Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 SR+, Cybertruck dual motor reservation
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I know there's several (ok, more than several) threads on this topic already. But this is really my single largest remaining red flag on making my purchase. I plan to use it to tow my camper across the country frequently and would need to use the SuperCharger network on a regular basis.

We can all agree that in an ideal world, there will be enough available SuperChargers with pull through spots so that people don't have to disconnect their trailers/campers while on a roadtrip by the time the Cybertruck is released. This isn't happening. And on the East Coast, while we're seeing a massive number of new SuperChargers opening, which is great, they all seem to be at gas stations like Sheetz or Wawa's. The problem is that not only aren't these going to be pull through stations, there aren't places on the property to disconnect the trailers/campers either. THAT is a secondary problem.

I'm wondering if it's possible technically, and economically feasible, for Tesla to install/provide a lockbox station at each Supercharger location that can be activated with your Tesla Card that includes a handful of 20-30 foot high voltage extension cables to attach to a charger stall. While likely prohibitively expensive for individual owners to buy for themselves, it would at least allow charging to happen. (Probably blocking people in while charging and require breaks to let people in and out on occasion.)

Or to a lesser extent, have the end chargers include 25 foot cables? I would much rather have to stop charging on occasion to back up for a moment if I'm blocking a stall to let someone in or out than to have to disconnect my trailer entirely and leave it in a parking lot across the street or somewhere else just to charge.

Has there been a better solution proposed somewhere else? Like I said, I've seen several other threads, on this topic, but no real solutions yet. I keep hoping I've missed something someone posted. This keeps me up at night!
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
So...
The lock box with extension cords idea is technically doable, but unlikely. There's a semi secret tidbit of info about the charging cables you may be missing. I forget where I saw it, but somewhere they claimed the cables have liquid cooling channels in them so that the cable can be smaller and flexible without overheating. If that is true, (feel like others have seen it also), the extension cords would not have the liquid cooling and have to be made of much thicker, heavier, stiffer cable. The extra long cables on end chargers seems like a better idea but there are potential issues with that also.

I don't know your traveling plans/schedule, but needing to use SC's may not be needed as much as you think. If you have the 500 mile tri motor, you could probably go 200 miles between charges. If you do more than that in a day, you'd have to SC at least once. If you hop from campground to campground and go less than the range one charge gives you, (in my guess, 200 miles) and the campgrounds have 50A service, you may be fully charged by the next day. I realize there's a lot of "if's" in my explanation and that could cause a lot of range anxiety. Just giving you something to think about.

Happy Travels!

Addendum: Just googled it. V3 chargers have liquid cooled cables. V2 and below have regular non-liquid cooled cables.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla will more likely come out with these solutions closer to the launch date of the Cybertruck.

There are some locations with pull-throughs already.

-Crissa

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Your RV will need a bank of batteries. Wouldn't it be nice is if you could get a PowerWall as the RV's power source and it had the ability to be used by the truck when you need additional range?!? The best part of this idea is that it would add range to your truck when you need it (towing) but doesn't weight the truck down when you don't!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, pull-throughs are better for queueing, too, although you don't want to pull right up behind a car, you want to be back before the line of them like stalls in a toilet, so you can grab whichever is next instead of waiting for a specific one...

-Crissa

Tho, now that I think of it, guys might not get the toilet-queue problem. Maybe if they've been to a festival and needed to wait at a line of portapotties?

OP
OP

EpiKAC

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Your RV will need a bank of batteries. Wouldn't it be nice is if you could get a PowerWall as the RV's power source and it had the ability to be used by the truck when you need additional range?!? The best part of this idea is that it would add range to your truck when you need it (towing) but doesn't weight the truck down when you don't!
I actually smiled at this idea, but batteries are heavy. And the point of an RV is to be as light as possible. I'm speaking from a point of ignorance here, because I have absolutely no idea how much a Powerwall weighs, but my first though is that they probably outweigh most RVs alone. So even if possible, is it worthwhile? Is the convenience of having it worth the cost in loss of range by towing it?

Again, I have no idea. But it's definitely food for thought!

OP
OP

EpiKAC

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I'm pretty sure we're all going to see it in a couple of years, because unless an alternative solution is found, it's going to be a pretty common sight!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, batteries in the floor of an RV would increase wind stability, and allow boondocking to maintain refrigeration while you and the truck are away.

While it would be neat for it to be able to charge from or to the traction battery - or to use regen instead of only friction braking - I'd think keeping the goodies powered would be its primary use.

Heck, I saw one prototype where you could control the small motor in the axle and use it to position the trailer without the vehicle! I've seen people walk trailers (or have expensive little donkeys to do it) into parallel or head-in parking positions before and having just the slightest power to the axle would do that.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Superchargers often get stuffed into small spaces in the back of a parking lot.

They can get 8 stalls along the back row of a parking lot. If they were pull through spots they would only be able to get 2-3.

They do quite often have pull *in* spaces, usually in the last stall in a row of stalls.

Seems like the most common smaller stations are something like this (brand new!) one. The trailer “friendly” stall is the first one where you pull in. You do have to be aware of blocking traffic and have to back out when you are done though.

Tesla Cybertruck Travel while towing. 1651271533325

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I actually smiled at this idea, but batteries are heavy. And the point of an RV is to be as light as possible. I'm speaking from a point of ignorance here, because I have absolutely no idea how much a Powerwall weighs, but my first though is that they probably outweigh most RVs alone. So even if possible, is it worthwhile? Is the convenience of having it worth the cost in loss of range by towing it?

Again, I have no idea. But it's definitely food for thought!
RVs are not usually made to be as light as possible, and no a powerwall isn't as heavy as an RV, not even a fraction of an RV.

My RV (a 21' travel trailer), is actually made with weight as a major factor, so it is lighter than many in its class at about 3600 lbs dry weight and a GVRW of 5500 lbs. Our traveling weight is about 4500 lbs, leaving 1000lbs of cargo I could add to it.

A Powerwall is about 250 lbs. I've got room for 4!

The major problem I see, is that it is a lot of money for a travel trailer we mostly use for several weeks of summer vacation trips. However if someone is "full timing", the cost/benefit ratio might tilt in favor of something like a powerwall.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The major problem I see, is that it is a lot of money for a travel trailer we mostly use for several weeks of summer vacation trips. However if someone is "full timing", the cost/benefit ratio might tilt in favor of something like a powerwall.
V2L or V2G would allow a battery installed on a trailer do a teensy amount of work while it wasn't being used for the trailer.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
The other issue with PowerWall is that it is very small compared to the battery on vehicles.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
1 powerwall is only good for around 25miles of range on a CT...if its not pulling a trailer. :(

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
The other issue with PowerWall is that it is very small compared to the battery on vehicles.
Precisely, missing is the little red gas can Powercan. Running low .v. running out of energy is all that’s necessary ti make the nearest charger.

Powercan, of course in red, is all that’s needed between a Tesla and flatbed car hauler, Tesla center, reboot and return pickup. Running a Tesla to “0” MTY is not a good day.
Sponsored