T-slots in bed of vault

2Futre4u

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor LR 2019 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Trailboss 1994 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
Country flag
Guys they sell bed mats that work great, lets not reinvent the wheel here (More than the CT is already), like a 60$, lasts a lifetime, nothing slides, and rolls up if you don't want it there.
Sponsored

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm wondering if the load area will be weather proof when the cover is closed. I mean in a heavy rainstorm. The reason I ask is I want to know if I can keep my bags/ suitcases worry free in the bed during rain (of course with the top closed). Even if some water gets in, it may soak the bags due to constant movement of the vehicle. That'll be a bummer. I want that area to be as water proof as the cargo area inside an SUV. Any opinions.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Even if it is waterproof at the time of construction it may not stay that way. It does have underbed storage and frunk that are easier to make and keep waterproof.

Cid2042

First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Occupation
Director of Global Enterprise Architecture
Country flag
They also make t slot covers that sit flush with the deck. They are seen on cnc machine decks. IMO CT will probably come with the slots covered.

s-l640.jpg
I love how you just crushed this topic with a single pic. I was going to suggest the same thing. If you worked with t-slots there are many different types of covers.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I love how you just crushed this topic with a single pic. I was going to suggest the same thing. If you worked with t-slots there are many different types of covers.
Thank you.... but I am not convinced that the lines in the bed are t slots.... they could just be anti slip strips. I hope they are t slots for the added functionality but then I believe they come already capped with anti slip strips.
Do you think if I put a bed mat and hook up air to the slots I can float out the whole load of leaves like it's on an air hocky table?

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
If you have to cover the thing it's not engineered right.
Oversimplification. Trucks are general purpose, meaning my needs and yours may not match. So, it is not possible to engineer it to meet both our needs.

Simple aftermarket products exist for that reason.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Oversimplification. Trucks are general purpose, meaning my needs and yours may not match. So, it is not possible to engineer it to meet both our needs.

Simple aftermarket products exist for that reason.
If I have to put a bed liner in CT my heart will be crushed and I am uncertain that I shall ever see any joy in making avo toast on the kitchen counter dash. I understand needs being different, I dont need t slots in the bed and I know some do. But the bed is meant for hauling things and has to be durable enough to do it. Bed liners are the worst. They get dirt under them that traps moisture and rusts out the bed( not on CT because stainless) but on other trucks. Having to install a bed liner or covering the bed in rhino liner just means the manufacturer did a crap job building the thing they sold it for. If the bed needs rhino liner to function then the manufacturer should have put it in the first place. I want to believe, need to believe, that Tesla is better and the age of having to accept engineering mediocrity is over.
I want seats I don't have to cover. I want things that do the things they are supposed to do in the real world. And if the customers have different needs then make different manufacturers options. Relying on aftermarket is lazy.
I envision a future where I can buy a smartphone and then not have to put it in a case because it will instantly break if I don't. If everyone's phone is In a case or broken; Apple you are making a crap product.
If everyone is putting a bed liner the trucks bed is crap. I demand better!

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Another reason I think the slots will come covered in some grippy material. The bed will be very slippery if it is just smooth metal. There are similar "slots" on the ramp and their only function could be to hold anti-slip strips. However I do believe they are t slots and not just grippy material. This will allow craftsmen to mount their equipment...
I'm wondering if it would be worth it to spray the bed in rhino liner or something (masking off the slots of course). Will that stuff even stick to SS?

Dixon1430

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
SRNA
Country flag
I think the idea of the slots is good. However, I think they could get away with far fewer slots, decreasing the risk of debris getting stuck in the slots. Maybe three or four total slots would be more than adequate. Anything smaller can go in the cab... There would still be adequate functionality and likely make manufacturing slightly easier? I will be using a heavy-duty tarp if I ever have to transfer debris or anything else but that is just me. Just because it is a truck doesn't mean I'm going to beat the crap out of it.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
sounds good
Sponsored