Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It’s a shame this as happened because CT basically Put electric trucks into peoples minds now all the other brands Have copied but unfortunately they’re going to get theirs to market quicker then Tesla because there been around way longer than Tesla.
I suspect Rivian was working on a truck before Tesla.

Ford doesn't matter. The quantities they are manufacturing the Lightning in are rounding errors in the scheme of things. It's possible (not likely but definitely possible) Tesla will ship more Cybertruck's in 2022 than Ford. Unless there is another big delay, Tesla will outship everyone in 2023 by a large margin.

There going to lose loads of sales because people don’t want to wait.
Entirely possible, but think about it, who are they losing sales to? If you order a Ford now you are looking at 2024 or maybe 2025 ship date. No clue how long it will take to get a newly ordered Rivian.

Everything Tesla does gets copied,
That is actually a big part of Tesla's goal as a company.

TRECAM06

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (Pre-Ordered), Dodge Grand Caravan 2009
Occupation
Student
Country flag
I mean, most of this is based on the current shortage of materials right? The facility will definitely be production capable at the beginning of next year. Just that whole "Cost a Million dollars" for one thing is there right now. So if the world economy sees recovery and mass production and mining of materials needed for EVs ramps back up, we could see an earlier production. We all knew Model Y would be the first thing to roll out of GT, now it feels more real.

Jelloiron

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Wow, that was quick. I saw your post earlier, where you expressed being used to having a truck. Hope it all works out well for you.
Yeah, me too. It's the only problem I have with the M3, I hate being that close to the ground and not being able to see what's going on around me. I also feel helpless having to call friends to use their trucks because I can't get my car off road or when I need to pick up supplies at Home Depot.

That being said, every time I drive my wife's car, I get irritated at having to actually move my foot to the brake pedal. I know only other Tesla owners will get this, but the one pedal driving makes other vehicles feel out dated and archaic.

I would rather them have everything right than rush to deliver and then have problems. Or worse, rush it out with existing batteries only to have the next year come out with the better batteries.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
How are we suppose to do that?
That’s a great idea. Can only be done old school.
Want to make our Earth smile and tax payers?
Use our prison systems to clean up!
This would be the wise thing to do.

No-mo-ice

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Occupation
Aerospace Engineering
Country flag
Well, since the market is really high for my 2018 Tundra, it looks like I’ll get the 2022 TRD pro tundra. Then trade it in for my CT. By the time it’s ready for me to pick it up, my Tundra will nearly be paid off.
Disheartening News, that’s for sure, but I’m getting one anyway.

Jelloiron

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Well, since the market is really high for my 2018 Tundra, it looks like I’ll get the 2022 TRD pro tundra. Then trade it in for my CT. By the time it’s ready for me to pick it up, my Tundra will nearly be paid off.
Disheartening News, that’s for sure, but I’m getting one anyway.
That's exactly where my mind is at. I''ll have my M3 as my daily driver to work and back and the truck for my days off activities. Both of those are going away when the CT comes in.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just wanted to point something out that a lot of others know and forget or never knew in the first place. With Tesla vertical integrating more and more of their components and processes of manufacturing they are left to "Building the Machine that makes the Machine" since what they are trying to accomplish has never been done before. In the case of the Giga Press, there was no need for an 8k ton press before the CT. IDRA is tasked to build the machine first (it's bigger than most homes). And that is just a part of what it will take to manufacture the CT.
Using the single piece rear casting on the Model Y eliminated 300 robots and 69 parts. Adding the rear casting is supposed to have a similar effect.

That's essentially 600 places where things can go wrong in terms of quality or equipment failure. 600 fewer fiddly places you have to worry about dealing with timing or running power, and ~138 parts which no longer have to be tracked or fed into the assembly line.

It's not too hard to see why this is so critical to keeping costs down on the Cybertruck and why those 8k presses are essential.

Last edited:

Double Dare Fan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Kia Soul
Occupation
etsy.com/PlatonicWoodWorks
Country flag
How are we suppose to do that?
Private landowners who own forested land could be given tax incentives to "de-brush" their properties. All the brush, branches, dead trees, etc. (that's the stuff that fuels forest fires. The big trees just end up suffering as a result) would be cut down, picked up, and hauled to businesses that grind it up into mulch or other useful materials. Or just hauled out to an open field and incinerated.
Cybr on's idea would be implemented on gov-owned or public land.

Trucky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma until delivery
Occupation
Chief Investment Officer
Country flag
I did it, I bought this today with the news of the delay on the CT, I have to have a truck and I was pushing it driving the M3 for almost a year as it is. I'm keeping the M3 and will trade both in when the CT finally comes in.

1.jpg
2.jpg
Oops!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think we all must change much more than we have any idea if we hope for any of us to survive.
Personally, I don't see anything I do personally as affecting any of this.

My new attitude is "Think Globally, YOLO".

If we are doomed, I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can and push for reform from the top which is the only way any of this gets fixed.

Sasmania

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PY holding me over till TRI CT
Occupation
FlagstaffRentalCabin.com & TeslaRenter.com
Country flag
I hedged my bets: Lightning reservation immediately after the reveal, Model Y reservation just made. Order book opens on the Lightning "this fall" so we'll see if can get in the system for a 2022 delivery. The Y is looking like a Feb delivery, since it can tow a decent load, I could get by with that awaiting E-trucks to become more plentiful.
Yea, get the Y... although you might want to wait to see if it gets 4680s relatively soon, which "might" bump up the range over 400, which would be REALLY helpful if towing... Trust me, I've towed a lot of loads with the Y... 300 can work but is very far from ideal.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
well, this really sucks.....but we had to know it was coming.....shortages, rain and lack of information and melons typical play on words......this is really beginning to piss me off and make me start to reconsider my decision to buy the CT.......

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Ford expects 15k in the first year of production.
GM expects 25k in the first year of production.
Tesla expects 15k in the first quarter of production, 130k in the first year.

Even if Tesla delays a little, they're expecting to run much faster than the competition.

-Crissa
Sponsored