Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I will pass on a normal vehicle wrap that covers up the raw steel but I would entertain wrapping my entire CT in STEALTH (matte finish) XPEL paint protection film. This would be a great DIY project because of the flat steel panels. I would just have to find a local XPEL dealer who would be willing to sell me a roll at a slight markup?

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Wrapping Service Coming For Cybertruck? Just Launched in China 96BECCFF-6182-4A75-8010-5A37A7DCD3BE

Model S wrapped in XPEL Stealth PPF
Sponsored

Last edited:

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Dam. That looks pretty good

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I mentioned it as someone said it would not last (the vinyl).

I like the stainless steel look, but if they did a clear satin finish, I might consider that.

Maybe they make it in color, but I am not sure (since it was originally designed to protect glass, stuff people want to see through).

How to get it on a flat surface is lots of water and a VERY clean surface and hands.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
We had XPEL applied to the front end, including the headlight lenses, of my spouses new car about 2-years ago. After 32k miles (80% freeway driving) the front end still looks brand new. It's a pretty amazing urethane based protective film that has self-healing properties.

All PPF films have a thickness of around 8 mils. Here is how the XPEL film layers break down in thickness...

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Wrapping Service Coming For Cybertruck? Just Launched in China D27EB494-7E0A-4072-95CC-5D09BBDCBB07

Last edited:

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It’s nice and works pretty well. But it does scratch pretty easily. So handle with care.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
If it clear then what is the point? It’s a stainless steel body. What am I missing?
You could use a satin clear... or deep gloss clear to give the truck different texture looks.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
We had XPEL applied to the front end, including the headlight lenses, of my spouses new car about 2-years ago. After 32k miles (80% freeway driving) the front end still looks brand new. It's a pretty amazing urethane based protective film that has self-healing properties.

All PPF films have a thickness of around 8 mils. Here is how the XPEL film layers break down in thickness...

D27EB494-7E0A-4072-95CC-5D09BBDCBB07.png
We had our Model Y fully wrapped in Xpel... Hope is that is lasts a bunch of years at which point, we can remove it and have basically a new-looking vehicle still.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
A full wrap is the ultimate in paint protection! We placed our Y order in November but cancelled it so Tesla can work out the paint, fit and finish new assembly line kinks. I also wanted to wait for any new announcements on Battery Day. We will probably reorder next May or June. It will be white, white interior and 20" Induction alloys.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
A full wrap is the ultimate in paint protection! We placed our Y order in November but cancelled it so Tesla can work out the paint and fit and finish new assembly line kinks. Will probably reorder next May or June. Ordered white, white interior and 20" Induction alloys.
We only had one small paint issue which Tesla fixed promptly. We ordered on 4/20 this year and picked it up 6/20. Great car. you'll kick yourself for waiting. (maybe)

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I was thinking about the problems getting vinyl onto flat glass at the office without bubbles. It was a nightmare. I don’t know how professionals do it but I sure wouldn’t do it myself. I’ve been asking questions about wraps out of curiosity but I am more than happy with just the stainless.
It's all about the dirt. Get one spec of dust under the film and instant bubble.

David67

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Subaru Crosstrek limited
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's all about the dirt. Get one spec of dust under the film and instant bubble.
Put a mixture of dish soap and water on the surface and the film is moveable as you squeegee the water out from under the film moves to cover flat.. drys in place.

Panner

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Project manager
Country flag
A gentleman on you tube wrapped his Tesla. Can’t remember if it was a 3 or Y. Never did it before and did a great job for $700. The CT would be much easier with all the flat panels. I will be leaving mine raw. But who knows I can’t leave things alone.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Wrapping a CT would cost significantly less than wrapping a similar size SUV. Why? Because the most expensive part of shop wraps is labor. So what? Curves are the killers for wrap installers and eats up the most time. The CT has ZERO curves. It's a wrappers dream! (Oh my gosh Becky, check out that wrap guy's girlfriend! She is sooo flat!)

Also, with no curves, you can bet a DIY wrap solution is waaay more feasible, making it even more affordable to wrap it! I wrapped my M3 front end and side doors by myself with limited previous experience. It was only $500 total for 3M Pro materials. The doors were a breeze because they're practically flat. The hood, a sinch! The fenders, no biggy. The front bumper, A NIGHTMARE. See the pattern? It took me more time to do just the front bumper than to do the rest of the car combined because of the curves.

Again, not a pro but anyone can wrap the CT with those gorgeous flat panels! If you can lay wallpaper in a decent fashion, you can wrap a CT. ?

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Also, there's a big difference between applying standard vinyl to glass or a flat surface, and applying vinyl car wrap to a vehicle. If you used the cheap vinyl that everyone uses at stores on any car, it would look hideous!!

The vinyl that car wrappers use has breathable air tunnels built inside of it and it has less sticky adhesion than window vinyl. Applying a wrap is much easier in this regard than window vinyl, because you can apply and reapply to a degree without losing its ability to hold, and you can easily dry squeegee air pockets out due to the air tunnels that are built into the vinyl material.

So yeah, window vinyl is incredibly annoying and difficult to make perfect, but car vinyl is a different ball game. You get what you pay for!
Sponsored