This is why Cybertruck and Supercharger network will win... Rivian burns down charging at Electrify America

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Yes it has. When I tell some of my family members that I am getting a Cybertruck, they respond, "Hope it doesn't catch on fire..."
I'd say it falls into line with the Aunt from the Geico commercial....

"Nice house, hope you can keep it clean".

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
It does make life exciting though. When you hook up your EV to EA, go to Walmart, walking down the aisle, get a bing (message) on your phone. It makes you wonder, is it your EV screaming for help with fourth-degree burn or just an email. And when you go back and see EA stopped charging after first 3 KWh thirty minutes ago, it does not sound so bad anymore when you think of that Rivian. I think EA has realized if you can't improve reliability, you may as well lower expectations.

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
It does make life exciting though. When you hook up your EV to EA, go to Walmart, walking down the aisle, get a bing (message) on your phone. It makes you wonder, is it your EV screaming for help with fourth-degree burn or just an email. And when you go back and see EA stopped charging after first 3 KWh thirty minutes ago, it does not sound so bad anymore when you think of that Rivian. I think EA has realized if you can't improve reliability, you may as well lower expectations.
Tesla Cybertruck This is why Cybertruck and Supercharger network will win... Rivian burns down charging at Electrify America 1686103194870

JRu

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Cherokee, BMW R1200R
Occupation
Gymja Warrior
Country flag
I guess whether it's Rivian or EA doesn't matter at all as long as you're forced to use someone else's network while away from home the risk will always be there.

I wonder, coming from an ICE driver, how many Tesla drivers out there have to use non-tesla charging stations? I'm sure it's not 0%, but given how many superchargers are out there, hopefully not many.

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Does this mean that for some people EVs are too 🔥HOT🔥 to handle?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I guess whether it's Rivian or EA doesn't matter at all as long as you're forced to use someone else's network while away from home the risk will always be there.

I wonder, coming from an ICE driver, how many Tesla drivers out there have to use non-tesla charging stations? I'm sure it's not 0%, but given how many superchargers are out there, hopefully not many.
This is an important point. I don't understand the technical challenges but we saw Korean cars having problem with magic doc and we have seen may issues like this with different EVs connecting to different networks. As it stands, I think you are right. A closed network seems to be much safer and more reliable. I have no idea if it is a matter of better hardware, software or standards but it looks like we still have ways to go to improve safety.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is an important point. I don't understand the technical challenges but we saw Korean cars having problem with magic doc and we have seen may issues like this with different EVs connecting to different networks. As it stands, I think you are right. A closed network seems to be much safer and more reliable. I have no idea if it is a matter of better hardware, software or standards but it looks like we still have ways to go to improve safety.
Closed networks aren't sustainable.

-Crissa

CyberJay

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD (two), Model Y
Occupation
Oncology Biotech Exec | GOD BLESS THE USA
Country flag
I bet anyone arguing against EV still carry a mobile phone with them despite ton of videos of them catching on fire. I wouldn’t be a surprised if it is a political stance more than a tech or safety issue with most. That said, I would definitely won’t say no to safety improvement in charging and battery tech.

THANK YOU for posting this. SO ANNOYING when people misunderstand the fires of batteries.
EVERYONE carries batteries in their pocket.
Sponsored