Tesla's NEW 4680 Battery Destroys Solid State Battery Competition - Very Good News for the CyberTruck!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Ford has their range with a 1k payload. So, the real world should be pretty accurate without the 1k payload. Unless your family is like mine.. My brothers and I are easily than 1k...
I agree to take all with a grain of salt and estimate 20% as a buffer.
What Ford says and what Ford delivers could be quite different. That said, a 20% buffer should be the starting point.

OP
OP
Richard V.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do you own a Tesla? or have you ever owned an electric vehicle?
If so, you should know that 610 Range (EPA est.) is not 610 REAL RANGE!
I have big doubts you will drive from San Francisco to San Diego with no AC, with the speed of 50mph or whatever it is when it is tested for "EPA est."
Also, I highly doubt you will charge your battery all the way up to 100% and drain it to almost 0%.
As for me, I always read EPA est. range as minus 20% for the real world. So, FOR ME it is around 450mi usable range even if the Tesla site would say 610mi EPA est.

Therefore I preordered tri-motor CT knowing I will never tow anything and do not think I will use a payload of more than 1000 pounds.

P.S. Nothing personal!
I never questioned the 619 miles range posted on the YouTube video. This is just a choice of making a battery pack big enough for it. Yes, battery size and weight are limitations to the CT that engineers must consider, but going from 500 miles to 600+ miles is just a matter of choice by Tesla. The weight to power ratio for the 4680 may allow for it. With the stroke of a pen engineers can in facts change all that very quickly.

Edit: An AI travel simulation program could be ran to optimize the possible number of destinations in the US and perhaps Canada to allows for the best battery pack size for travels in these range types.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5322

I never questioned the 619 miles range posted on the YouTube video. This is just a choice of making a battery pack big enough for it. Yes size and weight are limitations, but going from 500 miles to 600+ miles is just a matter of choice by Tesla.
You did not get it. My point was to show that even if tesla says 610 mi CT there is no way to get from SF to SD without no adding some juice.
BTW, I have big hopes for SSB. It is a new technology that must be developed! It is just on the "born level". In 10-20 years I think SSB will be the only batteries used for vehicles, boats, VTOLs, and so on...
4680 is a temporary solution that will work ASAP, but eventually have to be replaced with SSB.
Don't bash me hard, it is just my humble opinion...

OP
OP
Richard V.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You did not get it. My point was to show that even if tesla says 610 mi CT there is no way to get from SF to SD without no adding some juice.
BTW, I have big hopes for SSB. It is a new technology that must be developed! It is just on the "born level". In 10-20 years I think SSB will be the only batteries used for vehicles, boats, VTOLs, and so on...
4680 is a temporary solution that will work ASAP, but eventually have to be replaced with SSB.
Don't bash me hard, it is just my humble opinion...
In 20 years from now I might be dead (I am 61). So for me the 4680 is the current best solution. Not some SSB dream. Yes, batteries are work in progress and they will evolve, but as Elon as said so many times production is hell. I am not bashing, I am clarifying. I am trying to be as accurate as possible by respect of members reading my comments.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
According to the video, the 4680 battery can go 619 miles, which is enough to go from Portland Oregon to Washington DC... I'm skeptical that the trip is less than 619 miles...?. Much less than the "4680 battery can go 619 miles".... Much of the info is soundbites that sounds good, but not really relevant or correctly applied to the examples given.

Basically, a hype video with questionable or mistaken claims.
I got kind of bored and quit Sometime after the weird Portland—> DC example because it was as you suggest all hype and nothing new.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If you look at the patent Tesla applied for that shows the display screen it showed the Cybertruck with a 610 mile range. If they are able to achieve that type of range that will be a game changer.
This won’t be a game changer, the Supercharger network is already the game changer. My Tesla Model Y travels far enough on a charge where I want to get out and take a quick break regardless, it has 300 miles range. With a supercharger, it can get me to the next pee stop/ food stop with range to spare. That’s all that matters most of the time.

The 500 mile range will be quite nice. But more of an incremental improvement.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Portland (Maine) to DC is less than 600 miles...

When they deliver it, then I will believe it.
That includes Tesla with 4680 batteries.

Now, I am hoping that is in the next 6-12 months, but we will see...

OP
OP
Richard V.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Portland (Maine) to DC is less than 600 miles...

When they deliver it, then I will believe it.
That includes Tesla with 4680 batteries.

Now, I am hoping that is in the next 6-12 months, but we will see...
Two more weeks before they confirm any numbers...

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Ford has their range with a 1k payload. So, the real world should be pretty accurate without the 1k payload. Unless your family is like mine.. My brothers and I are easily than 1k...
I agree to take all with a grain of salt and estimate 20% as a buffer.

And that will be false.

Ford is playing games with the range by claiming it's with 1000 lbs. in the bed. Here's why:

The Lightning doesn't have adjustable suspension. That means it will ride bed high, when empty, like my 2010 F-150 does. My truck gets worse mileage with an empty bed than it does with a load in it. That's because riding bed high creates a low pressure area under the truck which increases drag at freeway speeds dramatically. Putting a load in the bed levels the truck and increases range due to considerably better aerodynamics. When Ford claims the Lightning's range is 300 miles with 1000 lbs. in the bed, they want you to think it will be even farther empty. Sadly, that will not be the case.

The Cybertruck does not have this issue because Tesla wisely decided to have fully adjustable suspension so it can self-level for maximum range, empty or loaded. As many of you know, it can also lower it's height on the freeway to further extend range far beyond anything the Lightning can even dream of.

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
Maybe they meant Portland, Maine? which is like 600 miles...

???

According to the video, the 4680 battery can go 619 miles, which is enough to go from Portland Oregon to Washington DC... I'm skeptical that the trip is less than 619 miles...?. Much less than the "4680 battery can go 619 miles".... Much of the info is soundbites that sounds good, but not really relevant or correctly applied to the examples given.

Basically, a hype video with questionable or mistaken claims.

A.W.Jelfs

First Name
Asa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
HQ gts 350 monaro Ht gts 307 monaro
Occupation
retired investor
Country flag
Hi all, lets not forget the weight being saved by the structural rigidity of the new 4680 battery. The top of the battery is now the floor of the vehicle.
A second layer of metal and a rigid frame is not needed.
I think the 4680 battery is quite a big step forwards and the other EV car manufactures will be even further behind.
Have a nice Day.