Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
Good point. Further, what's the longest people drive without stopping? Four hours? That's 240 miles at an average of 60mph... 280 miles at 70mph... Now, I've driven 27 hours in one sitting but I stopped for diesel several times and I stopped in the middle of nowhere and took a 15 minute nap. But, that's an extreme example, I would guess.

Still, we don't really need the 700 miles of range but we need the energy for when we haul our campers! That 700 miles of range won't last very long pulling a heavy trailer (as you know). I can't stop every two hours to charge for 30 minutes when I'm heading to see family... it's already 3 days of driving as is and that kills vacation time fast. Flying a family of 5 gets expensive as well and we like driving through the countryside.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Like I said, if you don’t own a Tesla, You don’t know what your talking about.
So you totally showed me with your... (checks post) no actual details contradicting me.

Please, inform me. I can only go off what I've read from other drivers.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
the increased range would also really help with V2G charging if Teslas are compatible with that in the future. that way you could have your battery maintain enough charge for any driving you would normally need, let the rest of it give or take from the grid, and you could turn off V2G charging before going on any long drives.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the increased range would also really help with V2G
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping, and others have suggested why Tesla has stayed back from V2G so far. Then it can be doing two things, not just a vehicle, but a backup battery. Tesla Walls already support this functionality! They even know when bad weather is approaching and set to fill automatically.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping, and others have suggested why Tesla has stayed back from V2G so far. Then it can be doing two things, not just a vehicle, but a backup battery. Tesla Walls already support this functionality! They even know when bad weather is approaching and set to fill automatically.

-Crissa
Supposedly Tesla's software for buying and selling energy is VERY advanced. In one interview, someone was talking about how it discharged most of the capacity at a smaller price than it had been getting, as it had predicted a point coming up where they (battery owner) would be paid to take energy from the grid... and the software predicted it, sold energy to the grid so the battery would have the capacity to accept the power from the grid later when they would be paid to take it... making money on taking it from the grid... then making money later on selling it back to the grid...

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I think a 700 mile battery may just never be realistic. My thought is that yes it can be done but at a cost of an unneeded amount of money and weight. The *main* factor might be the longevity of the vehicle vs the battery. Think about a battery pack that can drive 700 miles and support 2000 cycles. That equates to 1.4 million miles.... Realistically there will be some degradation of the battery pack of say 20% loss by the 2000th cycle. So averaged out and being generous, lets say the battery pack lasts 1.2 million miles and is considered dead/expired once it reaches 20% loss of capacity. Having a battery pack that outlives its vehicle by a wide margin just does not make financial sense. If we start to see battery packs that can handle 4000 cycles for example (near future?) the scenario becomes even far worse. Yes, the batteries can be pulled and reused once they reach end of life (Example: PowerWall) but in reality are they even going to be worth anything 25-50-100 years later as the technology of batteries advance?

In fact, I pre-ordered the Tri-Model Cybertruck specifically because in theory the battery should cover 2x the millage as the single motor version before expiring. The thought behind it was I didn't need to worry about ever replacing it. While the battery cost might come down in price in the future, you can rest assure that the labor costs of replacing it wont. Of course, the extra performance is cool too. Also hoping V2G becomes a reality with a Tesla as well and the extra capacity could be utilized. =P

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
One thing the 700 mile range would provide for is better options to spend less but still get 500 miles. :)

I think a modular battery pack for longer trips is an interesting idea. I don't like the idea of them being pulled behind or part of a trailer, but having a pack that can be put in the back and hooked to the vehicle for extended range is a cool idea. Or, maybe the pack is always there but acts like a secondary fuel tank on a pickup now... only charge when needed. It provides for faster charges for everyday use (smaller pack) and an option to use for trips.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't like the idea of them being pulled behind or part of a trailer, but having a pack that can be put in the back and hooked to the vehicle for extended range is a cool idea.
Well, if you can put them in the back, then it doesn't matter where they are, and you can put them where it works best for your load. Like the solar panels on a trailer, for instance. Having them in a trailer also means easily not carting them around when you don't need them, and powering your camp while you're off doing truck things,

Or, maybe the pack is always there but acts like a secondary fuel tank on a pickup now... only charge when needed. It provides for faster charges for everyday use (smaller pack) and an option to use for trips.
You kinda hafta cycle the charge in lithium packs every three to six months anyhow. And they're always heavy. They store well if put away at 60% charge, they don't even care about being in freezing temps as long as you're nit trying to use them (they need to be brought back to room temperature to charge or use). They take damage if stored with a lower charge for an extended time.

-Crissa

isync

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ct
Country flag
oh yeah - range is the king for sure, or should we say the battery capacity (KWh) is the king?

people who argue they don't meed 700mile battery are keeping the sedan/daily commute mentality in mind. But it won't cut for CT. I want a TRUCK, a work horse, a daily commute, and (whatever you can do with it). Or else I will just get a nissan leaf.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For the most part, I expect my trips with my truck to be about twenty miles. I only need enough range to get between superchargers for road trips.

There's one trip I make regularly into the desert that's 120 miles from the supercharger, so I'd need 250 miles of range under load, or an alternative charging point. But give me solar, and I'd be fine.

My biggest point is that the option needs to exist to be short range and cheap for the lowest common denominator driver to be able to use EV.

-Crissa

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
I would welcome all the range possible. I could drive from Southern Arizona to Southern California and never have to charge during the trip, or better charge in Arizona before entering California and only needing a small amount of charge in California to get back over the border in Arizona to charge. Arizona has much lower electricity rates compared to California. I don't know if this shows when charging at a supercharger though between the two states?

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Teslas normally use between 240 and 320 depending upon weather and speed. But the Semi is expected to us between 1000 and 1500 per mile, so a fully laden Cybertruck might pull 700 wh/mi in a pinch.

-Crissa

Like I said, if you don’t own a Tesla, You don’t know what your talking about.
Just because you can buy a car doesn't mean you actually know how it works. The fact that you even made this comment makes you sound extremely ignorant.

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
How about of those millions of apartment and condo dwellers who can't have a charger where they live! So many are simply able to charge up at home. Not us!
A lot of apartments are actually starting to offer charging stations.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Having a battery pack that outlives its vehicle by a wide margin just does not make financial sense.
This is that apparently it does make financial sense as the batteries can be reused in static storage systems. Large static storage systems are the missing piece in the totally renewable energy picture.

Yes, the batteries can be pulled and reused once they reach end of life (Example: PowerWall) but in reality are they even going to be worth anything 25-50-100 years later as the technology of batteries advance?
That we shall see. If the time comes when the metals in them are worth more as scrap than they are as batteries then they will be scrapped and the metals reused in a new battery.

While the battery cost might come down in price in the future, you can rest assure that the labor costs of replacing it wont.
Probably not as the labor costs are pretty minimal. Those battery packs can be changed out in less time than it takes to put gas in your car. Tesla experimented with this and NIO is offering it as a service now or will be doing so soon,

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
We don’t have that many Islands in Canada look as far east in the country as you can. There you will discover the Island.
that one out east is the only one that fits the bill in this discussion.....
Sponsored