The interesting motor whine in the Cybertruck Cyberbeast

What does the Cyberbeast motor whine remind you of?

• Total voters

Saygmo

First Name
Sas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 awd
Country flag
Yes. I like the Cyberbeast sound better but AWD also sounds nice too. Maybe they are using Maytag Motors. Thank you so much for pointing that out. That is definitely an interesting speculation. I wish that Sandy Munro or any of the automotive engineering people who talk to Tesla could ask them what manufacturer motors they use or if they manufacture their own. That is definitely something I am greatly wondering about right now.
lol Maytag motors? Tesla manufactures their own in house motors, always have. Rivian used Bosch motors until the recent awd dual motor version which is now an in house design. Electric motors also don’t make much noise ( there is no combustion and no physical contact of any item besides the large bearings that the armature shaft rides on) so 90% of the whine you hear is gear noise, more in the cybertruck due to larger gears with a greater reduction than other teslas. If you notice, the noise also changes on regen, because the other side of the gear face is loaded.
There is no way the gears are straight cut, definitely helical. Straight cut gears are ear piercingly loud. I hope the noise isn’t too bad in the cabin, having placed an order for a cyberbeast I am sometimes annoyed by my model 3 gear whine. I want silence while on the highway, that is one reason why I bought ev.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid; CT on order
Country flag
One of the most noticeable things in the Cybertruck and particularly the Cyberbeast is the motor whine. You don't hear that much motor whine in the model s, 3, x, and y which make little to no noise from the motors. The Cybertruck, however, has a decent amount of noise from the motors and I actually like it. There is a lot of motor noise while accelerating and decelerating, and also while cruising at a steady speed a little. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this motor noise in the Cyberbeast. What does it sound like to you, remind you of, and do you think they did anything different with the Cybertruck motor to make a louder sound than the s, 3, x, and y motors?

In this video you can hear the motor whine of the Cybertruck Cyberbeast a little while accelerating and decelerating.

And in this video you can hear the motor whine at a constant speed in most of the video.

I have an S Plaid and I also have a similar whine.

Could be just a Plaid thing?

OP
OP
CyberJet

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Very sorry that I haven't been able to respond and answer yet to everyone who has replied to me or asked anything due to being busy but I shall reply very soon to everyone who replied to me later today. I just wanted to let everyone know because I was worried everyone would think I am ignoring them lol. Thank you all for your responses though, it is very fun talking about the interesting motor and powertrain whine of the Cybertruck with everyone else and hearing their thoughts on it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CyberJet

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
lol Maytag motors? Tesla manufactures their own in house motors, always have. Rivian used Bosch motors until the recent awd dual motor version which is now an in house design. Electric motors also don’t make much noise ( there is no combustion and no physical contact of any item besides the large bearings that the armature shaft rides on) so 90% of the whine you hear is gear noise, more in the cybertruck due to larger gears with a greater reduction than other teslas. If you notice, the noise also changes on regen, because the other side of the gear face is loaded.
There is no way the gears are straight cut, definitely helical. Straight cut gears are ear piercingly loud. I hope the noise isn’t too bad in the cabin, having placed an order for a cyberbeast I am sometimes annoyed by my model 3 gear whine. I want silence while on the highway, that is one reason why I bought ev.
Yeah agreed. Thank you so much for your reply and explanation. I’m not that knowledgeable about the gears and motors in EVs but I always love to learn about it from others. I also don’t think it is straight cut gears cause it is not ear piercing loud. I personally don’t think the noise is too loud in the cabin, it’s not as high pitched and loud as a formula e which might be unbearable. The motor whine seems pretty bearable to me. But if it is not bearable to you then the sound system is really good so maybe you can blast music so that the whine is not that audible anymore.

OP
OP
CyberJet

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I have an S Plaid and I also have a similar whine.

Could be just a Plaid thing?
Thank you so much for your reply. Possibly! The S plaid powertrain sounds quieter than the Cybertruck but it might be the newer teslas just use larger gears or maybe due to more torque needed. great speculation!

OP
OP
CyberJet

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Most people who rode in a Cyberbeast before and/or own one said on another thread the motor whine sounds incredible and it was louder than other Teslas especially while decelerating but not like annoyingly loud so I think it will be okay for everyone overall. I think the motor whine is still quieter than the Rivian R1T at low speeds but I am not sure. At high speeds the Rivian R1T motor whine seems quieter than the Cybertruck motor whine interestingly to me. Here is the R1T powertrain whine for reference.

Last edited: