Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You know that the CAR is able to meter it, right? So I can't think of any use for the connector to also do it in a residential situation. There's a new commercial option for metering and charging.
The car doesn't measure charging losses, power used to precondition, vampire drain while plugged in, etc.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
You know that the CAR is able to meter it, right? So I can't think of any use for the connector to also do it in a residential situation. There's a new commercial option for metering and charging.
I asked in a previous thread eons ago if the car would tell me how many kWh I charged. My question was so when I visit my parents I can figure out how much I own them in electricity. So I could try to pay them, the'd refuse, I'd hide the money in their house. They'd find it and hide it in my car. We'd both complain. You know game...

Oh, and I was told, no, the car won't tell me the kWh. At least not directly. Some third party apps might be able too.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
It will tell you the amount charged. As Crissa said, it won't tell you full amount consumed at the plug. I have a whole house energy monitor and the amount used is a tiny bit more than the charge EXCEPT when running HVAC in extreme weather. The AC will consume as much as 6kW while cooling the cabin when plugged in, before driving. It takes this from the plug, not the battery. You can prevent this, and I do, but using a shortcut that also turns off charging. So I tell my watch "climate control" which starts HVAC and ejects the charger, then sets a timer for five minutes. Because I have ADD as well as CRS and I can get distracted and leave it for half an hour.

I don't know how much power is used for heating. That's super rare in Phoenix, and not having a morning commute.

Tesla Cybertruck Some Interesting Charging Options added to Tesla App and Wall Connector 1660079692345

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Maybe, depends on your needs. I was just having this conversation with a friend and in his condo they are just having people log the in-car reports for individual bills, then they evenly split the "overage." But people are stupid and lazy, and not remembering to do it, or some can't figure out how to make their cars show the data. Some forget every damn month. So he's looking for a meter method.

I have a neighbor who needs my charger on occasion. He notes the usage and sends me a few bucks by Zelle here and there.

So, maybe. Note also that I did differentiate meter charges and not.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Maybe you're not aware, but Tesla has a commercial package to do that. You have to ask them for it and meet some minimums (which are way too high IMO). Based on that, I don't see them trickling this down to individuals. They barely just did the commercial announcement. This seems like an area that really needs help.

Also my friend's issue is with a non-Tesla charger. So no help to him. There are a couple of third party billing companies out there, you have to buy a compatible charger, and they skim about 10% off the top.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
It will tell you the amount charged. As Crissa said, it won't tell you full amount consumed at the plug. I have a whole house energy monitor and the amount used is a tiny bit more than the charge EXCEPT when running HVAC in extreme weather. The AC will consume as much as 6kW while cooling the cabin when plugged in, before driving. It takes this from the plug, not the battery. You can prevent this, and I do, but using a shortcut that also turns off charging. So I tell my watch "climate control" which starts HVAC and ejects the charger, then sets a timer for five minutes. Because I have ADD as well as CRS and I can get distracted and leave it for half an hour.

I don't know how much power is used for heating. That's super rare in Phoenix, and not having a morning commute.

1660079692345.jpeg
Thanks for that. I was under the impression it only told you like the miles gained. Not actual kWh