Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I was disappointed. I’d much rather charge at the campground rather than having to find a local supercharger then leaving the family to go charge
Then we need to find a good load sharing smart splitter.

loki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The Ford F-150 with Powerboost is amazing for the trailer set up. You get all the torque you need from the electric side (570 lb-ft). 27 gallon tank to go the distance. 7.2 kW plug in power in bed with 30 Amp connection. Tow mirrors.. The back seat is also roomier than the Cybertruck. It’s why I’m also keeping that around.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I was disappointed. I’d much rather charge at the campground rather than having to find a local supercharger then leaving the family to go charge
If campground power post only has one 220/240VAC outlet, connecting the Cybertruck first and RV into Cybertruck is inefficient (AC to DC, Cybertruck inverter back to AC to power RV), stresses Cybertruck electrical system, and also means if you need to make a trip in Cybertruck you need to unplug both Cybertruck & RV.

A better solution might be to have an electrician make you a small portable 2-socket panel box that you has plug into the campground power. This portable box would allow both Cybertruck & RV to get power directly from campground power. You might have to lower Cybertruck charge rate (lower amps) and/or RV power usage (use only one AC) to keep total power usage within rating of campground power post.

OP
OP
ButterEV

ButterEV

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The Ford F-150 with Powerboost is amazing for the trailer set up. You get all the torque you need from the electric side (570 lb-ft). 27 gallon tank to go the distance. 7.2 kW plug in power in bed with 30 Amp connection. Tow mirrors.. The back seat is also roomier than the Cybertruck. It’s why I’m also keeping that around.
Nice!

OP
OP
ButterEV

ButterEV

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
If campground power post only has one 220/240VAC outlet, connecting the Cybertruck first and RV into Cybertruck is inefficient (AC to DC, Cybertruck inverter back to AC to power RV), stresses Cybertruck electrical system, and also means if you need to make a trip in Cybertruck you need to unplug both Cybertruck & RV.

A better solution might be to have an electrician make you a small portable 2-socket panel box that you has plug into the campground power. This portable box would allow both Cybertruvck & RV to get power directly from campground power. You might have to lower Cybertruck charge rate (lower amps) to keep total power usage with rating of campground power post.
I like this idea. When the electrician comes out to install PowerShare setup at my home I’ll inquire about this 2-socket box.

I appreciate you watching my video and providing me this feedback!

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

A better solution might be to have an electrician make you a small portable 2-socket panel box that you has plug into the campground power. This portable box would allow both Cybertruck & RV to get power directly from campground power. You might have to lower Cybertruck charge rate (lower amps) and/or RV power usage (use only one AC) to keep total power usage within rating of campground power post.
A slight variation for 2-output portable box is to have 1-socket output for RV and the 2nd output be an actual hard-wired Tesla Wall charger gen 2/3. This would mean you don't have to constantly use your Tesla mobile charger. The wall charger might be a little more power efficient, save charger config settings, and allow better remote monitoring of charging.

When not in use you might be able to store this 2-output portable box in RV or maybe have a built-in/flip/dropdown covered panel/case under RV.

Last edited:

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag

Spot on about stressing the CT more than necessary. Having a splitter box is absolutely what should be done. De-rate the CT during the day, and maybe bump it up at night when you are sleeping to get the best of both worlds.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Then we need to find a good load sharing smart splitter.
It would be easier/less expensive to just install a 240V outlet on the camper and then charge the Cybertruck from there. I would probably install a 20 amp 240V outlet so I would still have 30 amps for the camper but if the camper had low power needs, you could install a 30 amp 240V outlet for charging.

OP
OP
ButterEV

ButterEV

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
It would be easier/less expensive to just install a 240V outlet on the camper and then charge the Cybertruck from there. I would probably install a 20 amp 240V outlet so I would still have 30 amps for the camper but if the camper had low power needs, you could install a 30 amp 240V outlet for charging.
This is also a great idea. I’ll ask the electrician about this option as well. Thanks

schmo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
At the RV parks I've been to, they usually don't mind if I plug into a free post for a while to charge the Tesla.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
I heard somewhere that Tesla can fix this issue with a software update. They might have turned it off for safety reasons.

If the Campsite has both 30 amps and 50amps outlet, we can use 30 amps for Trailer and 50 amps to charge CT, correct? It’ll overload the campsite grid for sure. I don’t know whether they even allow that. Most of the campsites I go have both 30amps and 50amps.

Charging the trailer through CT might limit the activities you can do while camping. Your CT is pretty much grounded unless you are ok to move around the cables every time you take out CT. The only time I would power my trailer while charging CT would be in a pull through super charger.
Sponsored