Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Can a 230 lb. man walk on it when it's deployed? We saw Elon walk on an early prototype vault cover when he was with Jay Leno.
Yep, I've done it. I think its rated to 250 if I remember correctly.

But the fact that the CT cover is likely stronger (and thus probably more rigid and prone to make noise) and yet is quieter than mine, tells me the CT cover is using some really good materials in the railings and high quality ball-bearings.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Yep, I've done it. I think its rated to 250 if I remember correctly.

But the fact that the CT cover is likely stronger (and thus probably more rigid and prone to make noise) and yet is quieter than mine, tells me the CT cover is using some really good materials in the railings and high quality ball-bearings.
Thanks, that's good to know!

I have a Backflip tonneau cover I bought in 2010. I can stand on it, but at 220 lbs. it feels a little sketchy. The worst thing about it is it's a rigid foam backed with aluminum on both sides and, after 4 years, the foam became saturated with water and it will never dry out, even after a long hot summer. It weighs a ton now which is a problem because it has four panels and they need to be flipped back on themselves to open/close the cover. By the time you have to flip 2 panels together, it becomes quite heavy to flip. And, when fully open it blocks the rear window of the cab and takes up the last 6" of the bed.

I still like it even though it's a pain, because it adds security and keeps prying eyes from the bed, but am really looking forward to a motorized cover that is lighter and stronger, so I don't have to flip it to open/close it.

Cybertruck cannot get here soon enough!

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
Thanks, that's good to know!

I have a Backflip tonneau cover I bought in 2010. I can stand on it, but at 220 lbs. it feels a little sketchy. The worst thing about it is it's a rigid foam backed with aluminum on both sides and, after 4 years, the foam became saturated with water and it will never dry out, even after a long hot summer. It weighs a ton now which is a problem because it has four panels and they need to be flipped back on themselves to open/close the cover. By the time you have to flip 2 panels together, it becomes quite heavy to flip. And, when fully open it blocks the rear window of the cab and takes up the last 6" of the bed.

I still like it even though it's a pain, because it adds security and keeps prying eyes from the bed, but am really looking forward to a motorized cover that is lighter and stronger, so I don't have to flip it to open/close it.

Cybertruck cannot get here soon enough!

Is that why it feels so heavy?

I thought I had just gotten weaker opening it over time. Lol

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I'm trying to envision a scenario when you would WANT to open the trap door without dropping the tailgate first. I can't think of one, it would be very awkward at best.
If a kidnapper pushes you in there, closes the door, closes the tailgate and drives off? Somewhere along the line you might at least think about opening the trap door before opening the tailgate.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
If a kidnapper pushes you in there, closes the door, closes the tailgate and drives off? Somewhere along the line you might at least think about opening the trap door before opening the tailgate.
If the compartment is large enough for a human to fit in there, there will be an emergency release inside, just like all Tesla trunks and frunks have.

Someone commented that they didn't think the trunk storage lid could open without opening the tailgate, but I don't think that is correct.
Sponsored