Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
By that measure, Tesla could just have the tonneau fully open when delivering the truck and then lock it there till the customer paid the extra optional fee to get the tonneau cover functionality. As long as the tonneau is permanently fully open, it would be the same as not having a tonneau.

The user can always just "remove" the tonneau in the same way. On the other hand, if the buyer wants to go extreme, they can cut out the tonneau so that even in the fully open position there is nothing showing. Seems kind of pointless to cut it out though.
:rolleyes:
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
One interesting (to me) question:

many states have max rear window tint rules, for among other things officer safety

if with the CT, someone partially rolls up the tonneau only enough to obscure the rear window, wonder how cops will react

there are plenty of bed toppers with no windows that have a similar effect, but those don’t quite have the same vibe as a rolled up armored rear window shield
Aluminum extrusions are far from Armoring.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I bet a common occurrence with the tonneau cover will be unsecured loads inside the bed shifting and denting the vault enough to where it can’t open. Those extrusions will be sensitive to damage. I really think one of leading issues of the CT will be that cover. Literally a piece of gravel lodged in the wrong place can do major damage. Remember Rivian had to recall and redesign their cover.

Depending on the price I might seriously consider not getting it. Simply due to the added risk of issues it presents. I am completely happy with my current truck with no cover.

Miralf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 900 turbo convertible and Tri Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
I bet a common occurrence with the tonneau cover will be unsecured loads inside the bed shifting and denting the vault enough to where it can’t open. Those extrusions will be sensitive to damage. I really think one of leading issues of the CT will be that cover. Literally a piece of gravel lodged in the wrong place can do major damage. Remember Rivian had to recall and redesign their cover.

Depending on the price I might seriously consider not getting it. Simply due to the added risk of issues it presents. I am completely happy with my current truck with no cover.
No cover at all ? All your luggages are waterproof ?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

You already have a 500mi full-size BEV pickup?

Deleted member 3316

Anybody remember the solar tonneau cover rumors? It'd be nice if it were a real thing but I have a hunch the power it would provide would be negligible. You'd need something that folds out to twice the surface area to get maybe enough for a day's commute. Where there any discussions about this at investor day?
There is other utility in a solar tonneau. Especially when camping or on a job site. The small amount of power generated is still free power.

Even if it’s only 15miles a day equivalent, that’s quite a bit of electricity over a week or month.

Deleted member 3316

I wireless camera that takes up a wired port.

:D

If Tesla’s comments about 48v wiring play out, there will be only 1 port coming into the HW4 computer on the Cybertruck. Ethernet.
That would be HW5 then. Even a wireless device needs a port to the processor.

Deleted member 3316

Tambour doors are extremely robust and have been iterated on for well over 100 years. Also the Cybertruck design makes opening jams less likely because gravity will tumble many things down the slope. The Rivian has a flat tonneau, anything on it won’t come off until it reaches the entry point to the stowage area, then….. flip a coin.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Well... The wireless device needs a port. But that port could be at the end of an ethernet cable.

Deleted member 3316

Well... The wireless device needs a port. But that port could be at the end of an ethernet cable.
Sure, but there is an empty camera port on HW4 so that could be it’s function.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It’ll come in via the Ethernet port. Like all data will on the new architecture.