Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Before I outline my thoughts on this topic, the most important thing to point to is the fact that those negative consumer report rankings have been updated for the 3 and S. Only the X remains on the consumer reports naughty list.

As to 'Quality' scores, I think it's important to think about the electro/mechanical systems as separate from the 'fit and finish' elements of the vehicle. As a truck guy, its really just a matter of time before I damage my truck. What I care about is that it runs when I need it.

On that point I offer these thoughts:

1. The video interviews with Sandy Monroe are really interesting on this front because he basically said of the original model 3 vehicles that the build quality was sub-par, but that the electro/mechanical systems were some of the most impressive he'd ever seen.

2. There seems to be a general trajectory of significant improvement on the build quality issues across the line for all the Tesla vehicles.

3. There are just far fewer 'failure points' on teslas than on ICE vehicles. Less places to fail SHOULD result in less failure.

4. Outside of the Tundra, all full size pickup trucks have mediocre reliability scores. I think part of this is how we use trucks. When you beat the crap out of something, bad things eventually happen. Part of the reason Toyotas are so bullet proof is that the 2019 models are almost exactly the same mechanically as the 2012 models. They evolve VERY slowly to achieve that amazing reliability.

5. If you want to be an early adopter, you should be prepared to deal with early adopter issues. My bet is that there's going to be some issues with the Gen 1 model. I think Tesla has learned a lot from their other models and that they designed the Cybertruck to be a monster but you don't know what you don't know. I believe in Tesla. I own the stock and I've reserved two Cybertrucks, but I'm not expecting perfection, I'm expecting to feel what it's like to ride the future before everyone else and that comes with some risks.

6. Despite their issues, used Teslas tend to have some of the highest resale values in their class. I don't expect that to change anytime soon. To me, that says something about their long term utility.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
The working aero engine takes you to the scene of the crash.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
So at least one guy apparently caught on that the "pointless, fuzzy math" that I put in an earlier post was borrowed from the aviation anal;ogue. Clearly a motor failure in a BEV is not going to result in a change in altitude and, clearly, with a dual motor vehicle, you are going to continue in a straight line. But if you had a motor failure in one of the rear motors in a TriMotor there would be a torque to the side of the failed motor. In an airplane this is a big deal as most single englne failures occur at takeoff but are rare enough that pilots aren't trained enough in engine failure, don't remember "dead foot, dead engine" and feather the wrong prop. Assuming he gets the correct prop feathered obviously he must hold a lot of rudder (or set a lot of rudder trim) to the good engine side and this increases drag, which with, the loss of power from the failed engine, results in a lower service ceiling. I remember looking pretty seriously at a twin many years ago only to drop it like a hot potato when a guy I met at a party who worked for the FAA pointed out that this model would not hold altitude on 1 engine. I don't think any commercial aircraft would get certified could it not hold altitude in the case of engine failure(s).

With a TriMotor CT it's the computer that remembers "dead foot dead engine" and steers to keep you on the road but you wouldn't want to go rolling down the road with steering "trim" set, not if you value your tires and so there will be a screenfull of warning with chimes advising you to get off the road and call service.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I guess it's worth reiterating that given that you don't want to drive on remaining motors after a motor failure you are off the road given a single motor failure and therefore you are three times more likely to find yourself on the side of the road from motor failure in a TriMotor as in a RWD. But it will be easier to pull off the road safely.

As to general quality: I picked up a new X Thursday and every thing looks good so far. If I go really looking for imperfect panel alignment I can probably find it. Delivery was flawless and a month earlier than promised so it appears that they have stomped down some of the problems they were having with the 3 ramp up.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I guess it's worth reiterating that given that you don't want to drive on remaining motors after a motor failure you are off the road given a single motor failure and therefore you are three times more likely to find yourself on the side of the road from motor failure in a TriMotor as in a RWD. But it will be easier to pull off the road safely.

As to general quality: I picked up a new X Thursday and every thing looks good so far. If I go really looking for imperfect panel alignment I can probably find it. Delivery was flawless and a month earlier than promised so it appears that they have stomped down some of the problems they were having with the 3 ramp up.
Congratulations AJ!! That’s awesome!

Irish Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SUBR-'14 MAZ CX9-'12 MAX-6 '17 HNDA '17 CYBER TRK
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I like Franks thinking on the perils of driving on the working engine after the other failed.

OP
OP
Skidmarks68

Skidmarks68

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Radtech
Country flag
These small things some of you that already own a Tesla speak of such as body panel misalignment and paint imperfections are concerning. These are expensive vehicles. If I was purchasing a vehicle north of 50-90k I would expect cosmetics to be spot on. Imagine for example a comparable priced vehicle (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes) with these types of “off the lot” imperfections? I’m glad to hear Tesla is improving quality but I would be more understanding of drivetrain, electrical or motor issues, still unwanted, but simple body and paint failures is elementary and should be an afterthought on a premium automobile.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
As bad as I want to take delivery of my CT I am glad I’m reservation number 165,477. It should give Tesla plenty of time to work out the “bugs” on the brand new vehicle assembled in a brand new factory. The standard roll up bed cover is awesome but I can see it having issues initially thanks to the rather complex design.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
.....but I would be more understanding of drivetrain, electrical or motor issues, still unwanted, but simple body and paint failures is elementary and should be an afterthought on a premium automobile.
It is much easier to put something that is invisible together such that it is functional and safe than it is to decorate something in an aesthetically pleasing way.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said in an email to employees of the Model 3:

Precision
Most of the design tolerances of the Model 3 are already better than any other car in the world. Soon, they will all be better. This is not enough. We will keep going until the Model 3 build precision is a factor of ten better than any other car in the world. I am not kidding.
Our car needs to be designed and built with such accuracy and precision that, if an owner measures dimensions, panel gaps and flushness, and their measurements don’t match the Model 3 specs, it just means that their measuring tape is wrong.
Some parts suppliers will be unwilling or unable to achieve this level of precision. I understand that this will be considered an unreasonable request by some. That’s ok, there are lots of other car companies with much lower standards. They just can’t work with Tesla.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I can tell right now i can walk any dealer lot of any brand and find cars with imperfections. Lamborghini's, Ferrari's even. I worked down from a guy who did paint corrections on exotic cars and i would always go check out where he would mark them up with tape for fixing. Some of these vehicles had less than 30 miles on them with imperfections, Factory defects. Paint is the most difficult part of production. THIS IS WHY THE CYBER TRUCK WILL NOT BE PAINTED.