JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Would it not be logical for the solar cover to plug into the connections on the top and rear of the truck?
I'm not sure those connections are bi-directional and can also take energy into the pack. They are also only 400W, which is the equivalent of a single normal modern household PV module.
Sponsored

sylvius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast FS ordered
Country flag
If you want to go the DIY route, this could be an option: Model Y Powered by Solar Panels
That’s pretty cool. One could imagine a fold up option that fits above the L track rail where the tent goes. So it would be under the tonneau while driving and then stop, roll up the cover, fold out the panels and charge. Based on the size of the tent versus the size of the folded panels in the pic you could maybe fit something 2x the size in that article and potentially get 4-8 kW depending on sun. Maybe get 8+ mi/hr of charging. That would be plenty for a long camping trip. I would imagine someone will create something like that. I’d much rather just pitch a normal tent for sleeping and have a solar array in that space instead.

TexasRaider

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck + MS
Occupation
Civil
Country flag
I'm not sure those connections are bi-directional and can also take energy into the pack. They are also only 400W, which is the equivalent of a single normal modern household PV module.
“I’m not sure” should be how nearly 97% of posts on here start. 👌🤙🏻🤣

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
So if you are not staying in the vehicle overnight, isn't there any option to charge at your accommodation? Maybe take something with to the location to charge overnight while you sleep?
There is, but I would need a couple hundred feet of extensions. Or I do the generator charging at night. Right now, I'm thinking that's the best option.

The reality is this discussion for me is pointless at the price point of the CT right now. Can but wouldn't do it.

I used to be on this forum multiple times a day. My interest has wained dramatically. I'm more like a weekly visitor now just to see if there was any breaking news I missed. I don't care about wraps and rims, show me production increases, range increases, solar cover news, and price decreases.
Sponsored