Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Cybertruck Solar

Tesla's Cybertruck is poised to offer an innovative solar cover accessory, a testament to the company's commitment to sustainable and self-sufficient energy solutions. This solar cover is designed to harness solar energy, effectively converting sunlight into additional electric power for the vehicle. Not only does it promise to extend the driving range by capturing renewable energy, but it also adds a layer of practicality and efficiency for owners who may be away from charging stations.

Cybertruck Optional Lightbar

The top lightbar on Tesla's Cybertruck is set to be an optional accessory, offering additional customization for owners. This feature is designed to cater to those who desire enhanced visibility and a distinct aesthetic appeal. The lightbar, positioned along the top edge of the windshield, will provide powerful illumination, making it particularly useful for off-road adventures or driving in low-light conditions. Its sleek design seamlessly integrates with the Cybertruck's futuristic and angular appearance, adding both functionality and a striking visual element. As an optional add-on, it allows owners to tailor their vehicle to their specific needs and preferences, further demonstrating Tesla's commitment to offering personalized and innovative vehicle options.

Tesla Cybertruck Solar Cover, Lightbar (Hella), and Cyber Shop Confirmed for Cybertruck! lightbar

Cyber Shop

Tesla is set to enhance the user experience for Cybertruck owners by theming its app specifically for this model, integrating elements that resonate with the Cybertruck's unique design and features. This includes a specialized section in the Tesla Shop within the app, dedicated to exclusive 'Cyber' products, further customizing the experience and offering tailored accessories and merchandise for Cybertruck enthusiasts.

Source: https://teslaappupdates.com/articles/article.html?version=4.27.3
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The solar cover option is interesting in general as mentioned on the other thread.

The question is if it's something that is installed permanently or if it like a solar blanket that you have to manually setup.

Either way it means that there is a connection point to which power can be applied to add energy to the pack, through the CT electrical systems. This could be either a set of terminals that a MPPT solar controller would be connected to if that option is selected, or that a MPPT controller is already included in the CT electrical systems. Provided this has enough capacity, it also means that third party solar setups have a point to interconnect directly without using the charge plug, or the a potential V2S setup. It might even be 48V or so allowing for a DC generator range extender or the like.

Overall I think this is good news for solar accessory producers, and people that want to add solar for their overlanding expeditions etc.

Last edited:

ZillaVilla

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
So they couldn’t fit the lightbar behind the windshield? I really liked that look. I wonder how having it on top will affect range, it looks like they really tried to keep a small footprint.
I think it's best outside as these tend to get pretty warm and I imagine it's better optics than pushing light through the windshield at such an sloped angle. Hopefully it doesn't have wind noise! Some light bars people run HOWL LOUDLY on the highway.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I wonder why they didn’t put it on the backside of the ridge with a smooth face in the same plane as the windshield to reduce drag

Trekboy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Cybertruck
Country flag
The solar cover option is interesting in general as mentioned on the other thread.

The question is if it's something that is installed permanently or if it like a solar blanket that you have to manually setup.

Either way it means that there is a connection point to which power can be applies to add to the pack, through the CT electrical systems. This could be either a set of terminals that a MPPT solar controller would be connected to if that option is selected, or that a MPPT controller is already included in the CT electrical systems. Provided this has enough capacity, it also means that third party solar setups have a point to interconnect directly without using the charge plug, or the a potential V2S setup. It might even be 48V or so allowing for a DC generator range extender or the like.

Overall I think this is good news for solar accessory producers, and people that want to add solar for their overlanding expeditions etc.
YES! An MPPT solar connector! I've always envisioned pulling my RV WAY out in the boonies, and charging Cybertruck with a butterfly solar array folded up in the bed. Or something.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Gotta have those 42 LEDs!! :p

I had a similar 40" one of those until a roo removed it from my van. It also had the sidefiring lenses, where the LED are mounted on the side and reflected out 90 degrees through the front lens. Absolutely drenched the road with nice even lighting at full width, but lacked a little range straight down the road.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
If I could get like 7 miles a day out of the solar (which I think Elon eluded to) I would likely never need to charge during the week. Weekend is a different animal though

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
It would need to be a DC input and not a AC input. Also the plug would have to be such that it doesn't expose live terminals, so it won't be the 240V AC plug in any form. Maybe something like an Andersson plug, but more likely something that includes some control wiring, so with 4-5pins. You'd then just need an adapter plug to go to MC4 for the PV panels.

Although I do hope it is a plug or connector, but preferably somewhere it's both easy to connect and somewhere it doesn't get in the way of putting things in the bed. That bed side power plug is not really ideal either as it's in the way a bit when something is plugged in and the hatch is open. It should really be recessed, so only the cables come out, and the door can be closed after you plug it in.

I'm still hoping for official V2X capability. :cool:
Sponsored