SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
So $12.5k if the vehicle is US made by union workers and $10k if the vehicle is US made by non-union workers. Incentive now (potentially) based on 50% of sales being electric vs the old incentive of 200k per manufacturer.

I caveat the rest of what I'm about to say with the statement that I'm not even sure I agree with any incentive. Having said that, from a logic perspective, I like the second part more then the first. I can't say I like the incentive favoring the unions. It has nothing to do with being a Tesla fan or an opinion on the benefit of unions. It just feels petty to give less incentive to purchase a car from a company that got EV ball rolling. If anything, (assuming the government does want more EVs on the road) it would seem more productive to provide more incentive to the company (not necessarily the purchaser) that can sell the most EVs. Keep the purchaser incentive equal, and add some type of additional incentive for the manufacturer.

https://electrek.co/2021/05/27/electric-car-us-tax-credit-up-less-tesla-vehicles/
Sponsored

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
No. I believe they are saying the incentive would be phased out after 50% of all sales nationwide are for EVs.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, it's all US sales. It's unclear if that counts PHEVs or Fuel-Cell vehicles; right now Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles outnumber Battery Electric Vehicles, and more companies are releasing them. If that's so, they need a 5kWh battery and a plug to qualify. So no mild hybrids.

The companies not releasing BEVs could be incentivized to release more PHEVs to outpace the BEV companies. That would still be good for us, though, since more companies and more EVs is better, even if it's not as great for the existing BEV companies.

-Crissa
Sponsored