Faster Tesla Wall Connector for the Cybertruck?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I have the Gen II Wall Connector on a 100amp circuit - bring it on! :)
I am willing to bet the CT will be charging amperage limited. My reasoning is simple; Tesla has long since moved to limit charging amperage to 48 amps and 2 generations of wall Connectors limits amperage to 48 amps, so tTedka would be screwing over a much larger number of Wall Connector owners than the number they would be helping. The best thing, overall, would be to come out with a new Wall Connector. I would be screwed because we have 2 wall connectors now and they each have 60-amp breakers and we could not go larger with any degree of safety In our service.
Sponsored

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'll happily get a new Wall Charger and eat the old one if it get's me my CT sooner! :)

Haopec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P100d, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Yup I knew about that but was curious if there will be a faster option for home charging.
Seems plausible for them to bring back the older single 72AMP single charger I have on my (old) 17'MX for the CT. I do enjoy getting 45-46 mph charge speeds on my MX.

I have a Gen II charger, which back in the day could charge at 80amps on my dual charger P85.... It was awesome to get 60mph charge speed at home. I didn't need that kind of speed often (maybe 3-4 times a year), but when I did it was great to have at my disposal.

If the CT has an efficiency of ~400 watts/mile @ 48amps (current standard) that would only give you 29 MPH charge speeds, which would take 17+ Hours to fully charge a CT (on a 500 mile CT)...
My guess is they will come out with a "CT" version home charger that can deliver up to 72amps..43MPH charge rate, ~12 hrs to a full charge from empty (500 mile range) and it will look like the Cyber Backpack..
Tesla Cybertruck Faster Tesla Wall Connector for the Cybertruck? cluded-backpack-cyberbrands-steel-gray-507671_700x

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I have a first generation HPWC and with dual chargers in my S85D, so technically I can pull up to 80A through the HPWC. I dialed down the max charge rate from the car's console however because at 80A, the HPWC cable got extremely hot during use. Even dialed back to 60A, I can fully charge the S in about 5.5 hours (250 mile max charge). I know that many older houses do not have an available 100A to spare, that was a common theme when the S first came out and folks wanted to maximize the charge rate. Many people had to upgrade their breaker boxes to support a larger electrical load (and I know that did not come cheap). We have a 2022 Model Y, but we rarely charge it above 80% when we know we won't be driving long distance. My thoughts with the CT will be that I will typically only charge it to about 60-70% when I know I won't be hauling anything or going any significant distance. If you are going to use the CT to haul heavy loads around town frequently, then you will probably want to charge to 90+% at home.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Seems plausible for them to bring back the older single 72AMP single charger I have on my (old) 17'MX for the CT. I do enjoy getting 45-46 mph charge speeds on my MX.

I have a Gen II charger, which back in the day could charge at 80amps on my dual charger P85.... It was awesome to get 60mph charge speed at home. I didn't need that kind of speed often (maybe 3-4 times a year), but when I did it was great to have at my disposal.

If the CT has an efficiency of ~400 watts/mile @ 48amps (current standard) that would only give you 29 MPH charge speeds, which would take 17+ Hours to fully charge a CT (on a 500 mile CT)...
My guess is they will come out with a "CT" version home charger that can deliver up to 72amps..43MPH charge rate, ~12 hrs to a full charge from empty (500 mile range) and it will look like the Cyber Backpack..
cluded-backpack-cyberbrands-steel-gray-507671_700x.jpg
When Tesla recommends normal operation between 20% and 80%, and only to 100% before a trip, most people would never need to charge a CT all the way on a Level 2 charger. At home I rarely take my Model Y below 30%. I suspect you are not the kind of person that follows recommended usage guidelines, and your boasting about charging amperage suggests to me that you don’t care much about the security of your home. Hopefully others are smarter than that.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
If they do release an updated Wall Connector I’ll keep the current one for my wife and her Model Y and have the newer one installed on the side of the garage since the Cybertruck won’t fit in the garage.
DM me a picture of your main electrical panel. We’ve installed thousands of AC EV chargers.
its unlikely you have the capacity to run both at the same time. If there is a new charger you’ll almost certainly have to remove the original and purchase two new ones and have a 100A circuit wired in. When charging both, you will share 80 amps

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
How many people have electrical service with 100 amps of extra available capacity? VERY few I'll bet (I'm sure I'll quickly hear from a few people here who overbuilt their system. But that was probably a mistake) The electrical upgrade needed to add a significant amount of current to boost your CyberTruck connector would almost justify installing your own DC fast charger instead. There are so few people who need it that it would be rare for anyone to upgrade their Level II connector.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
If you are going to use the CT to haul heavy loads around town frequently, then you will probably want to charge to 90+% at home.
That makes no sense.

A Cybertruck charged to 70% would be fine with towing heavy loads around town frequently as long as you're keeping the daily mileage in the double digits or thereabouts and plugging it into a Wall Connector at 48 amps each evening.

Haopec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P100d, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
When Tesla recommends normal operation between 20% and 80%, and only to 100% before a trip, most people would never need to charge a CT all the way on a Level 2 charger. At home I rarely take my Model Y below 30%. I suspect you are not the kind of person that follows recommended usage guidelines, and your boasting about charging amperage suggests to me that you don’t care much about the security of your home. Hopefully others are smarter than that.
Sorry if I came off boasting, it wasn't my intent. I was simply trying to make the point that sometimes it's nice to have faster charging, and if you're planning to tow with the CT as many will, having 40-50mph charging at home doesn't seem unreasonable.
If you must know, we keep our cars at 50-70%, and I do care about the security of my home. I don't remember getting a Tesla bulletin about not running my charger at its rated capacity, but I could be wrong.

I suspect you're kind of a prick.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
How many people have electrical service with 100 amps of extra available capacity? VERY few I'll bet (I'm sure I'll quickly hear from a few people here who overbuilt their system. But that was probably a mistake) The electrical upgrade needed to add a significant amount of current to boost your CyberTruck connector would almost justify installing your own DC fast charger instead. There are so few people who need it that it would be rare for anyone to upgrade their Level II connector.
200-225A main panels are exceedingly common in newer construction and lots of 3500+ ft2 homes have dual 200s or a 400A commercial style box. Theres enough top end room for a 100A breaker in more homes than you realize BUUUT that might change over time as more and more people use electric for heat, hot water, clothes dryers, and ranges.

as far as increasing the service amperage from the street, thats expensive but a good percentage of people adding in a 60A breaker on a 100A main thats utility limited would have to spend that regardless and vs bringing in a DC pedestal, still much much more cost effective especial if service is flying in overhead
Sponsored

Last edited: