Tesla Wall Connector Gen 2 vs. Gen 3 ?

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I have a Gen 2 still in the box but is there any real advantage over the Gen 3? Would the Cybertruck even make use of the 80amp charger?
Sponsored

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
the only vehicles that could take advantage of the 80 amp wall connector (not a charger) would be older teslas that had an option for dual onboard chargers that can charge at 72 amps. like my 2017 Model S

OP
OP

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
the only vehicles that could take advantage of the 80 amp wall connector (not a charger) would be older teslas that had an option for dual onboard chargers that can charge at 72 amps. like my 2017 Model S
That sounds about right as my 2016 S had them and I think that was the last year, right when the refresh happened.

Cold.Truth

First Name
Big A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 CT AWD, 1987 Carerra, 2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Occupation
I.T. Project Management
Country flag
Yeah, my old 2013 Model S P85+ had dual on-board chargers and took 80 AMPS from my Gen 1 HPWC when I lived in CA. I miss having that option! My Gen 2 wall charger with my 2017 Model 3 was usually set to trickle charge at 5A because, why not, if it was overnight? But even at full power it was only 40 AMPS, I think. Now my garage is empty waiting for the CT. I might install the newer Gen 3 WiFi-enabled wall charger alongside the old one, or in its place if it is a requirement for the PowerShare. I don't know much about all that (yet).

OP
OP

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
So the Gen 2 it limited to 40Amps, even if you have 2 cars connected? No reason to have 100Amp panel in the garage?

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Also Gen2 chargers had a 24 foot cable and the gen 3 has 18 feet and i believe smart features are only in Gen 3 that you can access via the app

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
So the Gen 2 it limited to 40Amps, even if you have 2 cars connected? No reason to have 100Amp panel in the garage?
Each wall connector can charge at 48 amps if you have 2 then they would both dial themselves back to 40 amps each (80 amps is the max for a 100 amp circuit)

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Yeah, my old 2013 Model S P85+ had dual on-board chargers and took 80 AMPS from my Gen 1 HPWC when I lived in CA. I miss having that option! My Gen 2 wall charger with my 2017 Model 3 was usually set to trickle charge at 5A because, why not, if it was overnight? But even at full power it was only 40 AMPS, I think. Now my garage is empty waiting for the CT. I might install the newer Gen 3 WiFi-enabled wall charger alongside the old one, or in its place if it is a requirement for the PowerShare. I don't know much about all that (yet).
My Gen 1 wall connector is still going strong charging my Model S at 80 amps after 120,00 miles and 7 years, i will definatly miss the Gen 1 wall connector when it eventually dies :(

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I have a Gen 2 still in the box but is there any real advantage over the Gen 3? Would the Cybertruck even make use of the 80amp charger?
Same situation here as I was also hoping so.

I guess one can look at the amperage options when using a wall connector to see what the max current allowed can be? Even so, is that just being software limited or can the AC/DC converter handle a higher current after a software update? These are hopeful questions but we are likely in a reality of 48 amps being the max AC charge current.

Even with 48 amps, the Cybertruck can still recharge at home in about 8 or 9 hours to 80%.

Gen 2 can still charge certain Model X variants faster, as some of the earlier ones had AC/DC converters that could draw up to 72 amps (when wall connector is configured for a 90 or 100 amp circuit). But there is a second communications cable required if ever daisy chaining the Gen 2 wall connectors, whereas multiple Gen 3 units can be sharing the same circuit while communicating wireless without a separate communication cable needed.

The Gen 2 units will share and allocate current (totaling up to 80 amps) from a 100 amp circuit, but each car's current is limited by it's own AC/DC charging converter. But that will vary also depending on each car's state of charge. For example if you had two Model 3s charging, but one is just starting and the other closer to finishing, the first car will get more current, like the full 48 amps, but the second car might only get 32 or less amps, depending on how full the battery is, scheduled charging, etc.

If you had an earlier Model X, it might be allowed to take 72 amps for a short while until it's battery is getting some charge, while the other car gets less current. Many variations depending on the vehicle and when each vehicle started it's charging.

- ÆCIII

Last edited:

Beyond

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Austin Model Y LR, Subie Fozzie & Cybertruck day1
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The big difference would be the Universal Wall Connector as it would allow bidirectional charging/power delivery with a Cybertruck when combined with either the Tesla Gateway or Powerwall 3. Most likely also with at least some future Teslas.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I still have a slight preference for the Gen 2 due to it's more robust charge cable and bigger cable terminals but, like @Beyond says, the Gen 3 has bidirectional capability. Gen 3 also has wi-fi connectivity, but I don't see any advantage for me since the phone app has all the remote connectivity I desire.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but I really like that heavy cable on the Gen 2, it just feels good in the hand. I imagine it might shave 1/4%- 1/2% off your charging consumption, due to lower resistance, I really don't know.

I would be happy with either unless I was planning to use Cybertruck as power backup and then it's Gen 3 all the way.

Beyond

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Austin Model Y LR, Subie Fozzie & Cybertruck day1
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I still have a slight preference for the Gen 2 due to it's more robust charge cable and bigger cable terminals but, like @Beyond says, the Gen 3 has bidirectional capability. Gen 3 also has wi-fi connectivity, but I don't see any advantage for me since the phone app has all the remote connectivity I desire.
Just a point to note: AFAIK only the "Universal Wall Connector" supports Powershare, the Gen 3 does not.
You also need either the Gateway or a Powerwall 3.

• POWER YOUR HOME DURING AN OUTAGE FOR OVER THREE DAYS USING TESLA POWERSHARE TECHNOLOGY. CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR CYBERTRUCK ONLY
https://shop.tesla.com/product/universal-wall-connector

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
The Gen 2 has a SIGNIFICANTLY longer cable 6' so keep that in mind if you are close on maxing out length currently.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Just a point to note: AFAIK only the "Universal Wall Connector" supports Powershare, the Gen 3 does not.
You also need either the Gateway or a Powerwall 3.

• POWER YOUR HOME DURING AN OUTAGE FOR OVER THREE DAYS USING TESLA POWERSHARE TECHNOLOGY. CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR CYBERTRUCK ONLY
https://shop.tesla.com/product/universal-wall-connector
Keep in mind that the term "Powersharing" describes two different technologies.

1) Multiple wall connectors intelligently sharing the available power from one circuit (on one breaker). For this to work you need two wall connectors of the same generation (and they must not be the original Gen 1).

2) Home backup power. A bidirectional Wall Connector. This is currently only the Universal Wall Connector.
Sponsored