Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
image_asset_107593.jpg

A new study finds that electric vehicles in California drive fewer miles than their gas-powered counterparts. A parking lot of predominantly Tesla Model 3 electric vehicles is pictured in Richmond, Calif., in June 2018. Stephen Lam/Reuters/File Photo/Newscom

Electric vehicles in California logged half the miles on the roads of gas-powered cars and didn't draw the big quantity of energy that grid planners expected, according to a new study.

The results of the study, published today by the National Bureau of Economic Research, feed into a topic of intensifying interest to the new Biden administration and in the states: How many resources should be devoted to supporting electric cars?

Researchers, including Fiona Burlig, an energy and environmental policy professor at the University of Chicago, analyzed utility industry data to reveal how much EVs are actually driven compared with their gasoline counterparts.

The findings surprised the academics. As of four years ago, EVs in the Golden State drove on average 5,300 miles a year, less than half the distance driven by an average gas-powered car. And their energy usage is a small fraction of what state officials assume.

"If it turns out there are various reasons that people drive their EVs less," Burlig said, "it means that the EV is a less-good substitute for the gas car than we thought."

Burlig acknowledged the study has limits. It looked at California's use of EVs in a three-year period ending in 2017. EVs were less popular then; the Tesla Model 3, now the country's hottest-selling EV, had just hit the streets.

The study also didn't consider why electric cars' travel is so constrained. But the researchers have some ideas.

It could be that the drivers, encountering few public charging stations and suffering range anxiety, didn't trust their EVs for longer trips. It could be that households with more than one car look at their EV as an auxiliary. Or it could be that California's electricity rates, among the highest in the country, made fueling too expensive.

Whatever the reason, there is something about EVs that makes them less convenient.

"Those are costs we're not necessarily thinking about," Burlig said.

The study's other co-authors were James Bushnell and David Rapson, both economics professors at the University of California, Davis, and Catherine Wolfram, a business professor at UC Berkeley.

Burlig said they didn't originally plan to focus their attention on EVs.

They were more interested in how new actors, like EVs and solar panels, would affect reliability on the electric grid. But the researchers changed course when they realized that the impact of EVs on the grid was mostly unknown.

"We thought we would pull something off the shelf, and that didn't exist," Burlig said.

Past studies out of California — home to about half of all EVs in the United States — have looked at households that have their EV on a separate electricity meter.

That, however, is rare in the real world. Most homes with EV charging stations in the garage don't dedicate a meter to it. Instead, the energy draw is mingled with all other devices, like refrigerators, dryers and lights.

To find how much juice regular EV owners were using, the researchers got the addresses of those who registered new electric cars in California. Then they matched those against the addresses in a massive database of the state's utility customers..

Normally, energy data this specific would be off-limits, but the researchers took advantage of a California law that makes it available to academic researchers.

They found that charging an EV increased electricity usage by 2.9 kilowatt-hours a day compared with an average home.

That number is significant because it is so much less than the state of California assumes it to be. The California Public Utilities Commission, using data from the state's investor-owned utilities, estimated that an EV uses almost three times as much — somewhere around 7 or 8 kWh a day.

"Regulators have been using unreliable information," said Rapson, one of the study authors.

Next, the researchers estimated how far those vehicles actually travel.

They did that by noting how much a home's energy use grew after it got an EV and comparing the result to how much energy that particular model of EV uses as it travels the roads.

That yielded the finding that the average EV in Northern California drove 5,300 miles a year. By comparison, the National Household Travel Survey, carried out by the U.S. Department of Transportation, estimates the average passenger vehicle travels 12,000 miles a year.

Researchers uncovered another head-scratching tidbit: Owners of Teslas consumed almost twice the kilowatt-hours of other electric brands.

Why is still a mystery, but Burlig has a theory, related to the fact that Teslas have bigger batteries — and much longer driving ranges — than other EVs.

"If I'm interested in taking my EV on long trips," she said, "I'm more likely to invest in a Tesla than if I'm using it for trips to the grocery store."

Correction: An earlier version of this story included data attributed to the California Energy Commission; it actually came from the California Public Utilities Commission.

SOURCE: E&E NEWS
Sponsored

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Since this study ends in 2017, it’s useless. The Model 3 is the first real mainstream gas alternative.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The vast majority of EVs in 2017 were 100-mile cars. If they drove half their range every day, that's about four thousand miles...

This study is useless.

-Crissa

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
I can think of several reasons that I'm not surprised by this result.
- many 2 car families have replaced the less used commuter car with a shorter range EV
- many people for whom the shorter range EVs fit their lifestyle it was BECAUSE they drive fewer miles in a year than the people who decided an EV didn't yet fit into their life.
- There have been few family road trip sized options until fairly recently. (Model Y did not exist in 2017, I'm not sure if the Chrysler van fits the study's definition of EV being a PHEV, Kona was just hitting the market, Niro wasn't available yet) So for a lot of families, it was not that they didn't trust the EV for a long trip, but that the EV was too small to take the whole family and all of their stuff on a long trip.

Deleted member 859

I don’t think that study tells us anything. I don’t live in California. My 2014 Model S just turned 7 years old. It has over 101k miles. Avg. miles per year, 14,505. We drive it like a regular car and take it on trips from the San Antonio area to Dallas and back using primarily the Supercharger network. When we first purchased the car, the Supercharger network wasn’t as fleshed out, so we selected hotels with Chargepoint chargers, but that didn’t stop us from driving it. We just planned ahead.

~Jek~

First Name
Jekare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor CT reserved, LR AWD Model 3 on order, 2011 Smart Fortwo
Country flag
Personally I drive my Model 3 more then I ever have any other vehicle. ??‍♂

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
As others said... Meh. I only read the first part, until I got to the point where it said the study ended in 2017. Pretty much all but Tesla EVs had about a 70 mile range until then... Things have changed a lot in the last 4 years, with EVs.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
image_asset_107593.jpg

A new study finds that electric vehicles in California drive fewer miles than their gas-powered counterparts. A parking lot of predominantly Tesla Model 3 electric vehicles is pictured in Richmond, Calif., in June 2018. Stephen Lam/Reuters/File Photo/Newscom

Electric vehicles in California logged half the miles on the roads of gas-powered cars and didn't draw the big quantity of energy that grid planners expected, according to a new study.

The results of the study, published today by the National Bureau of Economic Research, feed into a topic of intensifying interest to the new Biden administration and in the states: How many resources should be devoted to supporting electric cars?

Researchers, including Fiona Burlig, an energy and environmental policy professor at the University of Chicago, analyzed utility industry data to reveal how much EVs are actually driven compared with their gasoline counterparts.

The findings surprised the academics. As of four years ago, EVs in the Golden State drove on average 5,300 miles a year, less than half the distance driven by an average gas-powered car. And their energy usage is a small fraction of what state officials assume.

"If it turns out there are various reasons that people drive their EVs less," Burlig said, "it means that the EV is a less-good substitute for the gas car than we thought."

Burlig acknowledged the study has limits. It looked at California's use of EVs in a three-year period ending in 2017. EVs were less popular then; the Tesla Model 3, now the country's hottest-selling EV, had just hit the streets.

The study also didn't consider why electric cars' travel is so constrained. But the researchers have some ideas.

It could be that the drivers, encountering few public charging stations and suffering range anxiety, didn't trust their EVs for longer trips. It could be that households with more than one car look at their EV as an auxiliary. Or it could be that California's electricity rates, among the highest in the country, made fueling too expensive.

Whatever the reason, there is something about EVs that makes them less convenient.

"Those are costs we're not necessarily thinking about," Burlig said.

The study's other co-authors were James Bushnell and David Rapson, both economics professors at the University of California, Davis, and Catherine Wolfram, a business professor at UC Berkeley.

Burlig said they didn't originally plan to focus their attention on EVs.

They were more interested in how new actors, like EVs and solar panels, would affect reliability on the electric grid. But the researchers changed course when they realized that the impact of EVs on the grid was mostly unknown.

"We thought we would pull something off the shelf, and that didn't exist," Burlig said.

Past studies out of California — home to about half of all EVs in the United States — have looked at households that have their EV on a separate electricity meter.

That, however, is rare in the real world. Most homes with EV charging stations in the garage don't dedicate a meter to it. Instead, the energy draw is mingled with all other devices, like refrigerators, dryers and lights.

To find how much juice regular EV owners were using, the researchers got the addresses of those who registered new electric cars in California. Then they matched those against the addresses in a massive database of the state's utility customers..

Normally, energy data this specific would be off-limits, but the researchers took advantage of a California law that makes it available to academic researchers.

They found that charging an EV increased electricity usage by 2.9 kilowatt-hours a day compared with an average home.

That number is significant because it is so much less than the state of California assumes it to be. The California Public Utilities Commission, using data from the state's investor-owned utilities, estimated that an EV uses almost three times as much — somewhere around 7 or 8 kWh a day.

"Regulators have been using unreliable information," said Rapson, one of the study authors.

Next, the researchers estimated how far those vehicles actually travel.

They did that by noting how much a home's energy use grew after it got an EV and comparing the result to how much energy that particular model of EV uses as it travels the roads.

That yielded the finding that the average EV in Northern California drove 5,300 miles a year. By comparison, the National Household Travel Survey, carried out by the U.S. Department of Transportation, estimates the average passenger vehicle travels 12,000 miles a year.

Researchers uncovered another head-scratching tidbit: Owners of Teslas consumed almost twice the kilowatt-hours of other electric brands.

Why is still a mystery, but Burlig has a theory, related to the fact that Teslas have bigger batteries — and much longer driving ranges — than other EVs.

"If I'm interested in taking my EV on long trips," she said, "I'm more likely to invest in a Tesla than if I'm using it for trips to the grocery store."

Correction: An earlier version of this story included data attributed to the California Energy Commission; it actually came from the California Public Utilities Commission.

SOURCE: E&E NEWS
I’ve put 24,000 miles on my chevy bolt in about 18 months. That’s more than I would have put on my gas vehicle. This study is BS.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Agreed. Have driven much more in the Model 3 than any other car. Had I had an EV before 2017 it would have been a small city EV as a second car.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Aside from the gradual ramp up of EVs in the years since 2017, another study that would be worth seeing is the usage of EV and ICE vehicles pre-covid, during, and post-covid. I have seen a sea change to virtual formats (when possible).

I know in my situation, vehicle use has dropped dramatically due companies and schools being forced to convert to a new virtual format. I'm loving no commute so much so that I would think less of another job opportunity that involves a commute. I get that not everyone can work virtually, but for those that can, it's a new world, and I doubt post Covid that all companies will bounce right back to the old format. Even my auto insurance company gave discounts due to less claim experience and less miles driven on insured's cars.

We'll see what this year brings, but that has to factor in, at least somewhat, to the demand for and usage of vehicles on the whole.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Even my auto insurance company gave discounts due to less claim experience and less miles driven on insured's cars.
Used car sales are booming, EV sales are booming, new ICE car sales... Well, that had a good month but never made up the drop.

-Crissa

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Used car sales are booming, EV sales are booming, new ICE car sales... Well, that had a good month but never made up the drop.

-Crissa
I was referring to a longer term study that hasn't been written yet because the post-Covid experience hasn't happened yet. As far as near term monthly sales reports go, yes, used car sales are up as that is what people buy when they need transportation if they can't afford/get approved for a new car and or after getting their vehicle repossessed. For example, local repo yards are full to capacity. Yes EV sales are up as that has been the trend.
Sponsored