Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
That hyphen is in the wrong place.

And yes, I know how the hyphen rule works for different versions of being anal retentive or being an anal-retentive reader.
Sponsored

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Very sad. Can't wait for all of the Tesla chargers to be full of slow as hell charging cars taking up all the V3 and V4 chargers... I understand this helps Tesla's mission. It does not do good things for Tesla cars and owners however. This will be a circus and it will be infuriating. All these 100KW cars will be clogging up each and every stall. Its great news for all the competition though!
Non-Tesla charging at a Tesla charger should be at 10% higher cost, that cost should then subsidize an actual Tesla's charging and lowering our rate by the same amount. :)

Yeah I would not be happy on a road trip to find a Tesla Charging station 100% full of non-tesla trickle charging at 50-100KW and I am down to 5% and forced to wait there. Maybe they could limit the amount of time a non-Tesla can charge for when the stalls are near full occupancy?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I loosely worked out that growing the network is practically self funding. (Teslas setup costs are a fraction of their competitors)

The Tesla network grows for free at the pace it is needed.

Brilliant !!!

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
The 99c/month seems like a no-brainer, since the fee can likely be recouped in just 1 charge session. I'm not sure I understand the business model, though? I guess the 99c is just a "nuisance fee" to keep out dead/inactive accounts.
99c is a good way to make sure, of all the chargers out there, that non-Tesla-owners (NTO's) use Tesla chargers almost exclusively, while there they may see how much better Tesla's are, how much faster Tesla's charge, overall creating future Tesla buyers. When you're at a charging station you can't help but look around and see/chat with other owners, get feedback, etc. Tesla owners are a pretty loyal bunch. It's all the advertising Tesla needs, and it's better than free: they're making money at it. Genius!

Green-Mario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
To be completely fair, Tesla's can use non-Tesla SCs. And at this low price I think literally everyone would have this membership. Which will grow massively year over year as more and more people get EVs. This could absolutely be a good strategy play by Tesla, but I do worry about the flood of EVs occupying Tesla chargers.

At the rate Tesla has been growing the network it likely isn't too big of a worry honestly. It will result in some locations and times being much busier and perhaps some waits, but it will get Tesla haters to be reliant on Tesla services, and it may open their eyes to the constant BS spouted by "auto journos" who are paid to bash Tesla at any chance they get. Tesla will be generating decent revenue from every single EV driver with this sorta deal. I have to imagine the $0.99 a month is just the surface of the $ to be made here. There is also the $/KWh that Tesla will generate revenue from. If Tesla could pull off making SCing free for Tesla owners subsidized by the non-Tesla crowd it would be pretty great. Lets just hope for rapid expansion at the busy and full SC locations once this rolls out. I am thinking 100+ stall charging garages at key charging points across the globe.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
nice! although im somewhat split on this decision. overall its for the best, we need more chargers for everyone, everywhere(rip chademo)

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Very sad. Can't wait for all of the Tesla chargers to be full of slow as hell charging cars taking up all the V3 and V4 chargers... I understand this helps Tesla's mission. It does not do good things for Tesla cars and owners however. This will be a circus and it will be infuriating. All these 100KW cars will be clogging up each and every stall. Its great news for all the competition though!
What I worry about is if Tesla will be able to detect (and charge $$) non-Tesla EVs that are just "camped" on the charger when the session is over. I'm already seeing this (yes even Teslas) on hotel destination chargers (Tesla and J-1772), and that could get obnoxious if they're unable to enforce it as they do with Teslas.

Ie, anyone aware if the typical information protocols will work like they with Teslas?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What I worry about is if Tesla will be able to detect (and charge $$) non-Tesla EVs that are just "camped" on the charger when the session is over. I'm already seeing this (yes even Teslas) on hotel destination chargers (Tesla and J-1772), and that could get obnoxious if they're unable to enforce it as they do with Teslas.

Ie, anyone aware if the typical information protocols will work like they with Teslas?
Why wouldn't they be?

The EVSE knows how much power the car is pulling without any 'protocols' involving the car.

Heck, these systems know when my motorcycle is charging and not charging, even when it only pulls 1.7kW peak through an adapter with no smarts.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Considering there are exactly zero Tesla chargers with CCS adaptors right now and it’s going to require Tesla physically visiting each and every station to convert them all over, I wouldn’t worry overmuch.

Solid chance this comes to new charging stations first then trickles out to the rest. So at first at least it would only happen as they are adding capacity… very likely on the governments dime since they should be able to qualify for the federal program since they will have the adaptor.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Why wouldn't they be?

The EVSE knows how much power the car is pulling without any 'protocols' involving the car.

Heck, these systems know when my motorcycle is charging and not charging, even when it only pulls 1.7kW peak through an adapter with no smarts.

-Crissa
What I meant was if they identify who us plugged in and charge the penalty $&

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
The answer is yes, it definitely knows who was plugged in and who to bill for both the usage and for any parking fees. This is simple and already being done.

Doesn't look like this is happening any time soon, at least not to let me do that Polestar rental next month. And I'd been thinking that they'd allow this via a Tesla to non-Tesla adapter, which are actually for sale and people can use them on non-Superchargers already.
Sponsored