Snow plowing

Gwgans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Teslas
Country flag
If CT cannot mount a plow (and integrate the controller wires, handle the hydraulics battery draw, and make necessary AP and traction control adjustments) then maybe Tesla can create a high torque oversized snow thrower front attachment instead.
http://www.snowvac.com/
Boring Co. meets Tesla motor.
PM: “Throw the snow“
CT: “How far?”
The low speed, great traction vehicle with a high torque, Tesla designed auger would eat snow smoothly and efficiently. Snow clearing doesn’t get more comfortable.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sasmania

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PY holding me over till TRI CT
Occupation
FlagstaffRentalCabin.com & TeslaRenter.com
Country flag
If CT cannot mount a plow (and integrate the controller wires, handle the hydraulics battery draw, and make necessary AP and traction control adjustments) then maybe Tesla can create a high torque oversized snow thrower front attachment instead.
http://www.snowvac.com/
Boring Co. meets Tesla motor.
PM: “Throw the snow“
CT: “How far?”
The low speed, great traction vehicle with a high torque, Tesla designed auger would eat snow smoothly and efficiently. Snow clearing doesn’t get more comfortable.
You mean one like this? This is a 1955 Snowblower that still actually works!
It's sitting on a Vacation Rental property I manage in Flagstaff AZ. Thing is a beast!
I need to send this thing into retirement.... Someone come up with a CT plow fast!

But....I don't see how attaching one of these is any easier than just a plow?
Tesla Cybertruck Snow plowing IMG_3500

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Mount the plow on the front bumper and use air suspension to lift the back and drop the front.
Interesting idea -- if when not plowing the blade could be high enough to avoid obstacles.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Several have suggested a rear-mount plow. That's OK for a tractor's 3-pt hitch (virtually always on the rear only), but I've never seen one on a road vehicle -- and there's a good reason for that.

Speaking of tractors, they are good for only two things out of the box: you can lie under it to keep the sun off, and you can park it in your drive to look impressive. Tractors are useless on their own because they're designed essentially as attachment holders -- and it's the attachments that then do the work.

A stripped pickup can do some car-like work (carrying people and loads), but it's supposed to be a utility vehicle (like a tractor), a place to mount attachments. Without being able to connect work items (like trailers and snow plows or blowers) it's just a car with an open back roof. I'm sure Tesla is fully aware of this, and will design lots of provisions for attachments to ensure its potential as a utility vehicle. (But don't wait for a rear plow.)

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Generally you don't want to crush the snow before trying to move it.

I don't have much experience shoveling snow, but I do know that!

-Crissa

OP
OP

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
There are rear drag and push plows but I wonder if those can handle 8-12" of snow or more. We just had an 18" snowfall and even conventional plowing was tough

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
The question here is can a snow plow be attached to a vehicle that is not "body on frame" type construction. The CT doesn't exist yet, but other unibody pickup trucks do exist. So I googled Honda Ridgeline snow plow.

Not saying the CT will be able to plow snow, but this does give some hope that it might.

https://www.snowplowsdirect.com/honda-ridgeline

OP
OP

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
The question here is can a snow plow be attached to a vehicle that is not "body on frame" type construction. The CT doesn't exist yet, but other unibody pickup trucks do exist. So I googled Honda Ridgeline snow plow.

Not saying the CT will be able to plow snow, but this does give some hope that it might.

https://www.snowplowsdirect.com/honda-ridgeline
Well after looking at the plows to fit a Honda Ridge line and comparing them to the plows I have on my Jeep, Tundra and formerly on my F250's those plows won't do what our plows do. Those plows are to plow your driveway and perhaps your neighbors driveway and not for commercial use. How Is the cyber truck going to compete with F250's, F350's, Ram 2500 & 3500's if it can't mount a commercial plow. If it can't mount a commercial plow it is just a showy pimped out EV. Elon "wants to compete with pickups" so make it so that is does. I have 55 customers and we put 4 trucks on the road. I wanted my CT to replace my driveway truck. If it can mount a Western HTS or Midweight Plow or larger I'll be happy...if not it is just a glorified EV to drive around. who is going to drill through harden stainless to put on all the hardware for ladder racks and what about all of the options that frame pickup trucks offer for mechanics, flatbeds, chipper trucks and on and on. they have so many configurations and we haven't seen how Tesla is going to mount a snowplow. I am guessing it won't be possible. we are abut 16 months away from delivery start up. Very disappointing there is no word on configurations and options. I mean Ford has a snow plow prep kit so you are ready to get your plow mounted. Mounted in one day. We need to know options for the jobs we do.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
How Is the cyber truck going to compete with F250's, F350's, Ram 2500 & 3500's...
Not sure the CT was ever competing with those trucks. The only “marketing” I’ve seen was to compete with the number 1 selling truck in America. The Ford F150.
https://www.wheelsjoint.com/tesla-cybertruck-vs-ford-f-250-f-350-f-450-comparison/

...it is just a showy pimped out EV
...it is just a glorified EV to drive around.
I’m sorry the CT may not meet your expectations. But I think you’re being a bit unfair here. It’s a pickup truck. When needed, you can use it to haul things. Things you cannot haul with most other EV’s.

I understand your frustration with not knowing. Right now we don’t know if you can attach a plow, pull a 5th wheel, install ladder racks or storage boxes. Unfortunately we’re just going to have to wait and see. I’m sure everyone in this group has some frustration with all of the unknowns of the CT.

There’s been a lot of posts saying these things (plow, 5th wheel etc.) are needed to sell the CT as a truck. I’m not sure that is true. My father has driven a pickup truck most of my life and has never had a plow, ladder rack or 5th wheel connection in any of his main trucks. (We had a beater truck for plowing for a while. Actually used it for a full season without brakes. If you wanted to stop you pushed in the clutch and dropped the plow). I feel safe in speculating that most pickup trucks do not have plows or any of these add-ons. It would be great if the CT can do all of this. But if it cannot, I believe it will still be a pick up truck that will sell well.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I don't recall seeing too many F150s or 1500s in New England with commercial plows on them.

I spent several hours this morning plowing snow in a Chevy 2500HD. I'll say, even though the truck is less than 2 years old, and has 12k miles on it, plowing takes it toll.

I don't think Tesla is going after that market. The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have their places. And commercial snow plowing is one area that I dont' expect the CT to dabble in. But..... I could be totally wrong! We won't know until Elon gives us a real update on the CT.

OP
OP

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
What bothers me is that they (Tesla)aren’t even mentioning snow plow mounting or any other gear except camping and solar bed cover. What about something like this to fit

Tesla Cybertruck Snow plowing 5A2448DD-3896-4B4A-9970-F76220DF3C0C

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That looks pretty third-party. Elon said there's a theoretical Cyber-Van out there along with the 25K model that they want to do.

-Crissa

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have a very nice stainless steel Boss XT 8'2" VPlow with my Cybertrucks name on it. I am hoping to go to the GIE Landscape Expo next year (also maybe one of the snow shows too) and check in with the big plow manufacturers to see if it's even on their radar. Sometimes their VP's of product development attend those so it's a good place to put a bug in their ear.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I have a very nice stainless steel Boss XT 8'2" VPlow with my Cybertrucks name on it.
1) What was last/current ICE truck brand & model/trim use for Boss XT 8'2" VPlow
2) What factory options did you need to order?
3) Can you buy the plow from the same dealer as truck?
4) After getting truck what work would be needed to mount the plow?
5) What was important to get bank to finance truck & plow??
Sponsored