Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Ole Freddy Lambert back at it again. Notice it says cold worked. 🤔

Tesla applies for patent for ‘ultra-hard steel’ for Cybertruck

https://electrek.co/2023/02/24/tesla-applies-patent-ultra-hard-steel-cybertruck/

In the patent application, Tesla shared some technical specs of the steel alloy:
In one aspect, a steel alloy composition is described. The composition includes Fe, a hardness is at least about 400 HV, and an Epit-Eocp corrosion resistance of at least about 500 mV in a 3 wt% sodium chloride aqueous solution.
In some embodiments, the hardness is about 420 HV to about 500 HV. In some embodiments, the Epit-Eocp corrosion resistance is about 520 mV to about 800 mV. In some embodiments, the Epit-Eocp corrosion resistance is about 520 mV to about 600 mV. In some embodiments, the composition has a yield strength of at least about 1100 MPa. In some embodiments, the composition has a ductility of at least about 60° bend angle at 1.8mm thickness. In some embodiments, martensite formation begins at about 260 K to about 340 K. In some embodiments, martensite formation begins at about 260 K to about 320 K. In some embodiments, the composition has at least about 12 vol% martensite. In some embodiments, the composition has a yield strength of at least about 1100 MPa.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
In some embodiments, the hardness is about 420 HV to about 500 HV.
Using this conversion scale:
https://upmold.com/bhn-hv-hrb-hrc-hardness-conversion-table/

and a quick google search for ballistic steel hardness which results in: 480-540 Brinnel.

We are getting an exoskeleton that is almost.. but not quite ballistic steel.

I point this out.. only because I was standing next to an NYPD SUV at a red light yesterday and noticed for the first time that they have an extra layer of steel armor on the front doors that I only noticed because it was raised up above the natural level of the body panels.

I immediately started thinking about how the cybertruck exoskeleton would fare.

Last edited:

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Using this conversion scale:
https://upmold.com/bhn-hv-hrb-hrc-hardness-conversion-table/

and a quick google search for ballistic steel hardness which results in: 480-540 Brinnel.

We are getting an exoskeleton that is almost.. but not quite ballistic steel.

I point this out.. only because I was standing next to an NYPD SUV at a red light yesterday and noticed for the first time that they have an extra layer of steel armor on the front doors that I only noticed because it was raised up above the natural level of the body panels.

I immediately started thinking about how the cybertruck exoskeleton would fare.
How hard is ballistics grade? I googles "ballistic brinnel" and it seems the numbers Tesla patented are in fact up to par. I don't know jack though. I sale TVs for a living. Help me out here haha

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
How hard is ballistics grade? I googles "ballistic brinnel" and it seems the numbers Tesla patented are in fact up to par. I don't know jack though. I sale TVs for a living. Help me out here haha
I google as well. very brief attempt at finding the answer said 480-540 Brinnel for ballistic steel. If that conversion table can be believed, then the max 500HV mentioned in the patent is about 475 Brinnel. So just under "ballistic steel".

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
I google as well. very brief attempt at finding the answer said 480-540 Brinnel for ballistic steel. If that conversion table can be believed, then the max 500HV mentioned in the patent is about 475 Brinnel. So just under "ballistic steel".
I see I see I see..

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
The Brinell 480-540 is approximately equivalent to Rockwell C 50-54 and that is hard.
For comparison, one of the hardest stainless steels 440C used for SS bearings typically hardened to Rockwell C 55. Tool steel (not SS) usually 58-62 Rc

But where the Brinell 480-540 numbers are coming from? The 300 series stainless steel is rarely harder than 47 Rc

Last edited:

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
The hardness scale used in the information is Vickers hardness, not Brinell hardness (hence the "HV" and not "HB"). Apparently they are almost identical up to about 300 HV, and slightly different above that. The Vickers test uses a pyramid-shaped diamond tip vs Brinell using a ball tip.

Scroll a bit down on this page for a handy conversion table https://www.steelexpress.co.uk/steel-hardness-conversion.html

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Ballistic steel starts at 5 mm and goes up from there.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If I am going to be anywhere near ballistics, this is when the 2.9sec comes in handy !!!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If I am going to be anywhere near ballistics, this is when the 2.9sec comes in handy !!!
Just get a "not a armoured vest" training vest. Has 1/2 inch steel plates as "weights" in it, and stops everything except for a 50 cal.

But are you getting shot at by the goodies or the baddies now? Can you even tell anymore? Lol.

CT has got to be the easiest truck in the world to fully armor with straight panels everywhere. Structural Battery should take care of absorbing a bit from mines etc. Even chucking steel plates on the windows would work so long you leave cut outs for the FSD cameras for 360 camera view.

slomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just get a "not a armoured vest" training vest. Has 1/2 inch steel plates as "weights" in it, and stops everything except for a 50 cal.

But are you getting shot at by the goodies or the baddies now? Can you even tell anymore? Lol.

CT has got to be the easiest truck in the world to fully armor with straight panels everywhere. Structural Battery should take care of absorbing a bit from mines etc. Even chucking steel plates on the windows would work so long you leave cut outs for the FSD cameras for 360 camera view.
Mines need to be countered by the weight of the vehicle. That's part of the reason that Humvee size vehicles have fallen out of favor for either light and fast or bigger and mine resistant. The JLTV weighs something like 3X cybertruck

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
You do realize a bullet could be leaving the barrel at around 200 mph and you're not going to win that race.