SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
However, they did mention something during the delivery event, assuming it's going to be some kind of throw over blanket to trickle charge that maybe stores in the bed sub-trunk? That would be cool and wouldn't take away from the durable tonneau cover.
This is what I'm talking about. I didn't ask for info on a solar tonneau cover.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If you want a usable solar-powered vehicle, the 40 mile/day Aptera may be the better option. https://aptera.us/
...yeah, I'm going to switch from a CT to an Aptera. Totally comparable vehicles. /S
I never said I wanted a solar-powered vehicle. Just looking for more information on the mentioned solar cover. The range isn't what I need, and the range extender they are offering is a hard pass from me. If the cover can provide a decent range at a decent price in a convenient design, I might consider the AWD dual with that option when my number is called, assuming it gets called after they drop the price of the CT by $25k.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I don’t remember a solar cover ever being promised by Tesla.
I don't know about promised, but the cover was mentioned just prior to the delivery event as being an option or accessory. No details since.

Most charge at home or superchargers on the road.
I want it for when I'm not at home or near a SC.

That’s why the range extender is genius. They apease the people who do or “think” they need more range. Anyone that is familiar with Tesla and their supercharging network soon learn that 300+ miles is the perfect sweet spot.
Yeah, a genius idea that takes away a good portion of an already smaller bed (by comparison to my current 6.5' full-size truck bed). 300+ is not enough for me and the network is not built out enough yet.

tcmccormick

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Cybertruck (resrv)
Occupation
IT
Country flag
tcmccormick said:
I don’t remember a solar cover ever being promised by Tesla.
I don't know about promised, but the cover was mentioned just prior to the delivery event as being an option or accessory. No details since.

I saw the Solar cover mentioned here by Users, but not by Tesla. Maybe I missed it but does not seem like something Tesla would be interested in providing a supporting.

tcmccormick said:
Most charge at home or superchargers on the road.
I want it for when I'm not at home or near a SC.

We have taken a lot of long road trips in our Model Y and have never been that far away from a supercharger, but maybe could be situation for remote areas. Truth is any portable solar panel is going to be super slow charging. Maybe for some kind of emergency situation like off roading but for mass market an edge case for sure. I am sure there will be other companies that will produce some kind of portable solar charging, but I cannot see Tesla doing this

tcmccormick said:
That’s why the range extender is genius. They apease the people who do or “think” they need more range. Anyone that is familiar with Tesla and their supercharging network soon learn that 300+ miles is the perfect sweet spot.
Yeah, a genius idea that takes away a good portion of an already smaller bed (by comparison to my current 6.5' full-size truck bed). 300+ is not enough for me and the network is not built out enough yet.

Again speaking from Tesla trying to address the few that will want a really long range charge while also not adding a lot of complexity and additional models to the line up for just a few people. If they were to incorporate a battery pack that will give 450 - 500 mile range that would require more engineering and costs to include that in the standard production lines for what would ultimately be for only a few vehicles. Offering it as an option to add it afterwards will accommodate a lot that need this while not all if they need the extra long range plus the full bed space, as in your case. Again there is no way to give every person the exact model they want with every possible feature. That is one of the problems with legacy auto makers. They try to produce a lot of different models with a lot of different features rather than creating just a few models that addresses most of the market. That is how you maintain profits and efficiencies.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Again speaking from Tesla trying to address the few that will want a really long range charge while also not adding a lot of complexity and additional models to the line up for just a few people.
According to the unofficial tracker...39% of the reservations were for the 500-mile variant.
That's more than a few. The point is that there is demand for a 500-mile variant. they knew that 4 years ago. That's why they had it as a reservation option. All the manufacturers still know it. That is why they are still trying to get there. That demand isn't driven out of ignorance. We know what we need.

tcmccormick

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Cybertruck (resrv)
Occupation
IT
Country flag
According to the unofficial tracker...39% of the reservations were for the 500-mile variant.
That's more than a few. The point is that there is demand for a 500-mile variant. they knew that 4 years ago. That's why they had it as a reservation option. All the manufacturers still know it. That is why they are still trying to get there. That demand isn't driven out of ignorance. We know what we need.
If the demand is there for that many then I am sure they will probably have that as an option at some point but not surprising the option is not there right out of the gate. Looks like current range of F150 Lightning is 320 miles. As battery costs continue to decline, materials become more available and 4620 productions ramps to higher volume I am sure higher range vehicles will be added if enough people want them.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I believe b4 EV was mainstream like the current model y. In 2019 the only knock against an ev was total range. So for Elon to say we can have an ev with 500 miles of range in the hottest automotive market was a great ploy. It worked obviously, but as the data came through from the almost 2 million Teslas on the road, they found that most drivers are doing on average less than 80 miles round trip over several hundred million miles. The need for a 500 mi range vehicle is less needed. They doubled the amount of stations in the us from 2019 to 2023. More chargers mean less batteries = less cost to consumers. We need to remind ourselves will the average driver drive 400 miles straight without a stop? I have done it but my average stop is about 3 hours after 250-280 miles. If you're towing everyday then obviously an ev is not your answer so don't make that "the reason"...because most, which is prob like 95% don't have to tow anything at all ever and if ever it's twice a year if that.

Xepa777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I would imagine it’s basically 6- 8 or more solar panels that are essentially rolled out on top of the truck…attaches by magnets at the attachment points along the roof and bed…then is plugged in thru charger port at rear driver side wheel well. My guess 😀
Looking forward to cheap Alibaba version of this lol

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I believe b4 EV was mainstream like the current model y. In 2019 the only knock against an ev was total range. So for Elon to say we can have an ev with 500 miles of range in the hottest automotive market was a great ploy. It worked obviously, but as the data came through from the almost 2 million Teslas on the road, they found that most drivers are doing on average less than 80 miles round trip over several hundred million miles. The need for a 500 mi range vehicle is less needed. They doubled the amount of stations in the us from 2019 to 2023. More chargers mean less batteries = less cost to consumers. We need to remind ourselves will the average driver drive 400 miles straight without a stop? I have done it but my average stop is about 3 hours after 250-280 miles. If you're towing everyday then obviously an ev is not your answer so don't make that "the reason"...because most, which is prob like 95% don't have to tow anything at all ever and if ever it's twice a year if that.
I'm not ignorant. I've been here for 4 years. I work with people that drive EVs and we talk often. I'm well aware of the SC network, and ABRP, and my own driving habits and use case scenarios.

Again, I'm not telling you what you need or questioning your driving needs and use cases. Don't try to tell me what I need.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
15 miles a day turns a 485 mile range truck into a 500 mile one during the day.

-Crissa
The way Tesla designed the range extender is a no go for me. So regarding the CT I'm giving up hope on a 500 mile variant and I'm hoping RAM comes through at a reasonable price.

I'm still interested in the CT with the solar cover option. It can't be too expensive and I still want the CT price to come down before I would buy it, but this is where I'm at with my CT decision now.

If they called me today asking to finalize my first 24 hr reservation, I'd pass. If they call in 6 months and they have dropped the price considerably (doubtful) and the solar cover is a convenient well designed affordable product, I would probably buy the AWD version. If said solar cover is available and they haven't dropped the price, I'd still pass.

I can wait until the summer of 25'. I'll have about 165k miles on my truck by then. After that, I'll decide if I can still wait or not for a full size EV truck that makes sense to me, or do I buy one more ICE truck and get the EV truck in 2035ish.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
None of the data that Tesla collected
"the data came through from the almost 2 million Teslas on the road"
were from trucks since Tesla had none.

The only data Tesla collected was for the Cybertruck reservation in which 39% wanted 500mi range truck with 3,500 payload & 14,000lb towing.

EV truck with 500mi normal range so they could have about 250mi range when towing 11,000-14,000lbs.

It has been 4 years. I know I was not expecting the 2019 announcement meant waiting 5, 8, years.

People delayed purchase because of promise.

Oh and delivered Cybertruck that supposed to compete with ICE F150 or Silverado 1500 who can seat 6-passengers in exterior width ot 79in and now the Cybertruck of approx same width was promised 6-seating is now only seating 5. Whole families are now excluded.
I could understand if Cybertruck was much slimmer exterior than ICE but is is almost the same.

Last edited:

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
None of the data that Tesla collected
"the data came through from the almost 2 million Teslas on the road"
were from trucks since Tesla had none.

The only data Tesla collected was for the Cybertruck reservation in which 39% wanted 500mi range truck with 3,500 payload & 14,000lb towing.

EV truck with 500mi normal range so they could have about 250mi range when towing 11,000-14,000lbs.

It has been 4 years. I know I was not expecting the 2019 announcement meant waiting 5, 8, years.

People delayed purchase because of promise.

Oh and delivered Cybertruck that supposed to compete with ICE F150 or Silverado 1500 who can seat 6-passengers in exterior width ot 79in and now the Cybertruck of approx same width was promised 6-seating is now only seating 5. Whole families are now excluded.
I could understand if Cybertruck was much slimmer exterior than ICE but is is almost the same.
I think people have choices and there are plenty of options out there for everyone’s particular use case. People are only really concerned about the price. I don’t think there is a perfect vehicle/truck no matter what.

You can’t make everyone happy…I thought I wanted 500 miles back in 2019…but now after owning a Tesla MYP since 2022, I don’t feel the need for such a large pack if it’s gonna cost me 20k more. I think Tesla will be able to software unlock more miles as more and more CT are on the road and they can analyze the fleets charging characteristics and battery degradation, especially now knowing the pack size is actually 150kw.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I think people have choices and there are plenty of options out there for everyone’s particular use case. People are only really concerned about the price. I don’t think there is a perfect vehicle/truck no matter what.

You can’t make everyone happy…I thought I wanted 500 miles back in 2019…but now after owning a Tesla MYP since 2022, I don’t feel the need for such a large pack if it’s gonna cost me 20k more. I think Tesla will be able to software unlock more miles as more and more CT are on the road and they can analyze the fleets charging characteristics and battery degradation, especially now knowing the pack size is actually 150kw.

Why is range of MYP relevant to range for full-size truck?

Does MYP have even normal ground clearance of full-size truck ( standard higher ground clearance of trucks reduces range)?

Can MYP seat 6 med/large size adults?

Are you towing even 8,000 lbs with MYP?

Both ICE or EV will lose approx 50% (or more) of range while towing.

A $65K ICE full-size F-150/1500 class truck with normal range of 600mi will drop to 300mi towing. Some have 700mi normal range.

A $99K Cybertruck 320mi will drop to 160mi. towing. Way too low. That if used full charge. Real towing range if battery used 80% to 10% for fastest recharge time, 120mi.
120mi on level road (No hill/mountain), moderate temps, no wind.

In rural areas not even enough to get to next Tesla Super Charger.

The 2019 Cybertruck $70K trimotor tri-motor 500mi specs & price would have put Cybertuck as some what competition to ICE F-150 Supercrew (not F-150 Raptor).

The 2024 Cybertruck is way too low in range and way too high in price.

-----------------------

What is the towing range of the Ford F-150?
All new for 2021, the available 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 delivers Built Ford Tough capability with most torque in an F-150, and 12,700 pounds of available maximum towing capacity with an EPA-estimated range of approximately 700 miles on a single tank of gas. 2021 Ford F-150 Trailer Towing Selector
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...eneral/pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_F150_Dec3.pdf

-----------------------

The maximum towing capacity on the 2019 F-150 is 13,200 pounds when properly equipped. This is more than any other full-size pickup truck in its class. To achieve this towing capacity, you would need to opt for the XL SuperCrew complete with a 6.5-foot box and 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine.
2019 Ford F-150 Towing Capacity | Phil Long Ford Motor City
https://www.fordmotorcity.com/2019-ford-f-150-towing-capacity.htm

-----------------------

A $64K ICE full-size F-150 Supercrew with towing package
Maxwell Ford, Austin TX USA
https://www.maxwellford.com/new-vehicles/f-150/?_dFR[chrome_model][0]=F-150&_dFR[engine_description][0]=3.5L%20V6%20Cylinder%20Engine&_dFR[make][0]=Ford&_dFR[trim][0]=LARIAT%204WD%20SuperCrew%205.5%20%20Box&_dFR[type][0]=New&_dFR[year][0]=2023&_fR[features][0]=Tow%20Package

-----------------------
Sponsored

Last edited: