Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Sandy: That's a cyber truck.

He said it has great visibility, better than any other vehicle. rip cval.
Ok I’ve now watched it and am left even more skeptical of Sandy these days

he says a few things I not just disagree with, but think objectively are hard to defend as reasonable

one way or other, he just doesn’t seem all there on this truck
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Actually, he literally did say it had the best visibility since a van.
saw that just now when watch it 🤣

PS: sounds like he also almost hit a front corner when leaving Tesla (and then he did later hit the corner when leaving that parking garage, before going to the off site watch party)

Good for Sandy if he thinks visibility is great when we can’t see out the back, the rear camera is mudded iver, he says he can’t see out of the side mirror, and then had two near/accidents with the front corners in less than 2hrs

And again, I’m not saying these are fundamental to the truck insofar as Tesla has and will improve these things with tech mitigations - but the native limitations are there

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag

he says a few things I not just disagree with, but think objectively are hard to defend as reasonable

Agreed.

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag

Agreed.
PS: honestly I’m surprised he never drove a Ford Aerostar before

1701992995311.jpeg

You should be releasing NDA prototypes from Tesla.

Jow

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser, '94 Bronco
Occupation
Biz Owner
Country flag
today my younger buddy says “sandy’s getting old”. after watching these again i’m saying yep.
oh and love the beginning of this when he’s driving by and says there’s the cyberfactory, mmm-hmmm.

- jow

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Do not agree much with his conclusions about visibility either. Especially the rear. The main rear camera was unusable. The side mirror was also unusable for some reason (did he not bother to adjust it?).

I would be curious at the end where he said "truck buyers are not going to buy it" and "Ford has nothing to worry about".. What was he was basing that on?

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
🤣haven't watched the video, but did he say it in same breath as how in less than 2hrs of driving he also ran the front end into a wall?

meanwhile, I’m out on Munro until he confirms or denies that he’s now contracted to work on the CyberTruck - as he said/suggested in the Musk interview
He was also afraid to drive in the parking garage because he couldn't see the front end.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
today my younger buddy says “sandy’s getting old”. after watching these again i’m saying yep.
oh and love the beginning of this when he’s driving by and says there’s the cyberfactory, mmm-hmmm.

- jow
You can't be "getting" old, if you are already old.

And everyone is getting older. As people age, they tend to become slower and less intelligent, but wiser and more knowledgable, even as they might have more trouble recalling specifics, like words and names.

It happens to farmers, movie stars, clergymen, YouTubers, and Nobel prize winners alike.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
You can't be "getting" old, if you are already old.

And everyone is getting older. As people age, they tend to become slower and less intelligent, but wiser and more knowledgable, even as they might have more trouble recalling specifics, like words and names.

It happens to farmers, movie stars, clergymen, YouTubers, and Nobel prize winners alike.
"I am not as good as I once was, but I am good once as I ever was."

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do not agree much with his conclusions about visibility either. Especially the rear. The main rear camera was unusable. The side mirror was also unusable for some reason (did he not bother to adjust it?).
Sandy qualified his positive comments about the good visibility by saying, "at least to the front and sides", or something equivalent.

I would be curious at the end where he said "truck buyers are not going to buy it" and "Ford has nothing to worry about".. What was he was basing that on?
There are plenty of traditional pickup buyers who will be dead and gone before they ever warm up to something as radical as the Cybertruck. I think Sandy is either addressing how long it will take Tesla to get the Cybertruck above 250,000/year (one production line) or he is underestimating how large the impact is to companies like Ford and GM as sales in their most profitable market segment decline, even if it's only a 10% decline.

It's going to take a while for Cybertruck to take a big bite out of legacy automaker sales, but legacy automakers are going to feel it in an outsized manner when it comes to pickup trucks, their most profitable segment. I'm not sure why Sandy doesn't seem to get this, but maybe it's because he seems to categorize all pickup buyers into the same demographic, forgetting that the older buyers are steadily dying off or transitioning to smaller fixed incomes that can't afford full-sized trucks, and that the truck market depends upon new, younger buyers to replace those lost sales. A significant percentage of all buyers are dying to try something new, something better, something less expensive to keep on the road. It really just depends upon how long it takes Tesla to lower the prices. Price is a compelling changer of behavior.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Sandy qualified his positive comments about the good visibility by saying, "at least to the front and sides", or something equivalent.

There are plenty of traditional pickup buyers who will be dead and gone before they ever warm up to something as radical as the Cybertruck. I think Sandy is either addressing how long it will take Tesla to get the Cybertruck above 250,000/year (one production line) or he is underestimating how large the impact is to companies like Ford and GM as sales in their most profitable market segment decline, even if it's only a 10% decline.

It's going to take a while for Cybertruck to take a big bite out of legacy automaker sales, but legacy automakers are going to feel it in an outsized manner when it comes to pickup trucks, their most profitable segment. I'm not sure why Sandy doesn't seem to get this, but maybe it's because he seems to categorize all pickup buyers into the same demographic, forgetting that the older buyers are steadily dying off or transitioning to smaller fixed incomes that can't afford full-sized trucks, and that the truck market depends upon new, younger buyers to replace those lost sales. A significant percentage of all buyers are dying to try something new, something better, something less expensive to keep on the road. It really just depends upon how long it takes Tesla to lower the prices. Price is a compelling changer of behavior.
For Ford, Lightning is already ~2% of F150 unit sales for 2023.
E-Transit is over 5% of Transit van unit sales in 2023.
Q3 2023 Sales Release

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For Ford, Lightning is already ~2% of F150 unit sales for 2023.
E-Transit is over 5% of Transit van unit sales in 2023.
Q3 2023 Sales Release
I'm not seeing your point.

On a mostly unrelated note, both the F-150 Lightning and the E-Transit van are sold at a large loss, so that's all the more reason it's going to hurt legacy auto acutely as the decline of their most profitable segment (ICE pickups and SUVs) accelerates.

maaficook

First Name
Maafi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Occupation
School Admin
Country flag
PS: honestly I’m surprised he never drove a Ford Aerostar before

1701992995311.jpeg
The Aerostar was my jam in the early 90's! I loved that van...had two bench seats in the rear that folded down to make a whole bed! This was our first family camping van. Drove it from Oakland to New Jersey one summer, too. Mine was gold......

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The Aerostar was my jam in the early 90's! I loved that van...had two bench seats in the rear that folded down to make a whole bed! This was our first family camping van. Drove it from Oakland to New Jersey one summer, too. Mine was gold......
mine was also gold

except for the front doors, which were each two other colors

and the rear benche seats were replaced with bean bags, and a a hookah bolted to the floor

Ahhh, to be a 16yo trailer park redneck again
Sponsored