Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I'd be happy with the Rivian solution. It has an underbed compartment that can FIT a spare, but doesn't come with one. The VAST majority of owners don't need a spare, and I'd bet that the VAST majority of spare tires are 3-4 times as old as the tires on the vehicle because they're so rarely used. I've done a fair amount of pretty serious off-roading (not rock crawling) and haven't had a catastrophic failure (one that precludes just repeated re-airing to get back to civilization) or rolled off the rim.

My strandings have been from failed suspension/steering/drive parts that I didn't carry spares of. Yeah, I've been lucky, but I also tailor my aggressiveness to the circumstances based on whether I'm alone, or far from civilization. If I ever do drag around a spare tire, it will only be in special circumstances when a non-fixable flat is likely or devastating. If a spare is an available option when I order, I will decline.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My spouse stopped to help an old guy replace a blown tire on a truck Friday.

The spare was so old that it blew immediately upon putting the truck down upon it, and the poor guy was stuck with the same problem he had when my spouse came upon him.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
So my 1997 OEM mounted spare that still holds air - might be a dead spare? That pretty much sums up my ”t’hare until you need a spare” attitude.
I vote “No” underside compartment big as a spare. Save the ass drag liability. I’ll rack a spare for those excursions.

Deleted member 12457

Unfortunately many shops in my area do not fix flat for free. And many more don't even mount tires unless purchased from them with that same justification.

I buy set of 4 new BF GoodRich, with stickers still on them. Most shops will not mount and balance unless purchased from them. This was not the case PC but today.. it is what it is..
You're going to the wrong tire shop. Luckily I live on the West Coast where I can go to a Les Schwab to get tires and have them repaired. I've taken a family member's can who didn't have tires from Les Schwab and they did the work for free, using my account. This has happened at more than one shop.

When someone complains about the cost to repair and balance a tire (not specifically talking about you), I just shake my head. So it costs $20-$30. How much did you pay for your car/truck? How much did you pay for your tires? If I remember right, my last set of Les Schwab Wild Country 10-ply tires was nearly $1000. I have picked up a nail or screw or two and luckily this was within the repairable tread area so LS fixed it for free. I'm not going to complain about paying 2% of the cost of the tires to fix one. As for buying tires and storing them in your garage for when you need them, there is an age limit on the rubber so you've already wasted your warranty by not actually using them. As for my Tacoma's spare, I don't believe I've ever actually used it and it is a full-size spare. When I bought my last set of tires, I actually took one of my used tires and am using it as my spare because my spare was made in late 2012.

Deleted member 12457

So my 1997 OEM mounted spare that still holds air - might be a dead spare? That pretty much sums up my ”t’hare until you need a spare” attitude.
I vote “No” underside compartment big as a spare. Save the ass drag liability. I’ll rack a spare for those excursions.
Check out https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/tires

--As tires age, they are more prone to failure. Some vehicle and tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires that are six to 10 years old, regardless of treadwear. You can determine how old your tire is by looking on the sidewall for your DOT Tire Identification Number (TIN) . The last four digits of the TIN indicate the week and year the tire was made. If the TIN reads 0308 it was made in the third week of 2008. Look on both sides of the tire. The TIN may not be on both sides.

--Spare tires on all vehicles are prone to aging because they seldom get replaced. Taking into account that tires degrade over time, NHTSA recommends that if your vehicle comes equipped with a full-size spare tire, that it not be used as a replacement for worn tires, except in emergencies such as replacing a flat tire.

My current tires are dated 2017, so five years old. I haven't been driving as much since I moved downtown near everything and gas was over $5/gal. I'm in an environment where it freezes and gets hot (actually warm to everyone else but hot here). Rubber wears out quicker in hot environments. As for your antique spare tire, I would replace it immediately. You can always check out tire stores to see if they have a used tire that isn't past its usage date for a spare.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
When I had a vehicle with a tire mounted on the back, it was rotated in as part of tire rotation, and one of the other tires was rotated to the rear position. I think those tires I got 5 rotations before I ended up trading that in for a more family oriented vehicle (Subaru Legacy).

Deleted member 12457

When I had a vehicle with a tire mounted on the back, it was rotated in as part of tire rotation, and one of the other tires was rotated to the rear position. I think those tires I got 5 rotations before I ended up trading that in for a more family oriented vehicle (Subaru Legacy).
Actually, most car and tire manufacturers say not to rotate in spare tires because it affects the other three tires. The spare usually has the most tread making the tires unbalanced, especially on an AWD on your Legacy. This was acceptable when using bias ply tires but not as much with radials and definitely not on AWD vehicles.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Actually, most car and tire manufacturers say not to rotate in spare tires because it affects the other three tires. The spare usually has the most tread making the tires unbalanced, especially on an AWD on your Legacy. This was acceptable when using bias ply tires but not as much with radials and definitely not on AWD vehicles.
Yes.

But twenty years ago, few cars were AWD and that's what you did. You also rotate them more frequently, so the difference in tread doesn't matter. 3k miles different on a 60k tire is 5%, not enough to worry about. 10% isn't even enough to worry.

Lots of suggestions are so they can sell you more stuff. But the other way is to take the best tire out of the last set and make it the spare. Then it's only a little old, and is only needed to get you home anyhow.

-Crissa

Deleted member 12457

Yes.

But twenty years ago, few cars were AWD and that's what you did. You also rotate them more frequently, so the difference in tread doesn't matter. 3k miles different on a 60k tire is 5%, not enough to worry about. 10% isn't even enough to worry.

Lots of suggestions are so they can sell you more stuff. But the other way is to take the best tire out of the last set and make it the spare. Then it's only a little old, and is only needed to get you home anyhow.

-Crissa
I also remember my bias ply tires not lasting anywhere near as many miles as my radials.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yeah, I had locking hubs on the front... Never was an issue.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
When I replace tires I typically rotate the best used onto the spare. I tend to replace tires every 4-6 years. It keeps the spare reasonably fresh and most places will do that for $5-10 if not free. Most new cars even if they come with a full sized spare have the cheapest rim possible for the spare so it doesn't even match if you want to rotate it in.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
All my wheels/rims matched as well as the tires.
But again, that is more common when the tire/wheel is mounted on the back where people can see it. ;)

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
All my wheels/rims matched as well as the tires.
But again, that is more common when the tire/wheel is mounted on the back where people can see it. ;)
Interesting… sounds almost like for some, a grower is a shower.

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
I know how you feel. I have had my Midrl Y since March and got a nail in a tire on the 4th. Slow leak and I was using a portable pump to keep it filled for a couple of days before scheduling a service with Tesla. I would not want that happening with the truck. Nor am I particularly enamored with the idea of using the bed (or the lockable storage) for a spare tire, but as @Crissa mentioned that is likely what we will have to do.
I got a puncture in DC on a Saturday evening. Don’t want to go through that ever again. I now carry a Mustang space saver spare wheel in my model 3. This phoning Tesla service for help is a joke, believe me!
Sponsored