Tesla Wall Connector (Gen 4) for Cybertruck

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
got me thinking.

Given its specs, the CT should be the goto truck for all RV owners who are pulling 3+ ton Rv's.

I'm not an expert, but came across a vid a few months back, and the basic premise was trucks are advertised at towing say 3.5 tons, but in reality, they fail other metrics such as GVM.. gross vehicle mass. Insurance will not cover.

like the old motto ' nobody ever got fired for buying IBM', buying a CT will keep you legal.
Sure, if you only tow your RV shorter distances to get to a favorite campsite or whatever the particular use case is that doesn't require extensive Interstate travel. Cybertruck can do Interstate travel with big trailers but it would come at the expense of extensive stopping at chargers. That will be acceptable to people who are not willing to give up this kind of activity but would like to do it in a less environmentally way and don't mind the extra incovenience. Most RV people wouldn't do it. At current gas/Supercharging rates the $$ savings would still be there but it wouldn't be as dramatic as the savings every EV owner who charges at home sees.

Your point is valid, but people can buy whatever truck has suitable tow ratings (once all the details are taken into account). The class of 1/2 ton pickups are generally only used to tow smaller/lighter RV's and people step up to much more expensive trucks to tow larger RV's. A Cybertruck could replace many of the heavier duty options in the ICE market in terms of safe towing, but not in terms of fuelling convenience. It's hard to beat a 1 ton ICE truck with 40-80 gallons onboard for towing a big heavy RV. I can hear the sucking sound now!
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
… Cybertruck can do Interstate travel with big trailers but it would come at the expense of extensive stopping at chargers. …
(I don’t disagree with any of your points here, just an observation your post made me think of)

I just feel compelled to point out here that the amount of stopping a 500 mile range Cybertruck will be doing is not going to be that much more than what a lot of truck owners already deal with. My old Tundra got something like 14MPG but when towing it drops to 7-10 MPG. With the 26 gallon tank, that’s an effective range of 180-260 miles or on a road trip, a fuel stop every 150-230 miles.

Pickups that get over 300 miles towing are much more expensive diesel trucks, often with extended fuel tanks. This idea that pickups commonly get most of their range while towing is just nonsense. All pickups take a large range hit when towing. Gas trucks more than diesel, but they all take a big hit to range.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If you have your own RV then you can mount it on the RV and it wouldn't take up extra time or space.

The question really is whether durable rigid pieces or a smoother inflatable would have the better ROI. Trucks go with rigid frames because they're out there in the weather almost all the time. Whereas the inflatable might be better if it's not being used constantly but instead, intermittently.

Anyhow, it's an interesting concept, I think. Whether or not it works, it's worth testing.

-Crissa
Sponsored