Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Easier than prying the trunk of a standard sedan open?
Tesla describes the storage on the Cybertruck as ā€œ100 cubic feet of secureā€ storage.

Iā€™m not 100% sure, but I donā€™t think the word choice there was accidental. 3mm stainless with 2 big hinges in top and a solid digital clasp on the bottom should be quite difficult to pry open though.

I think a fair number of guns will be stored in these on hunting trips so it better be secure.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Contrary to @cvalue13's post above, my interpretation of images from Rob Mauer's video taken of the prototype on investor day, does show a "distinct possibility" of sail pillar storage. But, I think I was lucky enough to get (slightly) more detailed and clear images than @cvalue13 did, so that is likely the reason for different interpretations.
You have a level of hope that is commendable.

But while the photos I posted werenā€™t intended to be dispositive - folks can view the video (and the others from investor day) and notice for themselves the MANY obvious seams elsewhere and the complete lack of seams on the rear quarter panel line

the people who took these videos (and the ones outside of the tonneau opowning, etc.) would have noticed any such seam in person and screamed it from the mountaintops (one guy in particular - who in fact said affirmatively there was no sail storage).

I mean, I donā€™t really have a dog in this fight and I hope there is sail storage - but if so, it ainā€™t by accessing that panel

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Haha! I knew it! Itā€™s still in. No more tie downs, lug nut wrench or roadside emergency tools floating around the floorboard of the back seat.

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Well,well,well.

I was hoping to fit my 2 piece 12' fishing rod in there, and they even have the brackets ready.

fingers crossed.
if there is a glovebox perhaps you can put a pocket fisherman in it.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
This just looks like the render shown on screen at unveil in 2019

if thereā€™s any sail storage, itā€™s not that design: never been even an early prototype with a seam along that crease

and the pre-production beta
783AEBE9-3876-4091-8588-84CC5015D264.jpeg
91DF0D53-F64D-48F1-89E6-367854842E2A.jpeg
sure doesnā€™t have it
That is 100% inaccurate. The prototype at the Petersen has a very clear seem at the bottom of the panel. I can upload an image if you would like

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Contrary to @cvalue13's post above, my interpretation of images from Rob Mauer's video taken of the prototype on investor day, does show a "distinct possibility" of sail pillar storage. But, I think I was lucky enough to get (slightly) more detailed and clear images than @cvalue13 did, so that is likely the reason for different interpretations.

In my capture of the image below (notice the faint red ellipse), there is a small disconnect in the sail sheet metal and the sheet metal below it. You can especially see this at the very tip of the sail not reaching the corner of the bed which is protruding out maybe a single thickness further (click on the below image to zoom in for slightly better detail):

1679945331422.png

There are also visible differences in the sail bottom compared to the corresponding fold creases of the same body line in the doors (red ellipses). The door fold creases look different, and there appears to be a different reflection just under the sail, suggesting there might be a small gap or lap joint of some kind:

1679945807910.png

So this is what the images suggest to me, but someone who was there will obviously be able to say either way with more certainty. Best we can do is use the highest resolutions posted or available to us, and go from there.

Even if there is a separation joint at the bottom of the sail, it does not guarantee the sail is a lid for storage, but does increases the likelihood or possibility. But we're all expecting Tesla to (hopefully) give is an updated reveal with new features and details within the next few months.

- ƆCIII
Here is a close up from the prototype at the Petersen. There was definitely a black seem and it was even more obvious in person.

Tesla Cybertruck Sail Pillar Storage just featured in latest Tesla China official magazine T-Zone. Sign it'll make production? 1679955233765

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Here is a close up from the prototype at the Petersen. There was definitely a black seem and it was even more obvious in person.

1679955233765.png
yea, I remember picture of that back corner bent up

because the Peterson proto isnā€™t made out of 3mm SS

a seam joining two pieces of body I take/intend to be different from a seam on a weather-stripped joint of functional hinging panels

you wonā€™t find a single photo of a CT prototype with that sail panel open. Thereā€™s only the unveil render

ƆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
You have a level of hope that is commendable.

But while the photos I posted werenā€™t intended to be dispositive - folks can view the video (and the others from investor day) and notice for themselves the MANY obvious seams elsewhere and the complete lack of seams on the rear quarter panel line

the people who took these videos (and the ones outside of the tonneau [opening], etc.) would have noticed any such seam in person and screamed it from the mountaintops (one guy in particular - who in fact said affirmatively there was no sail storage).

I mean, I donā€™t really have a dog in this fight and I hope there is sail storage - but if so, it ainā€™t by accessing that panel
I actually am not too anxious either way, nor was I aiming to be super critical. It's not a super deal breaker for me either, because Tesla might want to put air compressors and power conversion components in the sails as far as we know, and maybe the separation is a way to service them because the tonneau cover tracks might make that more difficult from the inside. So there are many possibilities, and to me this kind of speculation is fun.

I was just trying to be thorough and had thought I'd noticed a seam in some prior imagery. Your post actually prompted and helped me to recall that imagery. I did also point out that a seam doesn't necessarily mean a panel that will open or that sail storage is verified. I was just pointing out a noticed detail.

1679955233765.png
I see the seam in your image above, but this particular image you used is of the earlier prototype version (as evidenced by the older tailgate release buttons on top), so we can't really use it as verification in speculation for latest prototypes. For this discussion, I was using imagery of later prototypes shown at investor day, which should be still current. Doesn't meant the later prototypes don't have the seam (because they likely do as the newer imagery shows). But, if nothing else, at least your image does show there was a definite seam under the sail in the earlier prototype model, so it indirectly supports the possibility of a seam still being there. Tesla had some previous imagery posting of sail storage and then later took them down, as the other thread discussing sails points out. So there's that consideration as well.

We must also remember that some other seams have changed too, quite importantly the one where the frunk opens with the vertical front as one assembly for example. These are interesting discussions that sometimes reveal a lot. That's why we're here aren't we?

- ƆCIII

Last edited:

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
yea, I remember picture of that back corner bent up

because the Peterson proto isnā€™t made out of 3mm SS

a seam joining two pieces of body I take/intend to be different from a seam on a weather-stripped joint of functional hinging panels

you wonā€™t find a single photo of a CT prototype with that sail panel open. Thereā€™s only the unveil render
so the prototype they hit with a sledge hammer wasnt 3mm stainless?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Looking at this image, it seems like itā€™s quite consistent with the partly built truck. The back wall of the storage area would line up nicely with that vertical casting on the prototype. Not really in the picture, but lots of room for storage below the bottom of the opening.

Also curious is in the concept image, it looks like there are slots which might accept various different style accessories.

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If the Cybertruck is going to be able to be used as a boat, you need storage for the trolling rods. Only thing missing now are the rod holders while trolling!

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Only 19" long folded, will fit in front center storage hopefully!
Sponsored