Deckard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Spinner
Occupation
Special bounty hunter
Country flag
Just as with the Ford stunt of an F-150 pulling a train over a million pounds, this video confirms what I picked up on with the Cybtrtrk pulling the F-150 video played during the reveal, mainly only the rear wheels of the F-150 were spinning forward, hence only RWD. The Cybrtrk being an EV, it will clearly have enough torque to pull excessive weight. The real question should be what max weight can it tow for how long / distance and at what cost to the battery charge.

Sponsored

BadgerCooperative

Banned
Banned
First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor AWD wartHog
Occupation
Why?
No, it was not a stunt.

Elon immediately agreed to a re-match request, pull on Ford's terms.

Ford CEOs declined his offer. How much stunt was there? ZERO. Done.

stumby

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P90D
Country flag
I could have done without that tow comparison being featured during the reveal. Felt unprofessional to me. The Cybertruck's stats they flashed on screen spoke for themselves without needing to directly troll a fellow manufacturer... especially since the true fair apples to apples test will be the Cybertruck vs the electric F-150.

BadgerCooperative

Banned
Banned
First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor AWD wartHog
Occupation
Why?
"Built Ford TOUGH", except when it comes to tests of power.

People would ask for it, so he did it.

Schuyler

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado Duramax, Cadillac VSport, C7 Corvette
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So what? It doesn't matter. Nobody is going to buy or not buy a Cybertruck based on a 10 second video.

BadgerCooperative

Banned
Banned
First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor AWD wartHog
Occupation
Why?
No, here is where MOST of the planet is WAY outside the Musk thinking box; NOBODY has an electric pick up truck, AWD, 690HP.

It's NOT a stunt.

If YOUR company doesn't have a competitive vehicle, to BRING to the table, IS IT A STUNT? Hell no. You're a loser from the get go, period. That's Elon's perspective and THE ultimate truth of it all.

STOP listening to BS 1995-thinking people, it's not where we are today, it is NOT where Tesla is today.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
No, here is where MOST of the planet is WAY outside the Musk thinking box; NOBODY has an electric pick up truck, AWD, 690HP.
Calm down. Tesla doesn't have one either, you know that, right? By the time they do, several other EV trucks will be available, with so far unannounced specs.

It is not a production vehicle, and it was unnecessary. Ergo, we believe it is a publicity stunt. Not meaningful. That's all.

FranzFASTBALL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang, 2010 Ford Flex
Country flag
There isn't one tug of war truck video that isn't a "stunt." The whole thing is meant to be shown as a test of strength when all it really ever is, is a test of traction. I don't fault Tesla for showing the video as I think it's a metaphor for how they feel the Cybertruck stacks up to the competition, they weren't worried about it being fair just that it actually represented the trucks superiority to the current class sales leader.

If I were Tesla I'd absolutely redo the stunt, since it's more free publicity, "thanks Ford." If Tesla is really ambitious maybe they could try the 2wd version vs a Ford 4x4, but regardless when they do it will keep people talking about the Cybertruck and the end result will be more preorders.

atebit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 M3 LR, 2019 Tundra
Country flag
I would’ve rather seen them pull a 7.5GVWR dump trailer filled to near rated capacity up a steep winding road for a few miles while watching the remaining mileage in an inset.

ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
Just as with the Ford stunt of an F-150 pulling a train over a million pounds, this video confirms what I picked up on with the Cybtrtrk pulling the F-150 video played during the reveal, mainly only the rear wheels of the F-150 were spinning forward, hence only RWD. The Cybrtrk being an EV, it will clearly have enough torque to pull excessive weight. The real question should be what max weight can it tow for how long / distance and at what cost to the battery charge.

Thanks for posting that. Interesting to learn about the physics of towing etc. Engineering Explained always has good content.

chphilo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), Tundra
Country flag
People on different forums repost this video. I think he's just wrong. I think he misunderstood kinetic friction with static friction. Kinetic friction (which is proportional to the weight of the vehicle) is not what pulls the vehicle. It's static friction. Static friction is not proportional to the weight of the vehicle (even though the maximum value is). Here, the torque of the vehicle, among other factors, and especially how quickly that torque is applied to the ground will play an important factor. I think people at Ford understand that which led them to back away from the rematch.

I do agree that they should've used 4x4. But then again, 4x4 is not exactly apple to apple with AWD either.

chphilo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), Tundra
Country flag
One more point, I am glad that Tesla did show this video from marketing point of view. Marketing is not exactly fair reporting. I am from the truck world and there is a bias in that world that considers any electric/hybrid vehicles as weak and not up to the task. If anything, this helps to dispel that myth.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Would Ford do the same thing if the opposite was true? Top Gear would do this test to prove Tesla is weaker.

Jimstan65

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, F350, TCT TRI MOTOR
Occupation
Professional Consumer
Country flag
The fact it can drag a 5000 Lb ~Ford 150 sled with it’s wheels spinning up an incline is incredible . I have faith it will pull my 4000 lb boat , even with the boat trailers wheels locked, cuz ya never know . . Good enough for me .
Sponsored