Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Chevy Colorado Bison, Chevy Suburban 2500
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Eh... One jump and it's destroyed. I would take my Raptor and TRX to Glamis and hit whoops at 80-90+ and jump it with no issue. The Cybertruck would be totalled vs what a real truck with long travel suspension would do. Air suspension is garbage for off-road.

The Cybertruck is more comparable to a Lamborghini Urus then a real off-road truck and it's mainly for the street, with limited off-roading ability.
Oh, I didn’t know Raptors or the TRX came stock with Long Travel Suspension.
Sponsored

kpg81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
Oh, I didn’t know Raptors or the TRX came stock with Long Travel Suspension.
Ehh well closer to mid travel but completely different than an air suspension like the Cybertruck. Having a 5 link coil suspension is a lot more durable for off-road abuse then some air suspension on the Cybertruck. Jump them both and run through the whoops and see.

The Cybertruck literally uses an air suspension like a luxury or sport SUV like the URUS rather than an actual off road truck. Theres no sense of comparing it to actual trucks that can go off-road or even come close to the abilities of even a Jeep, let alone a Raptor or TRX.

Nexus6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Ehh well closer to mid travel but completely different than an air suspension like the Cybertruck. Having a 5 link coil suspension is a lot more durable for off-road abuse then some air suspension on the Cybertruck. Jump them both and run through the whoops and see.

The Cybertruck literally uses an air suspension like a luxury or sport SUV like the URUS rather than an actual off road truck. Theres no sense of comparing it to actual trucks that can go off-road or even come close to the abilities of even a Jeep, let alone a Raptor or TRX.
Yeah, I’d agree. I’ve got 3.0” King Coil Overs and a custom Long Travel Kit by Kibbetech installed on our Suburban. IMO Kings are the best in the business. The CyberTruck is kind of a “Swiss Army Knife” or “Decathlete” of a truck. It’s not outstanding in specific categories, compared to niche, specially equipped trucks but gives them all a good run for their money in all categories.

kpg81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
Yeah, I’d agree. I’ve got 3.0” King Coil Overs and a custom Long Travel Kit by Kibbetech installed on our Suburban. IMO Kings are the best in the business. The CyberTruck is kind of a “Swiss Army Knife” or “Decathlete” of a truck. It’s not outstanding in specific categories, compared to niche, specially equipped trucks but gives them all a good run for their money in all categories.
That's awesome. Kings are definitely the best! I actually look forward to what people do with the Cybertruck and replacing the air suspension with a long travel setup with King shocks, I bet that would be insane! I'm sure someone is working on it now.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Again, different opinions. But if I want to go off-roading, it won't be in a Cybertruck.
You're missing out, the Cybertruck is great off-road, compared to any other stock pickup, contrary to a lot of the opinions I've heard from know-nothings. The OEM tires are not particularly high traction on loose surfaces, and they are designed primarily for higher-speed driving, not for airing down, they are a compromise and are surprisingly good on-road. But simply by changing the tires or the tires and wheels, the Cybertruck will be superior in so many ways to traditional off-road pickups. The extra ground clearance and quick steering ratios/rear wheel steering are all gamechangers, and the air suspension has an impressive ride on rough roads and trails. I imagine with 18" wheels the ride and capabilities off-road would be even more amazing.

Just know that in full-on off-road trim, you will lose quite a bit of its on-road capability, same as with any truck. The solution for many will be two sets of wheels/tires, depending upon the capabilities required. One of the best things about Cybertruck is its natural resistance to common hazards off-road, things like branches and alder saplings on narrow trails, rocks hitting the bodywork, etc. Sure, the plastic trim gets the tell-tale scratch marks but there is no fragile paint or clearcoat to ruin. My plastic fenders and mirrors are all scratched up, but the metal still looks great. Even after years of abuse, the stainless steel will be easily brought back to new simply be polishing with an orbital sander.

My strategy is not to worry about the plastic trim, it won't cost all that much to simply replace it with new trim pieces at any point, if desired. Or maybe they could even be sanded down too, to give them a uniform appearance, since they consist mostly of flat surfaces. The scratches in the plastic trim I'm seeing are not deep, probably because the dust and dirt acting as an abrasive is pretty fine, and the plastic is pretty durable and hard (for plastic).

Yeah, the Cybertruck is (so far) under-rated off-road, due to people's natural biases against EVs and Tesla, it's a really nice cabin to be in when the going gets rough. Sure, it's expensive, but so is a Raptor R which costs more than a Dual Motor and needs a lot more maintenance and has high fuel expenses. And the Raptor makes a lot more noise, which I find undesirable out in the wild.

My point is, people who think the Cybertruck is not good off-road are simply buying into ignorance.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

You are confusing off-road travel with rally style off-road racing.

The video in which the Cybertrucks suspension was destroyed by launching had a highly modified suspension, and those modifications were under-engineered and sub-optimal. The failure was caused by the modified suspension. Even the Cybertrucks OEM suspension has its limits, like any truck suspension, but it's designed to handle very rugged trails without issue. Catch air and land wrong and you will be breaking things on any truck. It gets very expensive, very quickly. This is not unique to the Cybertruck.

Off-road travel is not off-road racing, and even the Cybertruck can do some of the latter with no more than different tires, and perhaps wheels, depending upon what you are looking to achieve. You risk breaking things no matter which truck you drive, if you drive off-road at high speed. Even a purpose-built rock crawler is surprisingly easily to do massive damage to at higher speeds. That's why I say you are confusing off-road rally-style driving with off-road driving. It makes me wonder how much off-road travel experience you actually have.

Last edited:

Nexus6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
You're missing out, the Cybertruck is great off-road, compared to any other stock pickup, contrary to a lot of the opinions I've heard from know-nothings. The OEM tires are not particularly high traction on loose surfaces, and they are designed primarily for higher-speed driving, not for airing down, they are a compromise and are surprisingly good on-road. But simply by changing the tires or the tires and wheels, the Cybertruck will be superior in so many ways to traditional off-road pickups. The extra ground clearance and quick steering ratios/rear wheel steering are all gamechangers, and the air suspension has an impressive ride on rough roads and trails. I imagine with 18" wheels the ride and capabilities off-road would be even more amazing.

Just know that in full-on off-road trim, you will lose quite a bit of its on-road capability, same as with any truck. The solution for many will be two sets of wheels/tires, depending upon the capabilities required. One of the best things about Cybertruck is its natural resistance to common hazards off-road, things like branches and alder saplings on narrow trails, rocks hitting the bodywork, etc. Sure, the plastic trim gets the tell-tale scratch marks but there is no fragile paint or clearcoat to ruin. My plastic fenders and mirrors are all scratched up, but the metal still looks great. Even after years of abuse, the stainless steel will be easily brought back to new simply be polishing with an orbital sander.

My strategy is not to worry about the plastic trim, it won't cost all that much to simply replace it with new trim pieces at any point, if desired. Or maybe they could even be sanded down too, to give them a uniform appearance, since they consist mostly of flat surfaces. The scratches in the plastic trim I'm seeing are not deep, probably because the dust and dirt acting as an abrasive is pretty fine, and the plastic is pretty durable and hard (for plastic).

Yeah, the Cybertruck is (so far) under-rated off-road, due to people's natural biases against EVs and Tesla, it's a really nice cabin to be in when the going gets rough. Sure, it's expensive, but so is a Raptor R which costs more than a Dual Motor and needs a lot more maintenance and has high fuel expenses. And the Raptor makes a lot more noise, which I find undesirable out in the wild.

My point is, people who think the Cybertruck is not good off-road are simply buying into ignorance.
I totally agree 🤙🏼

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.meyerwine.com
Vehicles
Model 3, '73 GMC truck, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist, Vintner
Country flag

Nexus6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
OP
OP
UP_Frank

UP_Frank

Site Sponsor
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y
Country flag
Awesome! Thanks for the link! I’ll follow up with the UP guys after I take delivery. I’ve got some of their products on pre order.
Just to confirm, 37's will not fit without some serious work. Not really worth it in my opinion. As much as I would love to see 37's on this, i think 35's will be the extent unless someone takes the leap to chop the truck up.

Also thanks for preordering some stuff for your truck! Super excited to start seeing more and more trucks with our product line installed.

Nexus6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Just to confirm, 37's will not fit without some serious work. Not really worth it in my opinion. As much as I would love to see 37's on this, i think 35's will be the extent unless someone takes the leap to chop the truck up.

Also thanks for preordering some stuff for your truck! Super excited to start seeing more and more trucks with our product line installed.
If it just involves heat forming or cutting some plastic, I don’t mind doing that but until the warranty expires I’m not ready to start cutting metal.
Thanks for the reply Frank and just to confirm 17” rims won’t fit?

OP
OP
UP_Frank

UP_Frank

Site Sponsor
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y
Country flag
If it just involves heat forming or cutting some plastic, I don’t mind doing that but until the warranty expires I’m not ready to start cutting metal.
Thanks for the reply Frank and just to confirm 17” rims won’t fit?
Unfortunately, cutting some of the plastic won't clear, would involve much more than that which is why we stuck with a 35.

17's will be too small from what I am aware of!

Thudhead

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, CybrTrk reservation
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I will wait to order my CyberTruck when they offer 18” wheels, and order a second set of 18” wheels for winter changeover.
Sponsored