifically asking about the Cybertruck in cold conditions: "All electric cars lose range with temperature but so do ICE cars. It is only temporary and will be better again when warm. Battery size and charge speed is the best way to overcome this issue. The bigger the battery the more capacity it has to run the thermal management and warm the batteries which lets you go further in the cold. Faster charging let’s you get back on the road faster and not cool down to much. Right now you will loose 1/4 to 1/3 range around -20C. The colder batteries are only one aspect of this reduced range. The denser air has a lot to do with it. My current ICE vehicle goes between 500-600km on a tank depending on wind in the summer. In the winter I get between 400-450km per tank. So an ICE vehicle loses 1/4-1/3 range in winter too. Drag coefficient and efficiency of electric are better than ICE cars so that helps. You can change your heating in an EV and get more range. I have a heated hoodie that I will use to help me get more range by reducing the heat output if I need. Can’t do that in an ICE vehicle."

OP
OP

Skibumak

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have been looking at either expanding my garage wider and longer or possibly getting a new house. Most of my life I have parked my trucks outside and plugged in when needed. I just wanted to be a little nicer to this truck if I could and also maybe give the battery warmers a rest sometimes. Sounds like I don’t need to worry about that. It’s funny most of the Tesla’s I have rent have been kept in a garage so having one just sitting out front seemed odd. Thanks for the input and I guess I have some measuring to do. ?

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
We're fortunate that in about two years we will move into our other place which has a 22-foot long garage; the one we are in now is only 20 ft long plus has a 2-foot thick row of cabinets built into the back wall so effectively only 18 feet of parking length, rather challenging to park the S that I am leasing now, even using the proximity sensors in front. So just in time for the CT...

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been looking at either expanding my garage wider and longer or possibly getting a new house. Most of my life I have parked my trucks outside and plugged in when needed. I just wanted to be a little nicer to this truck if I could and also maybe give the battery warmers a rest sometimes. Sounds like I don’t need to worry about that. It’s funny most of the Tesla’s I have rent have been kept in a garage so having one just sitting out front seemed odd. Thanks for the input and I guess I have some measuring to do. ?
You can set the car to finish charging before you leave. The battery warms up as it charges.

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
I Spent 28 years In Anchorage. Retired and moved south in 2016. I really miss the summers, but not so much the winters. I think the cybertruck will do well in Alaska.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
with all the concerns about size, its within an inch or two of the dimensions of my 2014 Chevy siverado crew cab 1500. I have seen comparisons where fords are close as well, so basically, if a truck today will fit, so will the CT.

OP
OP

Skibumak

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree, I have a Toyota Tundra Crew Max and height is 2" taller, 3" narrower and 4" shorter then Cybertruck. Problem I have is most new homes now a days have garages for cars not trucks. I guess I need to build a garage just for my trucks, problem solved! ?

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
I agree, I have a Toyota Tundra Crew Max and height is 2" taller, 3" narrower and 4" shorter then Cybertruck. Problem I have is most new homes now a days have garages for cars not trucks. I guess I need to build a garage just for my trucks, problem solved! ?
I've seen some homes that had "tandem" garages, which is twice as long on one side, so even a CT w/trailer could fit. Would be cool if you could build one like that...(y)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
around -20C. The colder batteries are only one aspect of this reduced range. The denser air has a lot to do with it.
Not really. Air at -20°C is only 16% denser than air at + 20 °C. Yes, that's significant but I wouldn't, given that drag is only one of several loads, say that's a lot. I'll suggest, based on observation, that stuff on the roadbed is the biggest factor. Even rain can increase the consumption of a BEV by 35 - 40% so I'm guessing that snow, sand etc. would have a similar or worse effect. Also keep in mind that the hypoid oil in the differentials is going to be thicker in cold weather, at least for the early part of a drive.

You can change your heating in an EV and get more range. I have a heated hoodie that I will use to help me get more range by reducing the heat output if I need. Can’t do that in an ICE vehicle."
Heating usually gets the majority of the blame and some of that is deserved. But note that the Y has, and we can be sure that the CT's will too, a heat pump. This isn't going to do much at -10 °C and below but will do a lot to reduce the amount of battery energy required to heat at more modest temperatures. Also Tesla's are equipped with seat heaters. I didn't believe it until I tried it but you really can be comfortable at lower cabin temperature is your back an bum are warm.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Not really. Air at -20°C is only 16% denser than air at + 20 °C. Yes, that's significant but I wouldn't, given that drag is only one of several loads, say that's a lot. I'll suggest, based on observation, that stuff on the roadbed is the biggest factor. Even rain can increase the consumption of a BEV by 35 - 40% so I'm guessing that snow, sand etc. would have a similar or worse effect. Also keep in mind that the hypoid oil in the differentials is going to be thicker in cold weather, at least for the early part of a drive.

Heating usually gets the majority of the blame and some of that is deserved. But note that the Y has, and we can be sure that the CT's will too, a heat pump. This isn't going to do much at -10 °C and below but will do a lot to reduce the amount of battery energy required to heat at more modest temperatures. Also Tesla's are equipped with seat heaters. I didn't believe it until I tried it but you really can be comfortable at lower cabin temperature is your back an bum are warm.
As a golfer I can tell you in addition to the increase in friction of rain on the tires, rain has a huge effect on how far a golfball goes in the air. So you are talking about drag created by lower temperature, higher humidity and depending on how hard it's raining, water having a much higher density, causing a lot more aerodynamic drag. Of course I drive a golf ball a lot faster than I drive my vehicles.
Sponsored