Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
The Ford Focus I had had a useful range of about 65 miles. I took a few 200 mile one way trips. It was terrible. I added about 8-10 hours to the time it took. Daily commuting was not too bad, free charging at work and only 11 miles one way so I charged ever 2-3 days.
I have never used a SC but I agree the idea is to have feeder chargers in the smaller areas but on main arteries you have to have a concentration of fast charging to make long trips possible.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I am tempted to install a charger at the end of our driveway (I have outlets there) and list it on plugshare, wasn't sure how much L2 demand there would be. We're at the end of a dead end road, 3 miles from town (and the SC installation).
You'd save someone's day who's visiting a friend and had a Leaf or something.

-Crissa

WA-CyberDriver

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Dual Motor
Country flag
I think I mentioned upthread, but I’ve had to drive 30+ miles (15+ each way) out of my way to get to a Supercharger or not get home. Less than half that distance off is an EA charging station. I’ve also had trips where I’ve had to deviate from my planned route to add a Supercharger stop.

I think most people would prefer not driving 30 miles out of the way to charge their car.

It is actually not emergency use I’m concerned with, it’s just going out of the way.
I'm sure I'm naively missing something here... but why don't you get a CCS-to-Tesla charging adapter and use the more accessible EA charging station?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm sure I'm naively missing something here... but why don't you get a CCS-to-Tesla charging adapter and use the more accessible EA charging station?

This is exactly what I would like to do.

But I am somewhat hesitant to buy a sort of gray market product which was made for the Korean market and imported through sometimes shifty channels.

Tesla should ship these in the US.

WA-CyberDriver

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Dual Motor
Country flag
This is exactly what I would like to do.

But I am somewhat hesitant to buy a sort of gray market product which was made for the Korean market and imported through sometimes shifty channels.

Tesla should ship these in the US.
He mentions that some of them ARE Telsa products. Specifically one for CCS to Tesla.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
He mentions that some of them ARE Telsa products. Specifically one for CCS to Tesla.
Yes, Tesla products, made for the Korean markets and shipped into the US through gray market importers. You cannot buy them through the Tesla store. If you buy them, you have no support or warrantee from Tesla, you aren’t even really guaranteed they aren’t knock off forgeries.

Again, why does Tesla sell these in Korea, but not the US?

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Yes, Tesla products, made for the Korean markets and shipped into the US through gray market importers. You cannot buy them through the Tesla store. If you buy them, you have no support or warrantee from Tesla, you aren’t even really guaranteed they aren’t knock off forgeries.

Again, why does Tesla sell these in Korea, but not the US?
I had to rewatch the video. The first time I watched it I got the impression Tesla WAS selling CCS1->Tesla adapters in the US. Rewatching and listening carefully, he meant they are now available to buy in the US, FROM THIRD PARTY RESELLERS.
Sponsored