Solar → Battery →← Powershare - How to this?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
So, I'm not going to let you off saying that there are only 5 Superchargers in the country. Like Europe, you're a CCS country.
1704034817026.png

And a great number of those locations have Tesla connectors as well
1704034874696.png

So sure, if you are going inland, it's an issue.

But you may have a lot more than Texas does.
1704035035758.png

And yes, like I did my generator, oversizing your controllers is never a bad thing to do.

1704034988330.png
Lol ok.

State is Western Australia that is 3.6 times the size of Texas by itself. Australia is the same size as the contagious USA, so much larger than 3.6times the size of Texas. CSS is a connector type but far from a "Supercharger" let alone a Tesla one. These are the now 6 Tesla Superchargers in Western Australia. There's a few recent non-Tesla Horizon Power installs that have gone in late this year under the national EV charger expansion program, but many of those are only 50kW, and top out at 150kW in regional areas because the grid can't cope with more.

Tesla Cybertruck Solar → Battery →← Powershare - How to this? 1704037010134

This is the extent of the WA SWIS grid:

Tesla Cybertruck Solar → Battery →← Powershare - How to this? 1704037861530
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
And yes, like I did my generator, oversizing your controllers is never a bad thing to do.
I'm not sure what you mean here with oversize my controllers?

I did the opposite, my inverter has less kW capacity, than the PV I have connected to the built in MPPT controllers. The built in MPPT controller has the ability to throttle the PV input, which is oversized for the inverter. This results in a much better energy collection profile that starts earlier and ends later in the day.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I'm not sure what you mean here with oversize my controllers?

I did the opposite, my inverter has less kW capacity, than the PV I have connected to the built in MPPT controllers. The built in MPPT controller has the ability to throttle the PV input, which is oversized for the inverter. This results in a much better energy collection profile that starts earlier and ends later in the day.
Anytime anything is throttled, something is probably lost.
I'm trying to remember if you had batteries in your setup, since you didn't mention here, I'm assuming no.
I'm assuming by built-in MPPT controller, you are indicating that it is built-in t the inverter. And with that said, I think it make sense to me.

If the MPPT is in the inverter and the inverter is undersized, then the MPPT may not be up to the job of optimization. That's why an external oversized MPPT would be advantageous.
But if the inverter was right-sized, or oversized, then it should be able to give you an even better profile.

But with an oversized array, I would have expected some batteries to soak up the differential. And I'm not sure what "oversized" means in your configuration. Does it provide more capability than your house use in a day? (if so, then there should be batteries) or does i provide more than your average/peak load during the day.

I'll admit that I'm not a solar expert, definitely not a Tesla Solat/Powerwall one. But I can usually stay in the conversation.

OP
OP

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Average bill cost for electricity is about $250 a month. That's with no EV at the moment and a rental unit that is not currently in use.

Not sure if I want to go totally off grid but utilities are pushing to charge more just to be connected.

If I do get the truck (on my second VIN) it seems like it's easiest just to let them install the gateway and the universal charger and have battery backup.

I did get a call from Tesla about the power share installation and they were mentioning that if I had this hardware now and got batteries and solar later, I could save a little money because they would not need to add the gateway.

It seems like the next level up would be to get a 3rd gen Powerwall and solar. Then I'd maybe be able to recoup the investment after a number of years saving on electricity. The way the person from Tesla described it, with just one power wall, you have the ability to run devices with high startup requirements and then the truck can backfeed that one Powerwall. And worst case you could go to a supercharger and fill up the truck and then bring it back to keep stuff going if the utilities were down for a prolonged period. 🙂

Not sure if I have any high start demand devices. The AC maybe but I do plan to get a newer heat pump type unit.
Sponsored