Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Every once in a while I return to wondering just how strong 3 mm hardened stainless might be. This morning I went outside and measured the thickness of a piece of flat steel that I have lying around and it is 1/8" (or 3 mm). This sucker, which is much softer than hardened stainless, is a beast! I can barely bend 20 gauge stainless in my finger brake and it is less than 1 mm thick. I cannot wait for the Cybertruck to come home to roost in my driveway - for this if nothing else.
Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I believe two quarters stacked together is 3mm
Correct! 3mm is roughly 1/8”.
Tesla Cybertruck 3mm stainless steel - wow 835E6085-79C9-4C45-9089-D34FDABD27A6

I highly doubt if the frunk skin and fenders will be 3mm thick because of the frontal crumple zone. Also, look at the under hood support stamping. That alone tells me that the frunk skin is thinner than 3mm.
Tesla Cybertruck 3mm stainless steel - wow 556454B4-F2B6-4B78-ABEF-CDC3DF996087

The drivers door skin looks pretty thick however
Tesla Cybertruck 3mm stainless steel - wow AB45A1C9-2B33-417B-A6FF-5AF38B249C54

Last edited:

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
This part doesn't look 3mm. Not RCs etc but you would hope these details would be at least close to being worked out at this stage..

Tesla Cybertruck 3mm stainless steel - wow Screenshot 2023-07-02 2.18.25 PM

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Someone knowledgeable looked at the door pieces published last month (in a bin) and said they looked 3 mm and since Elon/Tesla never said otherwise I am going with that.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
835E6085-79C9-4C45-9089-D34FDABD27A6.jpeg

I highly doubt if the frunk skin and fenders will be 3mm thick because of the frontal crumple zone. Also, look at the under hood support stamping. That alone tells me that the frunk skin is thinner than 3mm.
556454B4-F2B6-4B78-ABEF-CDC3DF996087.jpeg

AB45A1C9-2B33-417B-A6FF-5AF38B249C54.jpeg
That is a door. For sure.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
835E6085-79C9-4C45-9089-D34FDABD27A6.jpeg

556454B4-F2B6-4B78-ABEF-CDC3DF996087.jpeg

AB45A1C9-2B33-417B-A6FF-5AF38B249C54.jpeg
I often wonder how anyone can ‘doubt’ what Elon and Franz have never wavered on since the get go. You guys have a lot of pluck. But go for it if raising doubt is your thing.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Every once in a while I return to wondering just how strong 3 mm hardened stainless might be. This morning I went outside and measured the thickness of a piece of flat steel that I have lying around and it is 1/8" (or 3 mm). This sucker, which is much softer than hardened stainless, is a beast! I can barely bend 20 gauge stainless in my finger brake and it is less than 1 mm thick. I cannot wait for the Cybertruck to come home to roost in my driveway - for this if nothing else.
Just a guess, but the 'ROOST' is History
CYBERTRUCK is THE GREATEST!

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I often wonder how anyone can ‘doubt’ what Elon and Franz have never wavered on since the get go. You guys have a lot of pluck. But go for it if raising doubt is your thing.
You mean from 2019 which was four years ago? I don’t recall anywhere along the way where they have said the skin will continue to be 3 mm. And a lot of other things along the way have changed so it’s fair game for anything to be in question unless formally announced or in this case reannounced since it’s been four years.

Also, 3mm may be an overkill for the entire vehicle. This is roughly, the same thickness of an aircraft skin. Is the extra weight throughout the cybertruck worth it? Performance vehicles go with lighter weight hood, tops, and various panels where the extra thickness/weight is not needed. Why would cybertruck be any different?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Performance vehicles go with lighter weight hood, tops, and various panels where the extra thickness/weight is not needed. Why would cybertruck be any different?
For protection from large hail damage (common in U.S. states of Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, and country Mexico), it would be very useful for the hood and front fender to be 3mm cold-rolled stainless steel too.

I would much prefer a roof of 3mm cold-rolled stainless steel instead of even armor glass roof.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag

Even at 6mm the frunk would require some internal structure to prevent twisting and bending. Seeing the support structure doesn't mean the skin is or is not any specific thickness. Although, you probably could say that the structure does mean the skin is NOT an inch or more thick.
Sponsored