HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I cant repeat the jargon, but Sandy said (as we know) Tesla processed the SS to make it super hard.

Perhaps since 2019 they made the SS even stronger and 1.8mm(if) was enough and perhaps not as compromised. ?
My interpretation of the Sandy's comments was that the steel was delivered in full-hard condition, but that the bending done by Tesla further work-hardened the creased areas which will greatly stiffen the entire structure, but not harden the panel surfaces any further. Mostly this comes down to the fact that folding metal gives it more structure to resist bending forces.

As to the thickness of the panels, that rear quarter panel took a couple of bullets right near the forward edge and judging by the similar deformation to the door panel, I would say it's not much thinner than the door panels. It does look like it might be up to 20% thinner, at most. It's hard to judge because the bullets hit right near the unsupported enge of the quarter panel.

There must be some reason the sledgehammer and the bullets are always applied to the door panels and not on the quarter panels! LOL!

Even so, I think the entire truck has a hard shell that is resistant to normal impacts from things like shopping carts, baseballs, drones, highway stones, off-road saplings, shrubs and branches, lighter objects picked up up the wind in storms like lawn furniture, fences, roofing materials and other debris that blows around. Sure, whack it good enough and it's going to dent, but most stuff that damages fragile soft, thin panels on normal vehicles, having damage prone paint, is just going to bounce right off even the least robust panels on the Cybertruck because they are all cold-rolled stainless steel of a proprietary alloy that is highly rust resistant and has a hard surface.

The steel used in the Cybertruck is not similar to that used in the DeLorean, it's much thicker and harder.
Sponsored