Understanding The Exoskeleton / Body -- is there a frame underneath?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
They could inject that pink stuff they use for the battery pack.
<snip>
It could possibly float, stop water ingress
That‘s one idea that would float a boat! Especially, like using it for flotation at the rear drive unit to keep its ass high and dry.

Can Tesla recycle styrofoam peanuts to save pollution? It can’t afford taking a demerit on EPA grounds.
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Disclaimer

Read anything technical I may attempt, as coming from the perspective of a layman sitting on banana lounge sipping a pina colada. 😬

radami1

First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, model s
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You guys don't all think it's one piece of steel all just bent, right? I've had a couple discussions with confused people.

There is in fact a frame under there, the bent steel mounts to the exoskeleton.

Right???
Somebody came up with the term exoskeleton. Literally the term means outside frame. Now literally the term exoskeleton does not exclude other frames. As someone else in this forum has pointed out it refers to the frame formed by the a-pillar and b-pillar and other visible components. It does not mean there's not an "endoskeleton", a frame not visible outside the body

Deleted member 12457

...Do you know what a Simpson Strong-Tie is? It's right in the name. And yet it's not a frame for the house.

-Crissa
Yes, I know what Simpson strong-ties are. I've used them many times. In simple terms, they're used to keep things from moving apart, like a house from its foundation.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
The topic is about whether there is a frame underneath (the body) and most of the discussion is ignoring the fact there is a frame underneath the exoskeleton and body. I'm not saying they're the same thing, I'm simply saying the CT has a structural frame under everything.
When you say "there is a frame underneath the exoskeleton and body" it makes it seem like they are separate as on a body on frame vehicle. That frame is part of the exoskeleton, in the same way that on the Model Y that is all part of the unibody.
Sponsored