Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I was web surfing this afternoon and came across this article written just after the reveal in 2019. It's an interesting read, especially with 3 years of hindsight (20/20 vision). This explains why most of us are waiting anxiously for any tidbits on when production will begin, and when we'll have one of our own. It also delves a bit into how people thought by this time there would be an opportunity to make money with robotaxi Cybertrucks, and why a lot of people placed multiple reservations.

Here's a taste:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The General Utility Toolbox

The range of Cybertruck capabilities are a little hard to grasp at first.

• Like every car, it offers personal transport. It layers on lots of comfort, space, and headroom for people, and lots of things in the cab.
  • It also offers a LOT of cargo room. About 2× that of a Suburban, and significantly more than an F-150 of the same size.
  • Because it’s battery powered, it is an energy source for all things electric, from table-saws to hairdryers.
  • With optional solar, it can generate energy using integrated solar panels.
  • The battery provides heating and cooling in a significantly more efficient manner than gas car, so it provides efficient interior climate control for all weather.
  • If you’re Mad Max, the Cybertruck lets you go off the grid, with no need to fight for oil. The Cybertruck may also eliminate the need for politicians in Washington to fight for oil.

But wait, there’s more …

• It can be loaded with almost two tons of whatever.
  • It can tow well beyond its weight class: it could tow three stacked pickup trucks.
  • It offers a virtually indestructible surface on the outside and in the cargo area. You cannot dent it. You cannot scratch it. And a suite of sensors will stop it from hitting anything else. And it will have amazingly strong glass, that doesn’t break even when struck by a huge steel ball.

Because it’s a Tesla, it inherits some amazing tech:

• It offers a security system that records video in four directions — 24 hours a day.
  • It’s continually connected to the internet (and Cybertruck V2 might even act as a hotspot connection to ultra-high-speed satellite internet).
  • Entertainment? It’s a drive-in movie theater everywhere it goes, a Caraoke Studio, and an arcade.
  • Software evolution? The Cybertruck will get better every few months through over the air updates. It will become both more efficient and more feature rich, just like other Teslas.

Here's the full article: https://cleantechnica.com/2019/11/27/the-tesla-cybertruck-isnt-a-pickup-its-much-much-more/
Sponsored

Sandybayes1

First Name
Sandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This truck appears to be everything I hoped and dreamed it would be. I plan on renting it out perhaps on Turo to pay it off and then some. As an 81 y/o female at 5’2” I just hope the seat moves down enough for me to reach the pedals and still see out the front if it doesn’t have fsd by the time it gets to me. I should be just under 29k on the list.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I was web surfing this afternoon and came across this article written just after the reveal in 2019. It's an interesting read, especially with 3 years of hindsight (20/20 vision). This explains why most of us are waiting anxiously for any tidbits on when production will begin, and when we'll have one of our own. It also delves a bit into how people thought by this time there would be an opportunity to make money with robotaxi Cybertrucks, and why a lot of people placed multiple reservations.

Here's a taste:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like every car, it offers personal transport. It layers on lots of comfort, space, and headroom for people, and lots of things in the cab.
  • It also offers a LOT of cargo room. About 2× that of a Suburban, and significantly more than an F-150 of the same size.
  • Because it’s battery powered, it is an energy source for all things electric, from table-saws to hairdryers.
  • The battery provides heating and cooling in a significantly more efficient manner than gas car, so it provides efficient interior climate control for all weather.
  • If you’re Mad Max, the Cybertruck lets you go off the grid, with no need to fight for oil. The Cybertruck may also eliminate the need for politicians in Washington to fight for oil.

But wait, there’s more …

• It can tow well beyond its weight class: it could tow three stacked pickup trucks.
  • It offers a virtually indestructible surface on the outside and in the cargo area. You cannot dent it. You cannot scratch it. And a suite of sensors will stop it from hitting anything else. And it will have amazingly strong glass, that doesn’t break even when struck by a huge steel ball.

• It offers a security system that records video in four directions — 24 hours a day.
  • It’s continually connected to the internet (and Cybertruck V2 might even act as a hotspot connection to ultra-high-speed satellite internet).
  • Entertainment? It’s a drive-in movie theater everywhere it goes, a Caraoke Studio, and an arcade.
  • Software evolution? The Cybertruck will get better every few months through over the air updates. It will become both more efficient and more feature rich, just like other Teslas.

Here's the full article: https://cleantechnica.com/2019/11/27/the-tesla-cybertruck-isnt-a-pickup-its-much-much-more/
A good wrap up on the CT benefits, based on which I ordered a few. Just needs to add amphibious mode use cases as well, and use as a farm vehicle.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah…. It’s a box with a top you put stuff in.

I mean… I think it’ll be a great truck, but it’s a truck. I think the Cybertruck will be a bit nicer than a typical truck, but my Tundra did just fine getting me up the mountain.

I’m just hoping this coming event has some more details for us. Love to have some nails in this coffin.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I was wondering when you'd rock up with it's "just a truck". But what if it isn't? 😉

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
*Shrug*

People seem to be in love with the WonderMobile.

“Just a great truck” is plenty.
I guess part of the reason why I don't think of it as a truck, is because it's the ultimate utility vehicle that just happens to do truck things. And I don't like to pigeon hole it as just a truck, because it's so much more than just a truck. BTW, Elon has referred to it several times lately as a car (which is blasphemy for most truck folks). :ROFLMAO:

And, it doesn't look like a truck!:p

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I guess part of the reason why I don't think of it as a truck, is because it's the ultimate utility vehicle that just happens to do truck things. And I don't like to pigeon hole it as just a truck, because it's so much more than just a truck. BTW, if you notice lately Elon has referred to it several times lately as a car (which is blasphemy for most truck folks). :ROFLMAO:

And, it doesn't look like a truck!:p
Another way of looking at it: About 45 minutes with an angle grinder and its an SUV.

Truck, SUV, Van… I just want a way to get bikes, tools, and bodies up the hill.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Personally I see the CT as a technology enabler. To power and move all manner of things, and as such I'm constantly searching to find applications for it to enable. Not because necessarily Tesla will make them happen, but rather that I can possibly provide some third party solutions to make it happen if they don't. The CT accessory market will be second to none.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag

Here's a taste:

But wait, there’s more …

CYBRTRK= STAINLESS ALL-PURPOSE INSTRUMENT OF TRANSPORT.
_SAIOT_ :)

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Another way of looking at it: About 45 minutes with an angle grinder and its an SUV.

Truck, SUV, Van… I just want a way to get bikes, tools, and bodies up the hill.
Be sure the tailgate is shut TIGHT and the Vault is Locked PROPER! Keep them bodies SAFE! :)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Be sure the tailgate is shut TIGHT and the Vault is Locked PROPER! Keep them bodies SAFE! :)
When I bought my ice chest it had in big letters on the side that it was scent proof so bears couldn’t smell your food inside.

When the clerk was ringing it up asked if I found everything or had any questions…

ME: “It says bears can’t smell what’s inside. What about cadaver dogs?”

BLANK Stare from the clerk…. “I … Don’t … Know“
Sponsored