John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
When this feature came out twenty years ago, or whenever, I thought it was fantastic. I still do. Elon and his guys are rocket designers! You folks don't think the engineers at Tesla can design a similar mechanism that works on the CYBRTRK? Dissenters replying to this original post: what is truly wrong with doors like this? Good grief! Just push a button, and the big, heavy awkward doors just slide out of the the way, just as they do now on your wife's van. I cannot believe this design is more difficult to design than the falcon-wing doors. Picture this...you're in a tight parking space and you've got both hands full...maybe carrying your baby and a pizza. You walk up to your car and the door slides open. If a trunk can open with a wave of your foot, why not these sliding doors?
???

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Typical car doors are awkward to open and close in tight garages and parking lots.

So! How about a sliding panel door on each side of Cybertruck? It would eliminate the swinging door issue and maximize ease of access to cabin.

For front door opening, the panel would slide back partially, for back door it would continue sliding back.

Thanks for reading ?
Look at the Cybertruck. sliding doors have to connect to something and usually, they have a channel they slide in. You can't have one on the Cybertruck because of the slope of the roof and hood. Now, those back doors could slide, I suppose but then they'd be in the way of any 5th wheel trailer, gooseneck trailer, or any kind of camper shell. While a neat idea, it just doesn't make sense in this case.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I can see the lure, considering how wide the CT will be, but would sliding doors, even if there is a feasible way to make them, really help? Smart summon, etc., might be the best way to solve the problem. At least the dings will play against the ‘other’ car :)

OP
OP
thejohnllama

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
Look at the Cybertruck. sliding doors have to connect to something and usually, they have a channel they slide in. You can't have one on the Cybertruck because of the slope of the roof and hood. Now, those back doors could slide, I suppose but then they'd be in the way of any 5th wheel trailer, gooseneck trailer, or any kind of camper shell. While a neat idea, it just doesn't make sense in this case.
The base of the body is one spot for a horizontal track — would be virtually invisible.

The angle on the side body panels is another place for a sliding door track, maintains a horizontal parallel to base of body. That being said, this position would affect exoskeleton rigidity.

Tesla Cybertruck Sliding Doors on Cybertruck B12F26C6-45A2-45F2-AAF0-EEDC0C5D599D

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Good points! Still, I like the idea.

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
? Funny stuff. Sliding doors are practical, don’t really care about connotations. Glad to see the interaction on this post ?
Yeah, me too. But hey, what do I know. It seems to me, those crazy doors that swing upward on some supercars...that's pretty crazy engineering it seems to me. I'll bet there were people standing on the sidelines saying, "That idea will never work." Same for the falcon-wing doors." I'd love a CYBRTRK with sliding doors. If a falcon door can be made to work, I'm sure a slider would also. Complications? Sure. Difficult? Sure. Doable? Sure.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The shorter a door is the easier it is to open in a tight spot. Sports cars are the worst and pickup trucks like my Tacoma aren't that bad. Granted cybertruck is wider. I like the scissor door idea but definitely don't want to pay more for a complicated failing door design.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Suicide door possible

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
The base of the body is one spot for a horizontal track — would be virtually invisible.

The angle on the side body panels is another place for a sliding door track, maintains a horizontal parallel to base of body. That being said, this position would affect exoskeleton rigidity.

B12F26C6-45A2-45F2-AAF0-EEDC0C5D599D.jpeg
Okay. I didn't see that. You would have a tough time with the fenders or if sliding to the front, a turned wheel. And you are right about affecting the rigidity which the door openings already do quite a bit. But, hear me out here... What if the doors popped out a few inches and then rotated up and away. The front could rotate at about the mirror location far enough to clear the thing for entry. That way, you'd only be adding a hole to the side rather than a long slice for the track.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Okay. I didn't see that. You would have a tough time with the fenders or if sliding to the front, a turned wheel. And you are right about affecting the rigidity which the door openings already do quite a bit. But, hear me out here... What if the doors popped out a few inches and then rotated up and away. The front could rotate at about the mirror location far enough to clear the thing for entry. That way, you'd only be adding a hole to the side rather than a long slice for the track.
Those are called scissor doors, I believe.
https://www.lamborghinipalmbeach.com/blog/which-lamborghini-models-have-had-scissor-doors/

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Goal of cybertruck being super simple to produce and manufacture.. i wouldnt expect anything more than a standard opening door.

OP
OP
thejohnllama

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
Main issue with vertical opens is garage ceiling/door/track height. Even in my taller 10’ garage, they could potentially bump

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Main issue with vertical opens is garage ceiling/door/track height. Even in my taller 10’ garage, they could potentially bump
True. I didn't think about that. I'm actually hoping for regular doors.

OverlandCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA sportage, Honda CRV
Occupation
student
Country flag
cool idea, but this would add to the cost even more, nevermind the complexity
Sponsored