Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
You’ve seriously never heard of a car fire at a gas station??? And there was one on the Just Rolled In channel recently where the 12v spontaneously ignited.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
They are common, so media ignores them, and they are also almost always less spectacular than Lithium fires. But here's a great one I caught on the Teslacam that was clearly a monster.

Even then, it was out in minutes. Lithium fires can go a day or more.

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
This isn’t really true either.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/19/ford-recalls-39000-us-suvs-after-engine-fire-reports/

ICE vehicle fires have become normalized and are largely ignored
I agree that they are normalized. I am just saying, they don't happen out of the blue the way EVs like the Chevy Bolt or the Jaguar or early Model S's do. How many fires has Ford had to deal with? Jaguar is still refusing to acknowledge their issue even though when this percentage of the cars built had burned down houses Chevy recalled the Bolt. Jaguar uses the same pack. They need to step up.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I agree that they are normalized. I am just saying, they don't happen out of the blue the way EVs like the Chevy Bolt or the Jaguar or early Model S's do. How many fires has Ford had to deal with? Jaguar is still refusing to acknowledge their issue even though when this percentage of the cars built had burned down houses Chevy recalled the Bolt. Jaguar uses the same pack. They need to step up.
And you're wrong, were shown to be wrong, and...

...Fewer Bolts caught fire than any ICE recall.

-Crissa

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
You say, you have made the claim, you wanna back it up maybe with a fact? Happy to be *proven* wrong

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
I cited two things and an anecdote,

What is wrong with you?
Lots wrong with me, but lots wrong with everyone. You for instance posted ICE cars catch fire more than EVs, in response to a post about charging cars near a building.

That's fine, but irrelevant. So I pointed out that more EVs catch fire when charging or just sitting for a long period after driving, so the original poster was correct.

So you felt that was an attack so you posted links to a thread about cars catching fire at gas stations and another simply a search of Cars in Garage catching fire that didn't actually find any spontaneous ignitions, so two links that don't bolster your point, yet you claim to have supported your argument.

I simply pointed out that anecdotal info does not win an argument, you can't claim something, like the existence of god, and then demand the other guy prove god doesn't exist. That's factious, it doesn't promote understanding or agreement.

Not sure why you are arguing so vociferously that EVs don't spontaneously catch fire. 'They don't do it often and what about ICE cars, they catch fire much more often', that's whataboutism, not an argument against the point. Used often in politics.

It's hard to prove a negative (wikipedia.org/wiki/Proving_a_negative), but of the 20 most dangerous fire hazards none are catching fire while charging or sitting after a drive:

https://www.theclever.com/20-dangerous-cars-with-the-highest-risk-of-spontaneous-combustion/

So the original poster's comment about not installing a public charger near a building still seems unassailed and good advice.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...And yet the one car that very nearly burned my house down was sitting in someone's driveway. In the middle of the night.

I am very aware that it's something that happens - and that it's also not very common.

But it still happens.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
You know that the CAR is able to meter it, right? So I can't think of any use for the connector to also do it in a residential situation. There's a new commercial option for metering and charging.
Sponsored