Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Kia Soul
Occupation
etsy.com/PlatonicWoodWorks
Country flag
That will require some seriously strong magnets. When dealing with average everyday raindrops, I do not see any issues. Snow could cause problems, especially when starting up with a blanket of snow and ice in the morning. There is also the risk of theft. Magnets strong enough to overcome all those problems would present problems of their own. Watches, pacemakers, compasses, probably also cellphones will likely suffer. Scraping ice off of a truck windshield is not the easiest thing to do. Not everyone is 6' tall.

The same concept is used to animate cars on model railroad layouts, but those little cars are not pushing anything besides air, so it works beautifully.

A similar concept is also featured in a video on Brick Experiment Channel, involving a spinning propeller. In this case, any hangups, as soon as they go away, would not affect further performance of the mechanism.

Edit: Sirfun above posted while I was writing this post. He pretty much solved the theft problem.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Ok here’s my answer, someone tell me why this might not work and look better. Two rare earth magnets on a track at the top and bottom of the windshield inside the truck. The magnets travel back and forth the width of the window. That doesn’t seem like incredibly hard engineering. Then you can put a windshield wiper on the outside that would follow the magnets. A strip of UHMD poly under the wiper blade where it contacts the window. Bunch of engineering here to consider but Just thinking out loud. Did I just give away the intermittent wiper patent? Elon if your listening!!!!!!
Tesla has a patent that sounds awfully alot like that.

-Crissa

OP
OP

Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
Great idea. In addition to that, if it's magnetic, why not make it removable. Store the wiper in a sheath built into the frunk. Wiper would be like snow chains, use as needed. (This coming from someone living in California, where it hardly ever rains).
Great idea. In addition to that, if it's magnetic, why not make it removable. Store the wiper in a sheath built into the frunk. Wiper would be like snow chains, use as needed. (This coming from someone living in California, where it hardly ever rains).
I'm not really a fan of removable wipers since you'd end up having to pull over all the time when it starts raining (if not in California :p). That's also a massive wiper to have to be messing with. It's better than having it there all the time, but Tesla can do much better I'd expect

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I doubt a removable wiper would be allowed. Just because it isn't raining doesn't mean you don't need a wiper. I've been on the interstate with a concrete wall as the barrier between North and southbound traffic. For some reason a significant puddle of water was in the left lane of the south bound traffic. I was in the left lane northbound. Semi hit the water puddle and threw very muddy water on my windshield. Without a wiper my vision would be very limited. which is very bad when traveling at interstate speeds in the left lane. Without a wiper that scenario has no good options. At that point you have to decide with of the bad options is the least bad. (Right now I'm guessing the best of the worst is to slow down, move to the right and pull off the road, possibly continuing until the next exit depending on what kind of road you are on and what kind of traffic you're in).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I doubt a removable wiper would be allowed. Just because it isn't raining doesn't mean you don't need a wiper. I've been on the interstate with a concrete wall as the barrier between North and southbound traffic. For some reason a significant puddle of water was in the left lane of the south bound traffic. I was in the left lane northbound. Semi hit the water puddle and threw very muddy water on my windshield. Without a wiper my vision would be very limited. which is very bad when traveling at interstate speeds in the left lane. Without a wiper that scenario has no good options. At that point you have to decide with of the bad options is the least bad. (Right now I'm guessing the best of the worst is to slow down, move to the right and pull off the road, possibly continuing until the next exit depending on what kind of road you are on and what kind of traffic you're in).
Autopilot and FSD need their view clear and unobstructure and occassionally trigger the wiper to clear the view. If there is no wiper then ??? Maybe the laser takes over?
Sponsored