Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I fully understand it and agree. Nobody has explained why they think it would work in a Tesla, and I'm pretty sure it won't.
Yeah, it’s hard to chase down because the older technique where you would coast and accelerate was originally developed with Priuses and hybrids. Now they’ve adapted the word “Hypermiling” to mean any kind of aggressive range extending activities. Drafting and slow speeds are now considered hypermiling, but I don’t think that was the case previously. It might only be relevant on hybrid cars where the engine with an ICE engine which is more wasteful than a Tesla.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Yeah, it’s hard to chase down because the older technique where you would coast and accelerate was originally developed with Priuses and hybrids. Now they’ve adapted the word “Hypermiling” to mean any kind of aggressive range extending activities. Drafting and slow speeds are now considered hypermiling, but I don’t think that was the case previously. It might only be relevant on hybrid cars where the engine with an ICE engine which is more wasteful than a Tesla.
All of that, plus the Tesla motors are still full of drag even when not being used as a generator, particularly the DC motor. It *may* even be more efficient when being lightly powered than when just allowed to spin with no load or power. The AC motor should have less of a penalty when free-wheeling. So an X or S might come closer to hypermiling, but I doubt it really.

Drafting is still valid of course. I've tried it, the change was remarkable. It would be very unethical to do with a random driver, but I arranged it ahead of time and followed insanely closely.

Priuses have AC motors and they are very small, changing the whole equation.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Distance determines amount of boost. Tested and proven.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Distance determines amount of boost. Tested and proven.
It does, but the weather changes how far (and if offset) that distance is.

A straight headwind will leave a longer trail, more gusty will break it up more, a tailwind will negate it, a crosswind will make the bow wake more valuable...

-Crissa
Sponsored