Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
One big thing I notice is noise when accelerating, passing, or going up steep climbs is not a thing. You get wind noise, but no vibrations/ engine noise at all.

When I’m not paying attention and have the music up… 85MPH just sort of happens.
Yeah, that's how I almost rear-ended a truck on my first trip up I-17 from Phoenix to Prescott. There's a very steep section where trucks go super slow (gravity) and even junky/econo cars are slowed by it. Some basic cars can't keep up when full of people. So there's always some back and forth to get in the passing lane and get around the slow people who hog it. I'm behind a truck, see my space between two cars coming, and I floor it to allow time for downshifting, revving, and the engine to catch up. Yeah no, it's like the hill is not there and the car just rockets.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, that's how I almost rear-ended a truck on my first trip up I-17 from Phoenix to Prescott. There's a very steep section where trucks go super slow (gravity) and even junky/econo cars are slowed by it. Some basic cars can't keep up when full of people. So there's always some back and forth to get in the passing lane and get around the slow people who hog it. I'm behind a truck, see my space between two cars coming, and I floor it to allow time for downshifting, revving, and the engine to catch up. Yeah no, it's like the hill is not there and the car just rockets.
I remember caravanning with the souped up truck guys in the spelunking club and they'd race up the hill where my Civic I'd set the gear and speed right and I'd stick to a speed so I wouldn't slow down and then they'd rocket past...
...then on the downhill I'd go to neutral and fly past them with gravity.

Once got to 120 on 17 to Phoenix.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
120 coasting in a Civic has got to be a wild ride. When you're coasting, the speed feels even faster. Any time I coast over 100mph, the wife starts yelling. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, I’ve owned fast-ish cars before but the lag and difference in perceived effort is huge.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
That's a completely justifiable way of purchasing after seeing the vehicles on the road for a few years and people writing reviews, posting videos, etc.

I'm mainly concerned with being an early adopter to a largely unproven product. Tesla is proven, but building a truck that proves to stand the test of time isn't something we'll know until several years of the CTs being on and off the road.

Unless Tesla comes out with some secret footage of testing the truck in freezing, dusty, belly-pan/structural pack bouncing, blistering, dry rotting, suspension pounding , alignment challenging, sidewall blowing, off road conditions (regular truck stuff) for the last couple years I'd feel a lot better about buying it if I could walk around it and kick the tires a little lol.
Then don't buy it, or take a leap of faith.. Cause test drives from the manufacturer are a pipe dream.

As far as long term durability. Another leap of faith. They treading water just trying to finish design and start production. Even f series trucks had long term body issues from being used until the rust falls off the bones. I expect the CT to last as long if not longer and have less rust spots. Probably same amount of dents.

Everything else on the truck like interior has been durability tested for years in the few million production test vehicles already on the road.

Last edited:

CyberSleuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hot Wheels 1:10 Cybertruck
Country flag
Now that we have the Nov 30th delivery event, anyone want to make new predictions on test drive availability?

SlightlySinged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GX470
Country flag
I know when we picked up our model 3 in July 2018, there we're really no test drives available for the car at all. Tesla let us test drive a model S to give us a feel of driving an EV, but that was it. I doubt they will have extra units for test driving for quite a while, which is unfortunate since I am a bit concerned about what the visibility will be out the back and sides.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
"There are 236 Tesla dealers in the United States as of September 26, 2023. The state with the most number of Tesla locations in the US is California, with 61 dealers, which is about 26% of all Tesla dealers in the US."

Estimated production 2024, 100,000 to 150,000

Telsla can make 100,000+ apologies, or distribute 236 Trucks and improve everything.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
"There are 236 Tesla dealers in the United States as of September 26, 2023. The state with the most number of Tesla locations in the US is California, with 61 dealers, which is about 26% of all Tesla dealers in the US."

Estimated production 2024, 100,000 to 150,000

Telsla can make 100,000+ apologies, or distribute 236 Trucks and improve everything.
True, HOWEVER...

If you think the pre-order line is long at 2M+, give people a chance to drive it for free and watch the line...

Tesla: "Mr Pie, we have good news! Your CyberTruck test drive is scheduled for July 12th, 2057. See you then!"
Sponsored