First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Country flag
Hey everyone,
Just wondering if anyone has experience and / or thoughts on the Tesla trade in process. I have a 2015 F150 ecoboost and I am beyond excited to trade in or sell privately leading up to the delivery of my dual motor Cybertruck. Has anyone gone through a trade in process with Tesla? Do they offer reasonable trade in value? Any general thoughts on trade in vs private sale in 2022?

As we draw closer to receiving our Cybertrucks I need to ensure I have a vehicle right up until the point that I get it and of course, I plan to use the trade or or private sale as a deposit. Also, I am assuming that you can amortize over 7 years?? Heck I would even go longer if possible. This is a big purchase for me.

Thanks everyone!
D
Sponsored

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Ask a local Tesla show room. In my area they told me that they sell all there trade ins in auction. So for best price for me would be to sell private for top dollar.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
If you can sell it third party I highly insist you do so. I used their website to quote out my F350 with service boxes and they offered me $6000 for it, going market rate is in the mid $20k range.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Regular dealers you would get a much better trade in, as they would clean it up and resale. Tesla has 0 interest in selling an Ice, and at auction you don't always get what you want thus selling to family, friends, cregslist, Facebook, etc.. would be the best option to get you money. You can try CarVana or CarMax, plenty of my co-workers got above asking price when selling. For me they only offers crap so I ended up selling on FaceBook.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
Carvana FTW!

SS

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Private sale will usually get you above blue book, which is all Tesla will give you.

A no-hassle trade-in experience is what Tesla does, but that means no haggling and only an okay price.

-Crissa

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Just sold my Ecodiesel for $2300 more than Tesla offered.... go with a 3rd party, for sure.

OP
OP

Dmanhyde

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Country flag
Thanks everyone! sounds like a private sale is the way to go!

anyone know or have experience with financing with Tesla? What is the longest offered amortization period? And can I assume 0% financing?

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
We went to a third-party car buyer, the really big one whose name escapes me right now (FU pandemic). They also sell used cars. We went through the whole sales process and got a written offer and blah, blah, blah. Tesla offered the exact same amount.

We went with the Tesla center for ease. It was a simple "bring title, sign these papers, the number is deducted from sales price." Could we have got more? Maybe... it had a slight oil leak that would require a couple thousand to fix (the third-party buyer didn't find it and/or care).

If you keep your vehicles in above Blue Book, then yes, sell privately. If it's got some issues, do consider the trade-in.

Last edited:

jcryer3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Ram Promaster
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Tesla is just taking trade ins at wholesale; they then sell to used car dealers. It is easy fast, but it is not going to give the highest price.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Private sale will usually get you above blue book, which is all Tesla will give you.

A no-hassle trade-in experience is what Tesla does, but that means no haggling and only an okay price.

-Crissa
I have heard this and that some people goto trade and then the price is changed / lowered

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I've traded in twice with Tesla. The first was an ancient BMW for which they offered me $500. I was not able to take that deal because we couldn't find the title (for a good reason - we didn't have it). What a mess. The bank that held the loan had been sold. We finally ran it down though.

The other trade in was a fairly young model X. They gave me Blue Book. All went smoothly. I was more than willing to give up a few bucks for that smooth process and Blue Book is the best you are probably going to get from any other dealer anyway,

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
I agree with above, Tesla trade ins to other Tesla's. They give the best value as they understand there values.
Sponsored