The Cyber Truck may pay for itself.

Marcia Litsinger

First Name
Marcia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Kia Nero hybrid, Cadillac Escalade.
Occupation
farmer
Country flag
So much depends on location. If I put my house onto the grid with solar, there is no coal generation in Oregon anymore. I suspect California is the same.

It would displace some natural gas production which is good.

Lots of good reasons to go home solar regardless, but eliminating coal isn't on the menu here.
It is here in Nevada. Don't mean to be contrary but I just listened to a broadcast ,the CEO of Ford admitted their plant runs on coal.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It is here in Nevada. Don't mean to be contrary but I just listened to a broadcast ,the CEO of Ford admitted their plant runs on coal.
... that's kind of my point. It *depends* on location. In Nevada you do offset coal. In Oregon you do not.

Also, steel production uses massive amounts of coal directly. Nothing you do with solar panels at your home is going to change that. (there are efforts to make solar coal plants though)

Deleted member 3316

Everyone knows that this picture of a Tesla Power Wall that comes with a Tesla solar roof.

But, did you know Tesla is now a Virtual Power company in California, and that it buys and sells electricity to power companies at peak demand when power can sell for 10 times normal? The new kicker is that Tesla now has computer system that will seamlessly connect and uses the power from these Tesla power walls under contract with owners, paying them for the energy stored and used during peak demand.

So What! What has that to do with a CyberTruck? Well I will tell you.

Without even having a solar roof, a Cybertruck will be able to be wired into your home charging system or a charging station and be able to be connected to the Tesla Virtual Power Grid. I don’t know the financial agreement that Tesla will make to get access to your Cybertruck battery……..But I do know a Tri-motor 500 mile battery is 10 times larger that a single 13.5 kWh power wall. In some states Power Wall owners are making a couple of grand a year selling directly back to power companies during peak demand.

When you get you new Cybertruck it looks like you may also have a new source of income and be a member of what may end up being one of the largest power companies in the World.

Happy Days are here again.?

BFACDBCB-22CD-4C2E-A7DB-BEFE128D0BAE.jpeg
Both Elon and JB Straubel (when he worked at Tesla) stated that V2G is unlikely in Tesla vehicles because they want to prioritise vehicle experience over functionality as a power source. The cost/benefit of changing the battery chemistry to accommodate both is too much of a compromise.

That being said if the Autobidder software is advanced enough it’s possible that when using hundreds of thousands of vehicles on a grid they could get significant arbitrage and grid stability benefits from a fractional percentage of each 100kWh battery. If enough vehicle batteries are connected the disadvantage of the vehicle architecture could be irrelevant…

One of the main advantages of using a vehicle battery in the grid is that fact that it will disconnect from the grid at very short notice. And although it’s a low probability if they are used for grid stability, a “perfect storm” could bring down the grid. System reliability and stability will be an issue if consumer products are used for commercial purposes. Coordinating people’s lives is problematic.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
... that's kind of my point. It *depends* on location. In Nevada you do offset coal. In Oregon you do not.

Also, steel production uses massive amounts of coal directly. Nothing you do with solar panels at your home is going to change that. (there are efforts to make solar coal plants though)
---------------

The world’s first fossil-free steel ready for delivery
Work on the pilot plant began in 2018 at the SSAB site in Luleå, Sweden, where engineers tested the direct reduction of iron ore to make Direct Reduced Iron (DRI), also called sponge iron. SSAB has now produced the world’s first fossil-free (no coal/coke) steel and delivered it to a customer. The trial delivery is an important step on the way to a completely fossil-free value chain for iron- and steelmaking and a milestone in the HYBRIT partnership between SSAB, LKAB and Vattenfall.
August 18, 2021
https://www.ssab.com/news/2021/08/the-worlds-first-fossilfree-steel-ready-for-delivery

---------------

Volvo Cars is first car maker to explore fossil-free steel with SSAB
Jun 16, 2021 ID: 282789
https://www.media.volvocars.com/glo...-maker-to-explore-fossil-free-steel-with-ssab

---------------

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Crissa, If you had solar powered system on your home it makes no difference if the power goes down.
Solar doesn't produce at night, when my story was.

(It also doesn't produce when you live on the north side of a hill under the redwood canopy.)

More importantly, solar plus batteries would cost more than the truck I want. And I can afford one or the other.

You need batteries to offset coal in Nevada, not solar. They're down to using coal only seasonally, and because they need base load power at night.

-Crissa

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Where is this article from? Could you please add in the URL? Author, title?

-Crissa
i did….it is in the quarterly report notation.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
If the Yellowstone volcano blows we're all kind of screwed. But... being inside a Cybertruck with solar will greatly enhance your chances of survival.
Wouldn’t we all like to read Elon’s design brief for his apocalypse machine!

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
You did where, please?

-Crissa
4680 Battery Update: This is Obviously still the biggest bottleneck in Cybertruck production.

“The 4680 battery cell was unveiled at Tesla’s Battery Day in September 2020.

The automaker presented several new pieces of technology that combined together result in a more energy-dense cell that could reduce costs by 50%.

One of the most significant improvements that 4680 cells bring to the table is the ability to build a structural battery pack that makes the pack part of the vehicle structure – reducing parts, weight, and cost.

Tesla has been running a pilot factory for the new battery cell in Fremont where CEO Elon Musk has been guiding reaching a production capacity of 10 GWh by the end of 2021.

Today, with the release of its Q2 2021 financial results, Tesla released a rare update about its progress toward that goal:

We have successfully validated performance and lifetime of our 4680 cells produced at our Kato facility in California. We are nearing the end of manufacturing validation at Kato: field quality and yield are at viable levels and our focus is now on improving the 10% of manufacturing processes that currently bottleneck production output. While substantial progress has been made, we still have work ahead of us before we can achieve volume production. Internal crash testing of our structural pack architecture with a single-piece front casting has been successful.
In short, Tesla managed to get some progress done, but they still have more work to do before achieving any volume production.

The 4680 battery cell is expected to power several of Tesla’s upcoming new vehicle programs, including Tesla Semi and Model Y, produced at Gigafactory Texas and Berlin.

Once Tesla has figured production at the Kato facility, it is expected to deploy high volume 4680 battery cell capacity at those new factories under construction.

Tesla has previously disclosed 4680 battery production goals of 100 GWh by 2023 and 3,000 GWh by 2030.”

there.....

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
---------------

The world’s first fossil-free steel ready for delivery
Work on the pilot plant began in 2018 at the SSAB site in Luleå, Sweden, where engineers tested the direct reduction of iron ore to make Direct Reduced Iron (DRI), also called sponge iron. SSAB has now produced the world’s first fossil-free (no coal/coke) steel and delivered it to a customer. The trial delivery is an important step on the way to a completely fossil-free value chain for iron- and steelmaking and a milestone in the HYBRIT partnership between SSAB, LKAB and Vattenfall.
August 18, 2021
If the oxidized iron was not reduced by carbon it had to be reduced by something else.

In July, SSAB Oxelösund rolled the first steel produced using HYBRIT technology, i.e., reduced by 100% fossil-free hydrogen instead of coal and coke, with good results.
Hydrogen is indeed the ultimate reducing agent but where does one get fossil-free hydrogen? Most of the world's hydrogen in fact comes from fossil. it is possible to obtain fossil free hydrogen if one has fossil free electricity but the process is quite energy inefficient. This is basically what has killed the notion of hydrogen cars.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
If the oxidized iron was not reduced by carbon it had to be reduced by something else.

Hydrogen is indeed the ultimate reducing agent but where does one get fossil-free hydrogen? Most of the world's hydrogen in fact comes from fossil. it is possible to obtain fossil free hydrogen if one has fossil free electricity but the process is quite energy inefficient. This is basically what has killed the notion of hydrogen cars.
-------------------------

Yes, need green hydrogen. SSAB is not ignoring the green hydrogen piece they are not finished yet. They are working on the production of green hydrogen too as are others. SSAB current accomplishment was the steel production piece of the puzzle that had never been done at that scale before.

This use of green hydrogen is much easier than using green hydrogen in transportation system since you do not need to distribute the hydrogen all over the place.

-------------------------

SSAB has launched an extensive research project in Finland to replace fossil fuels with renewable energy in steelmaking
SSAB has launched an extensive research project, FFS – Towards Fossil-free Steel, in Finland. In the project, SSAB will work together with industrial and research partners to explore different solutions and alternatives to produce fossil-free steel and thus the ways to withdraw entirely from the use fossil energy.
July 15, 2021
https://www.ssab.com/news/2021/07/s...and-to-replace-fossil-fuels-with-renewable-en
blast-furnace-based steelmaking, will be replaced by electric arc furnace technology using direct reduced iron, or sponge iron, obtained using green hydrogen.

The Towards Fossil-free Steel research project now launched supports SSAB’s strategic goal of gradually transitioning towards fossil-free steelmaking by mapping the solutions and alternatives to replace fossil fuels with renewable energy in steelmaking. The FFS research project is a continuation of the 2020 Energy4HYBRIT prefeasibility project, which investigated the need and availability of biomaterial and bioenergy and the techno-economic possibilities to use these in the steel mill processes at SSAB Raahe. The FFS project will build on this work and the goal is to determine solutions to produce green forms of energy, i.e. hydrogen, biochar and biogas - for the steel industry. In addition, the project will study the smelting of hydrogen-reduced sponge iron in an electric arc furnace, the manufacture of fossil-free lime and new solutions to utilize the by-products created in the steelmaking processes.

“The FFS project highlights building research cooperation with major domestic companies in the energy sector in, for example, the area of green hydrogen. One of the challenges in the project will be to combine a new production technology, new forms of energy and the manufacture of demanding high-strength steels into an economically viable concept taking into account sustainability,” says Jarmo Lilja, Process Development Manager at SSAB Raahe.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
...You need batteries to offset coal in Nevada, not solar. They're down to using coal only seasonally, and because they need base load power at night.

-Crissa

Don't know this first hand. Just a story from a Nevada old timer (I just traveller in RV passing thru the state coming from SoCal).

He said that the state gave up the energy that will be produced in the solar array that instead go to be exported to California.

Then when a Democratic Governor and a slew of party-mate senators and representatives, they realized the state has also a dream of carbon-free energy future.

Too late, all contracts have been signed, sealed and delivered.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Don't know this first hand. Just a story from a Nevada old timer (I just traveller in RV passing thru the state coming from SoCal).
Yeah, but they've since caught up. As has been pointed out, only a small percentage of solar power on net metering can max out the grid's absorption.

Hence needing batteries and residential solar instead of big utility-scale sets.

-Crissa
Sponsored