Berno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Tacoma, TLR200
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
There is a company that makes camper shells out of stainless steel and offers lots of storage/camping options. I’m sure they will design something worthy of CT. I don’t think I’m supposed to name names but they are called Smartcap.
Sponsored

Deleted member 12457

There is a company that makes camper shells out of stainless steel and offers lots of storage/camping options. I’m sure they will design something worthy of CT. I don’t think I’m supposed to name names but they are called Smartcap.
Just looked and they appear modular for easy installation. The CT is going to mess every camper shell, etc., vendor up because they'll have to deal with an angled bed top cap. This will negate the majority of side opening covers except for smaller openings near the rear. We've all seen mockups but until the CT is available for cover manufacturers, we won't know exactly what will fit and what it will do to the CT's aerodynamics, other than mess it up. The other issue will be installation and removal. The side of the CT bed isn't exactly low making it more difficult to lift(?) a cover up instead of sliding one onto a level bed cap. My Diamondback comes apart easily and each of the three pieces is not that heavy. I just put it on the tailgate, hop onto the tailgate and lift the pieces onto the bed cap. The designers will have to really take the rear height of the CT into account from day 1. They'll also have to take into account the tailgate. Maybe dropping the tailgate, extending the ramps and walking up to the bed will make it pretty easy to install modular covers but non modular covers will be heavy and a pain to attach.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just looked and they appear modular for easy installation. The CT is going to mess every camper shell, etc., vendor up because they'll have to deal with an angled bed top cap. This will negate the majority of side opening covers except for smaller openings near the rear. We've all seen mockups but until the CT is available for cover manufacturers, we won't know exactly what will fit and what it will do to the CT's aerodynamics, other than mess it up. The other issue will be installation and removal. The side of the CT bed isn't exactly low making it more difficult to lift(?) a cover up instead of sliding one onto a level bed cap. My Diamondback comes apart easily and each of the three pieces is not that heavy. I just put it on the tailgate, hop onto the tailgate and lift the pieces onto the bed cap. The designers will have to really take the rear height of the CT into account from day 1. They'll also have to take into account the tailgate. Maybe dropping the tailgate, extending the ramps and walking up to the bed will make it pretty easy to install modular covers but non modular covers will be heavy and a pain to attach.
Lots of products are built to work with one specific truck In mind.

Avalanche and the Ridgeline had similar issues. As will the new Silverado EV.

Many products only work with 1 particular truck for a few specific years. People who make accessories deal with this stuff a lot.

dolebomo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1985 Defender 110, Tesla X & 3
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Country flag
Maybe the storage is accessible from the inside of the bed. My Land Rovers all have interior storage lockers around the wheel wells - very handy, and much simpler.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
If Tesla wants the CT to replace working trucks they'll need to figure out how to allow typical bed topper. Even camper shells will need adjustments. Yes, someone will design new pickup truck bed accessories but every one of them negates the use of the retractable tonneau cover, which means Tesla might need a secondary CT without the tonneau cover and maybe even a radical change to the rear of the CT. This absolutely will change the engineering needed to produce a sturdy vehicle.

This type would require the removal of the tailgate and major adjustments to the design to fit the sloped bed sides. It might also require changes to the rear suspension. I know these things are heavy and my Tacoma without air-springs/shocks would bottom out while it's suspended above the truck (/s) but I see way too many pickups porpoising when towing and carrying these types of accessories. The CT should be able to easily level everything out so maybe it won't be a problem.

iu-3.png
Due to limited production, the initial CyberTrucks (before 2025) will be like the prototypes e.g. more standard transportation, recreational vehicle than a work truck. A subsequent model could emerge as a more typical work truck with needed accessories.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I want a folding sheet rack . It can fold to lay flat just above the vault cover. With a aerodynamic nose on it the drag penalty could be greatly reduce. It could even be extended further up and then used as a skeleton for a tent.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_011

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_002-2

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes tesla-cybertruck-rack1

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Don't over speculate on this one. The gap was very small on the original prototype I saw at the Petersen. Even from one side of the image to the other it looks like there is a gap and then no gap. But I definitely saw the gap in person all the way across.

I often argue on this forum that people over value the exoskeletons as primary body structure and this is one of the areas that leads me to believe the exoskeleton plays much less of a structural role. If this sail pillar opens, which is very much a primary structural component of the unibody design, how is it transferring the body load. Especially if the doors also open right next to it. So with the sail pillar up and the doors open most of the body structure would be transferring through the glass at that point. If this storage compartment does stay if will strengthen my argument that there is a significant interior portion of the steel body and not just a stainless exoskeleton that mysteriously hold the whole body together by itself.

And back on the topic of this storage compartment. The CT bed already struggles with accessibility due to the shade pillars. Even if the truck can lower significantly to allow you to reach over, I doubt it will be that easy to reach whats in the bed. They will probably have a running board that helps to step up on, but having this storage for small stuff that would otherwise get trapped by the midgate would be a huge plus IMO.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes 1647282361536

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Nearly no one can reach into a bed from the side.

The entire idea that the bed is harder to access because of these sail panels is... well, I want to see them reach into the other full-sized trucks today.

-Crissa

OP
OP
samson

samson

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Occupation
yolo'r
Country flag
I want a folding sheet rack . It can fold to lay flat just above the vault cover. With a aerodynamic nose on it the drag penalty could be greatly reduce. It could even be extended further up and then used as a skeleton for a tent.

Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_011.jpg

Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_002-2.jpg

tesla-cybertruck-rack1.jpg
Oooh I dig this Dually even though it might not happen because that means we dont get 4 wheel steering. Maybe there would be a heavy duty version of Cybertruck after the initial plaid CT launches

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Nearly no one can reach into a bed from the side.

The entire idea that the bed is harder to access because of these sail panels is... well, I want to see them reach into the other full-sized trucks today.

-Crissa
Did this all the time in my lifted Tundra. Most of the time I didn’t open the tailgate for small stuff just lift it over the side. I am 5’11”, not short but not a giant.

Often small gear would get tucked behind the cab.

I don’t understand why you keep repeating this point. I don’t own my Tundra any more or I’d post a picture of me lifting something over the side.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes 1647287397712

Its pretty clear Musk could easily reach over the tailgate and grab something out of the back of the Cybertruck. Without the sail pillars he would be able to reach into the bed from the sides.

Yes Musk is tall, but in this picture, the truck is at one of its higher suspension settings and can lower down For shorter people.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
1647287397712.jpeg

Its pretty clear Musk could easily reach over the tailgate and grab something out of the back of the Cybertruck. Without the sail pillars he would be able to reach into the bed from the sides.

Yes Musk is tall, but in this picture, the truck is at one of its higher suspension settings and can lower down For shorter people.
The Cybertruck isn't as large as others think. Also, it's not an 'other full-sized truck'.

-Crissa

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Just a casual day going over CT recap videos got me curious and caught my attention. Did you guys notice it looks like the side sail storage is gone and maybe we have a Side Panel opener instead.

1. This Pic showed at the Debut
Side sail storage.PNG

2. This new prototype at tesla giga texas shows one smooth panel with no gaps

no gaps.PNG

3. Here is an even closer picture if that side sail was there you would see a gap partition line like the one between doors.
One piece panel.PNG

4. This was the earlier prototype drone footage with BAW still no panel gaps suggesting one piece panel.
Toolbox storage_ Side Sail door.PNG

5. maybe the entire panel goes up but with the charge port door not sure but would look badass

side panel opener 2.PNG

6. this design will help when it rains.

side panel opener.PNG

I believe an Ukraine version is in the works.
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes Armed CyberTrk ukraine

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
If the side storage makes it to production, and if this feature, the pass-through, and the 4 wheel steering will raise the price point unreasonably, I hope they are options.

IMO, these are nice-to-haves. I will be looking for a dual motor truck that is at, or reasonably close to the announced price point without sacrificing quality, durability, or value.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If the side storage makes it to production, and if this feature, the pass-through, and the 4 wheel steering will raise the price point unreasonably, I hope they are options.

IMO, these are nice-to-haves. I will be looking for a dual motor truck that is at, or reasonably close to the announced price point without sacrificing quality, durability, or value.
If the sail pillar storage is in the final, it’ll be on every truck.

This feature has been on the truck since reveal. It is not raising the price, it is part of the unveil and part of the current specs on the site.
Sponsored